• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I think I'm convinced to buy a conibear trap, can you recommend a size and online seller?

I went to the property yesterday and found my live trap chewed up again after I repaired it from the last time. I've caught two groundhogs with this trap I paid $70 bucks for so it cost $35 per hog and now have a destroyed trap again. I'm gonna try to fix it but I think it's time to change the game plan. I'm amazed such a big critter can get out of such a small opening.

Find yourself some razor wire and line the inside. That should do the trick, if not..You'll probably find it later outa blood.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    No beans where I normally go, cept one field. Rabbits yes, chucks no.
    Season over for me.
    Now what to do with my two Ruger #1s?
    Get the beater .22-250 sent off to Ruger for new latch, reblue, maybe a new bbl?
    And or send the .22 K Hornet off to be rebarreled in .243 win an get a synth stock?
    Of course the scratched up 3.5-10X AO glossy Leupold is ideal on a .22rf.
    And while a fixed 12X glossy will fit fine with an offset ring at the back...........

am wondering if .243 win, and a synth stock, would lighten a B model up too much, so maybe a boat anchor
    Nightforce NSX would help.

Only 11 months til I get a crack at chuckin again LOL

Proly run the same crap I did this year :)

Last edited:

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    After having my live trap chewed up twice and having two get out I repaired the trap again I don't think they can get out now, at least not from the back of the trap.

So far I've killed a large male, a large female and two pups, the two pups were caught one day apart. The farm and barns have been empty for over ten years so I have big groundhog problem. I kinda felt bad for putting a minimag in the last pups head he was giving me a sad look right before I pulled the trigger. I haven't been using any bait just setting the trap in front of the borrow and covering the trap and hole with plastic.

Last edited:

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I won't claim it as a kill but I shot one from the tractor the other day while mowing. I'm 99% sure that I hit it as it rolled then disappeared into the weeds. The chiggers are really bad so I'm wading into the weeds to look for it.

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I had a big one roaming around last year. I told the wife I needed to shoot it and she made the comment "We are in the woods and you want to kill the animals now?" I chuckled and bit my tongue. This year that big female was out a couple months ago with 7 pups!! They were everywhere around the house. The dogs go nuts when they see them every day. My wife doesn't like them coming close to the house because of fleas and ticks. So she asked me to shoot them. I gave her a look and brought up the killing animals thing. She oddly wasn't amused by my call out.

I told her I would like to have a more accurate 22lr to humanely dispatch them. She agreed. I knew if I bided my time I could justify a $600 22lr. Now I have a CZ 457 Varmint!

I'm with you Longhair, those pups are very alert and as I stare at them with my 16x scope and they stare back, it sucks putting one in their noggin. But they are coming into the clearing right by my electrical box and propane tank. If they chew through either wires or propane lines, I'm going to be mad!

Now if only I could get shots on moles, I'd gladly shoot them. My yard is all tore up and soft. They are throwing raves under my yard!

Top Bottom