d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Really fast cook compared to pork loin. Going to wrap one in bacon next time, wish I would have thought of it this time. Hear pork tenderloin called the filet mignon of pork & bacon wrapped filets are awesome, so why not.
    Wrapped in bacon is my favorite for a tenderloin.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Well sure as sh**, packaging says 2 pcs! :ugh: Smithfield, hope it's good.
    I always keep a couple 2 packs like that in the freezer. They thaw fast and cook fast. Great for a quick meal.

I usually smoke them on low(180°) with a smoke tube for about an hour, then crisp up the outside until they are 140-145°.

O4XeY6Kl.jpg

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I always keep a couple 2 packs like that in the freezer. They thaw fast and cook fast. Great for a quick meal.

I usually smoke them on low(180°) with a smoke tube for about an hour, then crisp up the outside until they are 140-145°.
    Yep these are a keeper for a quickie smoke. Thanks for the 180 deg suggestion, I thought 210 was 'low' but definitely too high as they shot up too fast to work in a little glaze. Can't walk away for long, or set a temperature probe alarm. And surprise, left overs are even good cold.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Yep these are a keeper for a quickie smoke. Thanks for the 180 deg suggestion, I thought 210 was 'low' but definitely too high as they shot up too fast to work in a little glaze. Can't walk away for long, or set a temperature probe alarm. And surprise, left overs are even good cold.
    For extra smoke, throw them on still slightly frozen in the middle.

On my big RecTeq pellet smoker, 180° is low, or what they call "extreme smoke" mode. On my smaller one, 200° is low. But whichever one I use, I add the smoke tube cause a little more smoke can't hurt when using pellets.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I finally put my old gas grill out to pasture, and decided to replace it with a flat top griddle:
    20230801_182534.jpg

After seasoning (clarified bacon grease), I did a test run with bacon and eggs. Guys! I never want to cook bacon any other way, ever again.
    20230802_111956.jpg20230802_114335.jpg

But of course, the real test was the sear I could get on ribeyes. I took these just a couple degrees past perfect internally, but for a first run, I'll take it.
    20230805_171359.jpg20230805_172843.jpg20230805_173247.jpg

The flavor certainly isn't the same as what I get on the smoker; but man, you just can't beat that sear.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I finally put my old gas grill out to pasture, and decided to replace it with a flat top griddle:
    View attachment 291686

After seasoning (clarified bacon grease), I did a test run with bacon and eggs. Guys! I never want to cook bacon any other way, ever again.
    View attachment 291687View attachment 291688

But of course, the real test was the sear I could get on ribeyes. I took these just a couple degrees past perfect internally, but for a first run, I'll take it.
    View attachment 291689View attachment 291690View attachment 291691

The flavor certainly isn't the same as what I get on the smoker; but man, you just can't beat that sear.
    My brother got into the pellet grill awhile back which he still loves and now he has a flattop griddle that his wife recently bought him for his b-day to go along with it and he's really digging that now too.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My brother got into the pellet grill awhile back which he still loves and now he has a flattop griddle that his wife recently bought him for his b-day to go along with it and he's really digging that now too.
    It seems like it will be a perfect combination. I can do just about anything on the pellet grill (smoker), up to a practical temperature of about 400F. (If there's any buildup inside at all, the thing starts flaming at higher temperatures.) So, I'm covered for smoking up through roasting. But it's not ideal for searing. The griddle solves that problem, while also being perfect for anything that needs high/fast cooking (steaks, burgers, etc.) or low/fast cooking (eggs, etc.). I also love cast iron for roasted vegetables, and no longer have to take up space in the smoker for things like mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, etc.

Reactions: KG1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom