Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I received a letter in my snail-mail today from my representative. This is the first year, due to redistricting, that I am in this district, but I am quite pleased with the letter I recevied.

Dear Mr. ________:

Thank you for contacting my office concerning your support of SB 229 (Firearm Matters). I appreciate receiving input from District 27 constituents. SB 229 was signed into law by the Governor.

The 2014 session ended on March 13th. Please do not hesitate to contact my office about this or any other issue in the future. My office would be happy to provide you with status updates on relevant legislation and answer any questions you may have. Thank you again for sharing your concerns with my office.

Sincerely,

(hand signed)

Sheila J. Klinker
    State Representative
    House District #26
    (sic)

In addition, Rep. Klinker also hand wrote, "Many thanks again for taking the time to write about SB 229. Gratefully, Sheila" and "I voted for this bill!"

The letter itself is obviously a form letter. I take no issue with that; I'm one of thousands of constituents, and I expect if I get a letter at all, it will be a generic form, mail-merged with my name and attempting to address the general topic about which I wrote.

The fact that the letter is hand-signed (with a marker, such that I can see a bit of bleed-through on the back) and a slightly-more-personal note added, in the same handwriting, surprised me.

Mrs. Klinker was a schoolteacher. She is a lifelong Democrat. I've not ever seen her record to be particularly pro-gun rights. That she took the time to personally hand-write a note to someone on "the other side of the fence", noting that she specifically voted for this bill, impresses me. (In fairness, when I wrote to her about HB 1048, which was, in part, amended into SB 229, I specifically stated that I did not expect her to agree with me, but that I asked her to vote to pass that legislation in accordance with her oath of office.)

I am not inclined to vote for her generally, as I know what happens when Pat Bauer is in charge in the House, and I don't want to see that again. That said, however, I am pleased to see that my voice is not simply "in the wilderness" in this district.

I don't know if she reads here, but Rep. Klinker, if you are reading this, thank you for doing the right thing. It is appreciated.

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom