Not open for further replies.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Forgive me if I'm missing something, but it's this about the same thing as the INNG Reserve?

Good point, but not really. This organization would be more statewide. The INGR focuses on replacing state mission NG units when they deploy, they provide training for their membership accordingly. This organization would cast a broader net and focus on training citizens and educating them on our heritage as citizen soldiers and engagement in the shooting sports. The Guard Reserve has a specified end strength where as the INV would be considered open ended based on legal firearms owners who want to participate. Since the AG can call on both organizations they would be complimentary. They receive about the same pay though...a hand shake and a thanks for participating.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I have just returned home from Indianapolis. I spoke this morning, along with several others, on HB 1048. Speaking in favor were a representative from the NRA, from ISRPA, and me. Speaking... well... not exactly in favor, but not standing against, were a representative from the Superintendent's Association and a representative from the Indiana Prosecuting Attorney's Association. (apologies if I've misnamed any of the groups. I didn't take written notes as to who was who.)
    Prior to any of us speaking, the committee accepted an amendment to the bill, returning the penalty to a Level 6 felony, not an A misdemeanor.
    The prosecutors were going to request that, their speaker said, and they also had a couple of questions about some apparent contradictions in the text. They did try to carve out an exception or two, but to all appearances today, seemed to have been "shut down". I did notice Rep. Lucas speaking with them at length afterward as well.
    The superintendent's association had a couple of questions that were clarified by explanation, and once explained, their speaker stated aloud in the meeting that the bill had their support.
    The ISRPA rep and the NRA both support the bill, needless to say, as did I.

Of the committee members, I got the impression of strong support from Rep. Dermody and several others. Although the Democrat committee members asked several questions, they seemed to see the wisdom of it's passage once they were presented with facts and data to support the pro-rights position. All in all, I'm pleased with this bill and the reception it received. Rep. Lucas is a rock-solid 2A representative of the people, and I would be exceptionally surprised if his NRA rating after his freshman term as a legislator is not equally rock-solid A+. Reps Dermody, Eberhart, Clere, and Messmer spoke positively during the meeting, and they and others spoke briefly to me afterward, thanking me for participating. They held the bill, meaning they plan to vote on it next week to pass it on to the full House.

I'd like to thank those who have written to support this bill and also HB 1017 and 1018.
    I've also realized that I've not said anything to support SB 229, from Sen. Tomes, which basically outlaws the practice of LEAs buying guns from the public among other good provisions. Sen. Tomes has been a good friend to Indiana's gun owners and I trust his judgment on what a good bill is on this topic. I heard a rumor that his bill is to be heard next week some time, but this is only rumor at this point.

Ladies and gents, I think we won this round, but the battle is not over, nor are any of the others. Polite, civil letters and phone contacts helped get us this far. Let's keep them up. HB 1017, HB 1018, and SB 229 have yet to be heard. HB 1048 has been heard, but not voted upon, and they all have to move to the house that did not originate them after they get the votes to pass their originating house.

When you write to support these, make sure you note that in the "poll" thread (Link here) I created, too. I'm looking to see 300 letters (less than 1% of INGO members!) to support these bills, and we have a long way to go to reach that.

Thanks again to all who have gotten involved!

Blessings,
    Bill

How long will it take them to update the info you speak of here? Indiana General Assembly - 2014 Session

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ladies and gents,
    HB 1018 and HB 1048 are still up for discussion and vote, respectively, however my contact at the Capitol informs me that now more than ever, POLITE letters to your reps are important. Let's not let one anus kill our chances to get some good law this session. Please write your reps and senators now.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ladies and gents,
    HB 1018 and HB 1048 are still up for discussion and vote, respectively, however my contact at the Capitol informs me that now more than ever, POLITE letters to your reps are important. Let's not let one anus kill our chances to get some good law this session. Please write your reps and senators now.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Does this mean HB1017 is now off the table?

What is the status of the SB's?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Does this mean HB1017 is now off the table?

I see that it was referred to Judiciary and is currently not on the agenda. Tomorrow is the last available schedule. I'm not sure how up to date the site stays. I'm thinking not very when the topics are moving out.

Good Ole Rocky Top! I hear they're not singing that any more...but that's probably for another forum.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    UPDATE HB1048 - direct from the committee meeting and follow-up:

HB 1048 was tabled today; out of respect for the tragic events at Purdue University yesterday.
    It will be brought up again and likely voted on NEXT TUESDAY (Jan 28) - in the House PUBLIC POLICY committee.
    I spoke with Mr. Lucas (afterwords); he asked that we continue to write and support
    - with RESPECTFUL and POLITE letters and or calls - to the committee and other legislators.
    Politely stress the positive FACTS of this bill; - not emotions - Many of those we writing to are uninformed, (hopefully not the fearful).

He also thought that HB 1017 and HB 1018 would also be getting hearing next week (or soon). ... we will do our best to keep you updated.
    Please get everyone on board - we need to contact the committee first and then our legislators at large to see this get passed.
    Please share this and get everyone you can writing; in particular, if you are or know any students or others involved with SCC
    (Students for Concealed Carry) - be sure they are writing too.

Mr. Lucas felt that yesterdays trajedy, points all the more to support the cause for legal carry.
    Laws restricting and limiting carry only make us potential victims without the proper tools or means of self-defense.
    Thanks.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sorry, I was sick yesterday and slept in this morning. I didn't get a chance to watch the committee meetings for SB 229 or HB 1048. However, my contact at the Capitol reiterated my comment from yesterday. No, SB 1017 is not dead, I just mentioned the two before House Public Policy. House Judiciary still has 1017 before it, just as Senate Judiciary has 229. I'm going to try to find status reports on everything in a few minutes, but in the meantime, write to your reps if you want to see good laws passed to remove bad laws.

Of note, I'm told that the front page story in the Indy Star this AM will actually help our case. If so, kudos to them for writing it.

Blessings,
    Bill

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It was a murder. Not a larger tradgedy. Just giving the other side fuel by even acknowledging it. Respectful and polite letters is what I have been doing, but by denying our natural rights THEY are the ones being disrespectful. I understand some public officials are outnumbered and that's not their fault. I'm not angry at the ones supporting the constitution. It's just very frustrating when the govt doesn't follow the rules. And even passes laws to restrict us.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Thanks, Bill for keeping us informed with the latest. Please continue to do so and we will continue to contact those legislators who are directly involved at this point.

gjclark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My email to my Rep. in District 85:

"I wanted to let you know that I truly appreciate your hard work in the 2014 Legislative Sessions. Your service to this state earns my gratitude and I hope you and your family are blessed because of your time in office. I am writing you to express my support for 3 bills currently being discussed. I believe that as a state and as a country we need to reduce the amount of legislation surrounding the 2nd Amendment. I have found that HB 1017, HB 1018, and HB 1048 do just that. With special regard to HB 1018, I would like to refer to the tragic incident which occurred at my Alma Mater on January 21. Being a recent Purdue Alumni, I have many friends as well as a significant other who are still on campus. It breaks my heart to hear that so many of those friends had to hide under desks in fear because they were exposed and defenseless during that time. Purdue University currently bans firearms on campus and threatens to take action against any student who might find possession of one a necessary means for the preservation of their life and liberties. I believe that by banning weapons, Purdue has mandated many law-abiding adults to walk around unconstitutionally vulnerable. Although the phrase may be deemed graphic, "state-instituted slaughter pen," is exactly how I would describe a known gun-free zone. Cowardly criminals have nothing to fear when they appear on campus with an intention to harm my fellow Boilermakers. This must stop! If a citizen of the United States who is a resident of the State of Indiana, has proven himself to be lawful and responsible and is therefore not a prohibited person there is no reason to keep him from defending his life while seeking higher education. Please vote in favor for these three bills and give extra consideration to HB 1018. The lives of my friends and compatriots depend on it."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Partly right, Trigger. It was a murder. It was a tragedy. It does NOT give the other side any fuel to acknowledge it, IMHO, it is showing respect to the families of the victim(s).

Allow me to offer a different perspective, if I may. Those who passed the law requiring a LTCH are long out of the legislature. The people in charge at Purdue and other colleges and universities are not the ones making the laws. (pushing for exceptions, etc., yes, a couple of years ago, but not making the laws)

President Daniels, when he was our governor, did a few things some folks didn't like, but in re: gun rights, he did some very good things, including signing into law the provision allowing you to not have to renew the LTCH anymore. (why didn't he abolish it? Because a bill to do so never came to his desk) I would not be surprised if, after a respectful time, he implemented a change at Purdue allowing for carry by LTCH holders. I'd prefer that that be enshrined into law, such that the other state universities could not restrict that practice, but I can only write letters and urge others to do so.

I'm not a big fan of government, and have quoted the line that "gov't hasn't stopped working, it's just stopped working for us.". I'm happy to see some public officials that put the lie to that statement.

Thank you for your letters. I appreciate your efforts.

Blessings,
    Bill

It was a murder. Not a larger tradgedy. Just giving the other side fuel by even acknowledging it. Respectful and polite letters is what I have been doing, but by denying our natural rights THEY are the ones being disrespectful. I understand some public officials are outnumbered and that's not their fault. I'm not angry at the ones supporting the constitution. It's just very frustrating when the govt doesn't follow the rules. And even passes laws to restrict us.

gjclark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    "“As I was turning around I heard another pop, then I saw my (teaching assistant) fall to the floor. The guy got on top of him and then shot him in the face, once or twice and maybe two more times,” Pawling, a junior in the College of Engineering, said."

Cody Cousins, the shooter at Purdue, could have been stopped buy a carrying student.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Received in today's email:

STATE OF INDIANA Michael R. Pence
    OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
    Governor
    State House, Second Floor
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46204

Dear Mr. Rights:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for gun rights. It was a pleasure to hear from you.

We are in agreement that Congress and State law should support the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. On June 26, 2008, our nation was presented with a significant legal victory when the Supreme Court upheld what I believe was the true intent of our founding fathers by ruling in Heller v District of Columbia that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to handgun ownership for purposes of self-defense.

In many ways, excessive gun control is as illogical as it is unconstitutional. Too much gun control can leave law-abiding citizens defenseless while doing very little to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. After all, people who are not deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws that say you cannot have a gun.

Under the belief that firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens result in less, not more, crime, I will continue working to protect your constitutional right to gun ownership. I appreciate your input into this important matter and will keep your views in mind the next time that I am presented with legislation involving the rights of gun owners.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as Governor and have the benefit of your advice. If you would like more information on this or any other issue, please visit my website at http://www.in.gov/govwww.in.gov/gov.

Sincerely,

Mike Pence
    Governor

Obviously, this is a form letter, and hopefully just as obviously, I've edited out my name.
    Regardless, I think that Gov. Pence has very clearly stated his position. Regardless of the point that the 2A does not confer but rather protects the right, I think it is fair to say that Mr. Pence "gets it" and is likely to be a friend to gun owners in Indiana over the next few years. I am quite pleased with this reply.

Bllessings,
    Bill

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I got that same letter too.

Received in today's email:

Obviously, this is a form letter, and hopefully just as obviously, I've edited out my name.
    Regardless, I think that Gov. Pence has very clearly stated his position. Regardless of the point that the 2A does not confer but rather protects the right, I think it is fair to say that Mr. Pence "gets it" and is likely to be a friend to gun owners in Indiana over the next few years. I am quite pleased with this reply.

Bllessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The calendar for Wednesday's meeting of Public Policy does NOT include HB 1048 or 1018!

As was posted last week, the vote on 1048 was postponed one week due to the murder at Purdue. For some reason, Rep. Dermody does not seem to have scheduled that vote for this week, and there is no further opportunity for it to be heard in the House under normal rules this session if it dies here.

FIREMISSION!

Contact Rep. Tom Dermody and ask him to reconsider and include HB 1048 in this meeting... bring it to a vote and let it stand for itself.

I'm told that this issue polled very highly among constituents and it needs to pass this year.

h20@iga.in.gov

(317) 232-9600
    (800) 382-9842

This is important, folks... we need to be heard!

I'm calling now.

Blessings,
    Bill

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Done. Was on hold 8 minutes. When I finally got the lady operator and asked for rep. Dormody she asked if she had just spoke to me. So apparently people are calling BOR! Glad!
    i left a message

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom