• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I finally put my old gas grill out to pasture, and decided to replace it with a flat top griddle:
    View attachment 291686

After seasoning (clarified bacon grease), I did a test run with bacon and eggs. Guys! I never want to cook bacon any other way, ever again.
    View attachment 291687View attachment 291688

But of course, the real test was the sear I could get on ribeyes. I took these just a couple degrees past perfect internally, but for a first run, I'll take it.
    View attachment 291689View attachment 291690View attachment 291691

The flavor certainly isn't the same as what I get on the smoker; but man, you just can't beat that sear.
    That's why I bought a Yoder. It can get up to 800 degrees. Adding the cast iron flat top gives me sear and the flavor from pellets.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That's why I bought a Yoder. It can get up to 800 degrees. Adding the cast iron flat top gives me sear and the flavor from pellets.
    In fairness, I bought it to be a smoker, not a grill. And I never really cared about any temperatures above about 350F. I just wanted the best smoker for my needs.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Completely understand. My first pellet smoker was a Traeger which did fine for lower Temps. When it was time to upgrade, I wanted something that had a wider temperature range. I'm going to add a flat top at some point.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Bacon wrapped chicken bites, drizzle on real maple syrup, dust with black pepper & chili powder, 400 deg & done, delicious. Loving these quick turn meals for good eats on weekday evenings. The small morsels of chicken cook fast & lots of bacon flavor.View attachment 291796
    One of my favorite treats/snacks from Moody's in Avon is their chicken bites (what you did here) and chicken bombs (these, but with jalapeno).

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    One of my favorite treats/snacks from Moody's in Avon is their chicken bites (what you did here) and chicken bombs (these, but with jalapeno).
    MUST visit that place. They even have recipes https://moodysbutchershop.com/recipes/ might have to try those salmon cakes with a low carb substitute for panko breadcrumbs. Sister & myself keep trying to find a way to like salmon, it's suppose to be good for you, ha

1691615509188.png

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Which Yoder did you purchase? How long does it typically take to heat up to say 500 degrees?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Recipe for the taters! Come on man, give it up.
    Actually not much of a recipe at all. Took some good sized baking taters and cut them in half, placed face down. Added about 2 Tbsp butter and fresh garlic to the pan, sprayed them with some olive oil, and sprinkled with kosher salt, and some Kinder's prime rib seasoning. Ran the grill at 400 degrees for about an hour.

The face of the potato was crispy like a good fried tater, but the rest was like a baked tater. This was the first time trying this, and I just took a shot at something new. Now my wife says it is her new favorite way to do taters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom