Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ladies and gents...

I have heard from one of my contacts at the State House that at least one *very* good bill is being introduced. I do not have specifics to tell you at this time, but if you have not done so (or even if you have,) now is a good time to contact your state senator and state representative and tell them CIVILLY AND POLITELY that you support legislation that removes requirements and hurdles and obstacles in the way of good people being lawfully armed. I cannot stress enough that civility and politeness is of the greatest importance behind the issue of writing to them at all. In the past, many of you will remember that we've had good bills "die on the vine", never even getting heard in committee, let alone making it to the floor to a vote. I don't want to see any good bills do that this year.

Now: We all have our wish lists. We all know things we want to see change in the law. To some, even to some "A" rated legislators, some of those things are just crazy. Why would we want felons to be able to be lawfully armed? Why would we want to have more guns in schools? Why would we not want to require a LTCH? Remember that if they don't read here, they may not have exposure to the correct side of this debate, and may be hearing from and discounting 99% of the BradyMdABloombergMAIGEverytown :poop:, but that 1% that still resonates with them may not have anything to counter it.
    So, my suggestion is that we ask them to support the rights of the majority of lawful, peaceable, gun-owning Hoosiers.

To wit:

Dear Senator/Representative _____________,

Good day. I am writing to ask for your vote in favor of the rights of the good, peaceable, lawful constituents that voted for you to represent them. I am aware that in recent years, there have been some very beneficial advancements, improving our state's laws regarding the carry of firearms. I am also aware that there has been some talk of the extension of preemption to state-level agencies and the removal of restrictive, outdated laws such as the state-level restriction preventing the possession of lawfully owned and ATF-registered, short-barreled shotguns, and the removal of such outmoded (and originally racist!) ideas such as the requirement of a police-issued license to be allowed to carry a handgun on one's person.

If you become aware of bills that expand on the ability of good, peaceable citizens to lawfully exercise their God-given, and dually-Constitutionally-protected rights to keep and bear arms, I ask that you actively and openly support the passage of those bills into law.

Thank you for your time, your service, and your attention to this letter. The favor of a reply is requested, preferably with a pledge to support bills as noted above.

May this session be fruitful and at the same time, protective of individual liberties, and God bless you.

(signed)

I'd also suggest that a similar letter go to Rep. Dermody, in charge of the House committee that will hear such bills as I described.

Let him know that there is support for these bills, and maybe we won't see any die in committee. With 73 "A" or better rated members of the House... there is no reason we should not see good gun laws come out of this session. Start writing now, folks, please!

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll get right on that in the morning, Bill.

Ladies and gents...

I have heard from one of my contacts at the State House that at least one *very* good bill is being introduced. I do not have specifics to tell you at this time, but if you have not done so (or even if you have,) now is a good time to contact your state senator and state representative and tell them CIVILLY AND POLITELY that you support legislation that removes requirements and hurdles and obstacles in the way of good people being lawfully armed. I cannot stress enough that civility and politeness is of the greatest importance behind the issue of writing to them at all. In the past, many of you will remember that we've had good bills "die on the vine", never even getting heard in committee, let alone making it to the floor to a vote. I don't want to see any good bills do that this year.

Now: We all have our wish lists. We all know things we want to see change in the law. To some, even to some "A" rated legislators, some of those things are just crazy. Why would we want felons to be able to be lawfully armed? Why would we want to have more guns in schools? Why would we not want to require a LTCH? Remember that if they don't read here, they may not have exposure to the correct side of this debate, and may be hearing from and discounting 99% of the BradyMdABloombergMAIGEverytown :poop:, but that 1% that still resonates with them may not have anything to counter it.
    So, my suggestion is that we ask them to support the rights of the majority of lawful, peaceable, gun-owning Hoosiers.

To wit:

I'd also suggest that a similar letter go to Rep. Dermody, in charge of the House committee that will hear such bills as I described.

Let him know that there is support for these bills, and maybe we won't see any die in committee. With 73 "A" or better rated members of the House... there is no reason we should not see good gun laws come out of this session. Start writing now, folks, please!

Blessings,
    Bill

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Contacting your Representative or Senator to encourage them to hear and support any gun bills can NOT be stressed enough. Don't wait until the last minute, as by then it is most likely to not do as much good as early encouragement. We only have a short window each year to gain ground, so get involved and do as much as you can early. You're here on this site for a reason, now is the time to do something positive about it!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Annnnnnnnd they're off!

Off their rockers, that is.

Specifically, Sen. Jean Breaux appears to me to be, anyway. Ms. Breaux has introduced SB 46 and 48, of direct interest here.

SB 46 adds to the lawful use of force statute provisions as follows:
    SENATE BILL No. 46
    _____

DIGEST OF INTRODUCED BILL
    Citations Affected: IC 35-41-3-2.
    Synopsis: Self defense. Specifies that a person is not justified in using force against another person if the person using force: (1) is the initial aggressor; (2) has reached a place of safety after escaping an attack and immediately returns to the location of the attack (unless the location is the person's property or residence); or (3) is pursuing an attacker or trespasser who has retreated and no longer presents a threat to the person.
    Effective: July 1, 2015.

So essentially, she's trying to pass a Trayvon Martin law in Indiana, or at least her perception of what happened when Martin was seen in that FL neighborhood.

Her other bill is SB 48, as follows:
    SENATE BILL No. 48
    _____
    Citations Affected: IC 35-47-2.
    Synopsis: Handgun training. Requires a person who applies after
    December 31, 2015, for a license to carry a handgun to first complete
    an eight hour handgun safety and training program.

Alternatively, SB 38, by Sen. Brent Steele, looks to be a good law to me.

SENATE BILL No. 38
    _____
    Citations Affected: IC 34-7-8.
    Synopsis: Application of foreign law. Provides that a court may not
    apply, enforce, or grant comity, res judicata, claim preclusion, or issue
    preclusion to a foreign law, ruling, or judgment if doing so would
    violate the fundamental liberties, rights, and privileges guaranteed by
    the Constitution of the United States or the Constitution of the State of
    Indiana. Provides that a provision in a contract or agreement: (1) that
    provides for the choice of foreign laws in its interpretation; or (2) that
    provides for the choice of venue or forum; and that would result in a
    violation of a fundamental liberty, right, or privilege guaranteed by the
    Constitution of the United States or the Constitution of the State of
    Indiana is void and unenforceable. Prohibits a court from granting
    certain motions if the transfer is likely to affect the constitutional rights
    of the nonmoving party. Provides that a court may not require or
    authorize any court to: (1) adjudicate or prohibit a religious
    organization from adjudicating ecclesiastical matters; or (2) determine
    or interpret the doctrine of a religious organization.

Think: UN Arms Trade Treaty, folks.

Also, don't forget about SB 13, 25, 31, and 65-104, all of which are "vehicle bills" that can become anything.

There are no bills published on the House side at this writing.

Blessings,
    Bill

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    not a fan...

SENATE BILL No. 46
    _____

Citations Affected: IC 35-41-3-2.
    Synopsis: Self defense. Specifies that a person is not justified in using force against another person if the person using force: (1) is the initial aggressor; (2) has reached a place of safety after escaping an attack and immediately returns to the location of the attack (unless the location is the person's property or residence); or (3) is pursuing an attacker or trespasser who has retreated and no longer presents a threat to the person.
    what, in this law, isn't already perused during a normal self defense investigation?

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Session starts Tuesday, and then there is only a VERY SHORT WINDOW to enact positive change about your gun rights. There are going to be some really good bills offered and if you care anything at all about your gun rights, get involved EARLY AND OFTEN and let your support be known to your legislators and Committee Chairs.
    Or, don't do anything, but don't complain.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Session starts Tuesday, and then there is only a VERY SHORT WINDOW to enact positive change about your gun rights. There are going to be some really good bills offered and if you care anything at all about your gun rights, get involved EARLY AND OFTEN and let your support be known to your legislators and Committee Chairs.
    Or, don't do anything, but don't complain.

How about some teasers JG?

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    Annnnnnnnd they're off!

Off their rockers, that is.

Specifically, Sen. Jean Breaux appears to me to be, anyway. Ms. Breaux has introduced SB 46 and 48, of direct interest here.

SB 46 adds to the lawful use of force statute provisions as follows:

So essentially, she's trying to pass a Trayvon Martin law in Indiana, or at least her perception of what happened when Martin was seen in that FL neighborhood.

Her other bill is SB 48, as follows:

Alternatively, SB 38, by Sen. Brent Steele, looks to be a good law to me.

Think: UN Arms Trade Treaty, folks.

Also, don't forget about SB 13, 25, 31, and 65-104, all of which are "vehicle bills" that can become anything.

There are no bills published on the House side at this writing.

Blessings,
    Bill

Wouldn't SENATE BILL No. 48 be good because several states who have the training course does not have reciprocity with Indiana for that reason. No training course no reciprocity????

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wouldn't SENATE BILL No. 48 be good because several states who have the training course does not have reciprocity with Indiana for that reason. No training course no reciprocity????

No. Last thing we need is the State to mandate new LTCH requirements. I am all for training but mandatory training will do nothing except create an opportunity for discrimination and won't do anything to improve safety. Only way I would get on the mandatory training band wagon is if the State removes some of the restrictions of where I can carry such as schools or Corp or Engineers lakes. (Of course the lake issue is out of our hands at the state level)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Soon, grasshopper :)

In all seriousness, is there a strategy involved in not filing the prospective bills ASAP? For example, do they test the waters to see how much support there'll be for a particular bill to see if it's even worth the effort?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think it's more, I have one, but it's not ready quite yet/I'm working out the bugs with LSA before I introduce it, so I'm putting this up as a "placeholder" for it. They also have several like that, just in case a placeholder might be needed.

Just a guess.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think it's more, I have one, but it's not ready quite yet/I'm working out the bugs with LSA before I introduce it, so I'm putting this up as a "placeholder" for it. They also have several like that, just in case a placeholder might be needed.

Just a guess.

Blessings,
    Bill
    That makes sense. Will they likely fill all of those "Vehicle" bills with real ones too? I also wondered why they called all of them "Vehicle" bills too.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That makes sense. Will they likely fill all of those "Vehicle" bills with real ones too? I also wondered why they called all of them "Vehicle" bills too.

Because they're using them to drive us a little nuts waiting to see what will come of them? :joke:

Most of the time, they don't all become real bills, but lots of them do. Be ever vigilant!

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom