Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK. Rep. Lucas' bill, HB 1048, as a single bill, is dead. We will not see HB 1048 become law this session. The reason for this is not clear. However, there are attempts to put pieces of it into other bills that will pass. Please keep the polite, civil, but constant pressure on your legislators to pass pro-gun-rights legislation. Keep in mind that even though the bills for this year didn't pass in their full form, Chairman Rep. Dermody will be the man that decides what gets heard in that committee going forward as well. Please keep all your letters polite, especially to him.

This sucks, but it could be much worse... at least it still has a chance.

I do not understand why, when an incident like the murder in West Lafayette occurs, the antis all rush to push more restrictions on those who didn't commit any crimes, but our side never tries to push laws that would actually prevent or minimize the damage that criminals cause when bad laws disarm good people.

Blessings,
    Bill

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    OK. Rep. Lucas' bill, HB 1048, as a single bill, is dead. We will not see HB 1048 become law this session. The reason for this is not clear. However, there are attempts to put pieces of it into other bills that will pass. Please keep the polite, civil, but constant pressure on your legislators to pass pro-gun-rights legislation.

This sucks, but it could be much worse... at least it still has a chance.

I do not understand why, when an incident like the murder in West Lafayette occurs, the antis all rush to push more restrictions on those who didn't commit any crimes, but our side never tries to push laws that would actually prevent or minimize the damage that criminals cause when bad laws disarm good people.

Blessings,
    Bill

Simple logic would show that had laws been in place to prevent the possession of firearms on campus, that this criminal wouldn't have broken the law....gotta love it. This just angers me to the core. We will use the constitution of Indiana to take rights away from one group of people, but not enact laws that gives people their constitutionally PROTECTED rights. I love how backwards we can be! It seems a simple class for all legislators is in order; one that explains to them what the constitution is for, what the words in it mean, and how to treat it. You know, since they did take an oath to uphold the constitution:rolleyes:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We just need to elect better public servants. That's the answer. I won't personally be giving up anymore of my rights, so for me it can only get better. If I have to pound on doors to help a new blood get elected that's what I'll do. I'm done being polite with people who aren't doing their job according to their oath.
    dormody just lost my support

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Trigger, let's puzzle this out. Dermody does not have to hear any bills. If he chooses not to put one before the committee, that is his choice, just as it was for Bill Davis before him. The answer is not necessarily removal and taking our chances with some unknown quantity, but rather education. If we let him and others know what they did by stopping this bill, letting them know what risk they've allowed Hoosiers to remain exposed to, hopefully we can get better bills (like Constitutional Carry?) through next year. If we alienate him, what chance do you think that has? Also... SB 229 still has to go through the House, too. Wanna guess what committee it probably goes to?

Let's be clear: I don't like what happened any more than anyone else does. Remaining polite to our legislators, the gate through which we have to pass to get good laws passed, however, remains a necessity.

As for not giving up any more of your rights.... ignoring the impossibility of doing so, all it takes is for a bill to get through, such as SB 46, to make your ability to exercise that right go away, with or without your consent. If a legislator has the option of doing what they're asked to do vs. what they're told and demanded to do... which do you think they're going to choose?

Polite is a better choice, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

We just need to elect better public servants. That's the answer. I won't personally be giving up anymore of my rights, so for me it can only get better. If I have to pound on doors to help a new blood get elected that's what I'll do. I'm done being polite with people who aren't doing their job according to their oath.
    dormody just lost my support

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well we disagree somewhat on this BOR, and that's ok. I my eyes this rep and ones like him are cowards and shame the office they have been trusted to hold.
    i won't beg for him or others to do what's right by the constitution. I will demand. We all need to start demanding instead of getting all googly eyed because they are in a position of power.
    my letters will be changing their tone from now on. You can write yours how you like. They work for us.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Well we disagree somewhat on this BOR, and that's ok. I my eyes this rep and ones like him are cowards and shame the office they have been trusted to hold.
    i won't beg for him or others to do what's right by the constitution. I will demand. We all need to start demanding instead of getting all googly eyed because they are in a position of power.
    my letters will be changing their tone from now on. You can write yours how you like. They work for us.

I agree. Just make sure you (not just you, but everyone) proofread (or have someone else) it before you send it. Nothing worse than seeing someone with a good point not be able to explain themself through broken sentences and words.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I agree. Just make sure you (not just you, but everyone) proofread (or have someone else) it before you send it. Nothing worse than seeing someone with a good point not be able to explain themself through broken sentences and words.
    Yep I agree. I always do.
    Funny how a lot of politicians are crooks, or total slime balls and still feel they should be treated like gold and legitimate, but if a constituent has a typo or less of an education (because of a failed govt sponsored education system) they are somehow not important enough to count.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think we may be talking about different things. Nowhere have I said anything about getting "googly-eyed" and nowhere have I said we should kiss their back ends.

I said we should be polite. That doesn't mean we can't differ. That doesn't mean we can't hold someone accountable for their decisions. What it means is that you use good manners, polite words, and the same respect you expect in return when you talk with someone.

Your note, to which I'm responding and which I quoted below is a good example. You disagree with what I'm saying, but you were well-mannered and polite in how you explained your position to me.

Dear Rep. Dermody,

I saw that your committee did not take a vote on HB 1048 to send it to the full house. I am confused. There was much support for this bill, and indeed, you seemed very supportive yourself. Then, the murder (and let's be clear, that's all it was was a murder) happened in West Lafayette- a murder which would have made maybe page 2 of a newspaper, had it happened five or six blocks in just about any direction- and suddenly, that bill was off limits? This makes little sense, especially when the anti-gun rights people typically use incidents like this to advance their agenda. An armed citizen might have stopped this crime.

As a constituent, I would like to know why the change of heart. The favor of a reply is requested.

Thank you very much for your service and your attention to this request.

Most sincerely,

(signed)

No begging. No butt-kissing. Still polite.

Make more sense?

Blessings,
    Bill

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I think we may be talking about different things. Nowhere have I said anything about getting "googly-eyed" and nowhere have I said we should kiss their back ends.

I said we should be polite. That doesn't mean we can't differ. That doesn't mean we can't hold someone accountable for their decisions. What it means is that you use good manners, polite words, and the same respect you expect in return when you talk with someone.

Your note, to which I'm responding and which I quoted below is a good example. You disagree with what I'm saying, but you were well-mannered and polite in how you explained your position to me.

No begging. No butt-kissing. Still polite.

Make more sense?

Blessings,
    Bill

Good letter, and I am plagiarizing it:): I haven't written since I got angry, but I will soon. There are plenty of other issues I will be sending letters about as well.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't have a problem with people using letters I write. I ask that you not use it in its entirety, or at least not without your own thoughts attached, in the same spirit, because I want our reps to see lots of people with similar thoughts, rather than one person's thoughts, to which a whole bunch of people say, "Yeah, me too!"

Fair enough?

Blessings,
    Bill

Good letter, and I am plagiarizing it:): I haven't written since I got angry, but I will soon. There are plenty of other issues I will be sending letters about as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom