• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Does anyone know anything recent about the status of other gun/self defense related legislation such as HBs 1017 and 1018 and SBs 45 and 46? I have been trying to follow these but have not seen them come up in committee meetings.

From everything I have seen, they are dead.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Emailed both State Senator Joe Zakas and State Rep. Timothy Wesco. (Thanks 7.62 for the template!)

A copy of what I sent:

Hello Mr. Zakas, my name is "Hookedonjeep", and I'm writing you today to bring attention to the possibility of a piece of excellent legislation making it to the house floor. A few weeks ago, the great bill of HB 1048 was not heard in a committee, and has since died. It has been brought to my attention however, that some language from that bill may make its may into another bill. As you will recall, HB 1048 ended the prohibition on law-abiding, peaceable citizens who go armed having their firearms in their locked vehicles at "school" buildings. It also eliminated the "roaming school zone", both areas of the law that threaten to make criminals, felons at that, of citizens who have no wish or intent to do anything other than not be a victim of a criminal.

As a Hoosier who refuses to be a victim of senseless crime, I must say that it seems preposterous to have "gun-free zones" such as "school zones", as those who engage in criminal activity don't care what any law says - in fact such places make it easier for them do whatever they want; with no fear of an immediate and lethal response from responsible citizens, they act with impunity. Such zones punish the innocent, as I and others like me are forced to disarm in order to comply with the law while engaged in school activities that occur outside of school or simply picking my child up from school.

Mr. Zakas, while this language is not currently contained in any upcoming legislation, there is a good chance that it will in an upcoming proposal. I urge you, if this unnamed bill is to be brought to a vote, that you please vote in favor of its passing.

Thank you for your time Mr. Zakas, and God bless you.

Sincerely,
    "Hookedonjeep"

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Don't thank me everyone, it's a group effort, and should always be so. While most of that is mine, I also took a segment from BOR's template. Please, if you must, take exactly what I said and use it verbatim. BOR keeps us informed, and It's our job to act upon so.

If you guys feel like my template was good, and I should be thanking you! Because that means you took the time to send Emails yourself!

Thank you everyone who either used my, or Bill's template to send Emails! Let our voices be heard!

God bless you all

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK... I heard from the House today... to be more specific, I got an email from Rep. Lucas himself. I had written to him to ask him if he would be willing to get a moment of Gov. Pence's time to ask him to sign the letter for West Virginia recognition. (I'd written to ask, but my letter got forwarded to ISP.) He said he would do so and he also said that efforts are still in the works to make the language of HB 1048 into a good law this year. I also heard from my contact there and was told that the letters are a good thing and need to keep coming... Polite, as usual, and lots of them.

Keep up the pressure, ladies and gents, we are having an effect!

Blessings,
    Bill

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    OK... I heard from the House today... to be more specific, I got an email from Rep. Lucas himself. I had written to him to ask him if he would be willing to get a moment of Gov. Pence's time to ask him to sign the letter for West Virginia recognition. (I'd written to ask, but my letter got forwarded to ISP.) He said he would do so and he also said that efforts are still in the works to make the language of HB 1048 into a good law this year. I also heard from my contact there and was told that the letters are a good thing and need to keep coming... Polite, as usual, and lots of them.

Keep up the pressure, ladies and gents, we are having an effect!

Blessings,
    Bill

Sounds good. If you find out what bill and committee the language makes its way to, if it does, please let us know so that we can contact the committee members.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm not BoR ... (different Bill) but ... SB 229 is in the HOUSE PUBLIC POLICY committee. This is where HB 1048 stalled, and Mr. Lucas is on this committee; also a few co-authors added to HB 1048 ...

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    For the moment - no new updates.
    SB 229 is in the House Public Policy Committee; no meetings scheduled yet.
    Mr. Lucas has co-sponsored SB 229; and hopefully we see HB 1048 and HB 1018 get a shot at being amended.

SB 169 doesn't have a house committee assigned yet.
    SJR 009 also doesn't have a house committee assigned yet.
    both of these have several good house co-sponsors though.

I hope some of you (at least, better would be a lot of you) ... are writing to the Committee Chairman (Mr Dermody) - members of the committee and Speaker Bosma, as well as your local representatives to get these items brought to a floor vote.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Update - Just saw posted:
    House Public Policy Committee - First /next Meets on Wednesday 2/12 9 am - All bills are dealing w/ Alcohol Sales; SB 229 is NOT on the agenda.

SB 169 sent to House Courts and Crimianal Code Committee - No agenda / meeting yet.

SJR 9 - House Judiciary Committee - not on agenda yet.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I wrote Justin Moed, (house 97) and I got an exceedingly pro 2nd amendment personally wrote response! And he is a Democrat.

I guess there might be hope for the "other party"

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I guess there might be hope for the "other party"

Locally, by personal contact...maybe. Nationally, they've all sold their souls to the gun control crowd.

The only reason Donelly votes the way he does on firearms is that he knows how many other issues he betrays his constituents on this is the one that will see him hung out to dry.

Obamascare? Nope, seems to have no traction.

Take away our guns? We're coming to get you Joe. He won't vote 'yea' on this one until he knows we have no teeth left.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Update - Just saw posted:
    House Public Policy Committee - First /next Meets on Wednesday 2/12 9 am - All bills are dealing w/ Alcohol Sales; SB 229 is NOT on the agenda.

SB 169 sent to House Courts and Crimianal Code Committee - No agenda / meeting yet.

SJR 9 - House Judiciary Committee - not on agenda yet.

Is anyone still writing / pushing Rep. Dermody, Speaker Bosma or any of our other legislators on the firearms issues that are alive?
    I hope at least a few of you are.

Thus far this week: H.Juciary - nothing on agenda.
    H.Public Policy committee - no agenda posted.
    H. Courts n Criminal Code - no agenda posted.

Per an exchange of e-mail last week w/ Mr. Lucas' aid - the schedule of meeting, and agendas is normally with very little notice - even to the legislators. Therefore, it is important to stay on Mr. Dermody, and the others.

We have until next week, if I understand correctly. - keep up the pressure.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Is anyone still writing / pushing Rep. Dermody, Speaker Bosma or any of our other legislators on the firearms issues that are alive?
    I hope at least a few of you are.

Thus far this week: H.Juciary - nothing on agenda.
    H.Public Policy committee - no agenda posted.
    H. Courts n Criminal Code - no agenda posted.

Per an exchange of e-mail last week w/ Mr. Lucas' aid - the schedule of meeting, and agendas is normally with very little notice - even to the legislators. Therefore, it is important to stay on Mr. Dermody, and the others.

We have until next week, if I understand correctly. - keep up the pressure.

I have written my senator and representative, as well as Mr. Dermody on the issue. I hope others are doing the same. I didn't receive a response from any of those I emailed, even though I asked multiple questions (ok, maybe some of them were rhetorical) hoping to receive a response, or at the very least provoke a thought process with them. Maybe not:dunno:

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Called about it on my way to work. Not sure if I'm following the correct process but talked to Steve Braun's office (my district) asking for his support and any provisions to HB1018/1048 that could be added.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The House committee on Public Policy (Rep. Dermody chairing) today heard SB 229, Sen. Jim Tomes' bill to end "gun buybacks" in Indiana. Sen. Tomes spoke, as did a sheriff (I didn't catch his name), and a representative of the FWPD, as well as a representative of the Indiana Association of Cities and Towns (I think that's the right name). Each of them had some problem with the bill. The sheriff wanted to keep the ability to decide which guns to sell and which to destroy. The FWPD wanted the same. The Cities and towns guy made a claim that this bill "infringed upon home rule".
    Meanwhile, there was also an argument from the ISRPA, favoring this bill.

As with 1048, they did not vote today on it. I suspect that will happen next week, but I don't know that.
    Keep in mind, though, this was where 1048 fell, when a murder was committed. In short... let's keep those polite, civil letters and calls coming in. There's not much telling what legislators will do at this point. The session is almost over. Let's keep what we want at the forefront of their minds!

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom