• Status
    Not open for further replies.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Don't forget to contact Speaker Bosma and Pres. Pro Tempore Long - and your own Rep. and Sen. ... Timelines are short - they are looking at waiving 24 hour requirement and get this out faster ...

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    OK, I did my part. the following e-mail was just sent out to all of the Representatives and Senators listed above (with personal information redacted). For anyone reading this post that has not already done so, the time is now. It's your turn.

Dear (each individual Representative and Senator Listed),
    Please allow me to cite one quick real world example of the need for the passage of SB 229. I live in Southern Indiana and am driving to Mobile, AL later today for a 2 day business meeting. I have the IN License to Carry Handgun, and the Florida and Utah Concealed Carry Permits. With these permits I can legally possess a firearm in each of the states I'll be traveling through on this trip. For both Florida and Utah I had to take and pass training classes (Florida requires live fire training). I had to pass background checks for each of these permits.

Where SB 229 comes in to play is that on my way out of town, I have a parent teacher conference scheduled at my daughter's high school (*********** High School). As IN law currently stands, I either can not legally take a firearm on my multi-state business trip, or I have to leave it at home while I go to my daughter's school, then detour back home prior to driving the approximately 650 miles that I need to drive today.

As three separate states have investigated me and are convinced that I am a "proper person", and as the 2'nd amendment guarantees that my right to bear arms "shall not be infringed", I find this situation to not be logical or constitutional. Can anyone really make a logical argument that I should be guilty of committing a felony (or even a misdemeanor) for having a self defense tool concealed and locked in my alarmed vehicle while I perform the duties of a good dad? Can any logical argument be made that the school kids will be somehow safer because I don't have a firearm out of sight and locked in my vehicle for the 30 minutes I'll be at the school? Can any logical argument be made that a bad guy planning on committing mayhem at a school will change his mind because this would mean he would be violating one more law?

I am writing you today to voice my support for Senate Bill 229 in its amended form. As a law abiding citizen of Indiana, this bill as written is common sense legislation. I am very pleased that this amended version of SB229 passed the House, but is now up to you to pass this in the Senate.

I ask that you support SB 229 in its amended form, that you vote to pass this language and protect good citizens from being victimized by the very law that is supposed to be protecting them.

Most sincerely, and with thanks,

David D.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Done, all emails.

I am writing to ask for your support for SB 229 “Firearms Matter” – as amended by the House Public Policy Committee. This legislation is full of positive improvements to our current laws, and is a good step in the direction of protecting the rights of law abiding citizens like me and my wife.

We are especially asking you to pass this because it increases rights and liberty of gun owners, keeping us from being instant criminals when we cross into a "roving school zone" or need to get out of the car to take a child across the parking lot at school. We ask that you pass this as amended by the House Public Policy Committee.

Please stick to facts when considering this bill and discard emotional nonsense. Emotion is no basis for modifying law.

I look forward to your support and vote for this legislation, in the conference committee, and when it returns to the State Senate. Again – please support Senate Bill SB 229 “Firearms Matters” – including the important amendments added by the State House. Thank you.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I have received some very positive responses from the usual good guys. Let's hope their optimism is correct and we get this thing signed into law. SEND THOSE EMAILS AND CALL!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My contact tells me that there's a delay in getting this done, but it's not a bad delay. Keep writing, keep calling, and keep your positive attitudes.

More when I know it!

Blessings,
    Bill

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Emails sent to Bosma and Long...email from the NRA said tomorrow might be the last day for the session, not sure how accurate that might be...

Mark

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    BoR, where do we stand?!

I got this in my email. You can read it at their site: NRA-ILA | Indiana Conference Committee Hears Pro-Gun Bill Likely to be Considered by Senate and House Soon

In essence, it's probably going to be heard tomorrow... or since I'm writing this after midnight, TODAY, Wednesday, 3/12/14. That takes it right up to the wire. Ladies and gents, this is the time to pull out the stops and be heard. Make sure they know what you want. SB 229 needs to pass, with the 1048 language in place.

Blessings,
    Bill

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    This is the email that I sent to my State Senator and State Representative. Feel free to use it as your own.
    Use this link to find out who your State Senator and State Representative are; Indiana General Assembly - 2014 Session

The Honorable (Their Name)

Dear State Representative (or) State Senator,

Please support SB 229 (Firearms Matters) because it is good for honest, law abiding Hoosiers. Unfortunately, the current law as it stands does nothing to stop or deter those who have sinister motives. Hoosiers who possess a License to Carry Handgun have submitted their finger prints and undergone a background check to be deemed a “Proper Person” by the State of Indiana.

SB 229 removes the unjust “roaming school zones” provision where currently, school property can be defined as a place where a school function is taking place. This means that a person would be in violation of state law if they were legally carrying a firearm at any property, and a school field trip was being held there as well.

SB 229 would also allow legally possessed firearms to be locked out of plain sight in a vehicle while parked on school property. This would mean no longer having to park a car in the street to attend a child’s parent teacher conference.

SB 229 redefines “school property” to only include property of the school, and not adjacent buildings. This would lead to less confusion and chances of a person being in violation of state law, unbeknownst to them, if they were legally carrying a firearm.

I am your constituent and look forward to your response. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,

(My Name)

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I just mail bombed them all with one email. :( I know its not preferred but I don't have time to do anything else this morning. It was also a very short, concise email rather than the books I've sent the last few days.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom