• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Watching Fox 59, they implied that a compromise might be to make it a misdemeanor instead of a felony to have it in your car...that would pretty much gut it in my mind...

Mark

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Watching Fox 59, they implied that a compromise might be to make it a misdemeanor instead of a felony to have it in your car...that would pretty much gut it in my mind...

Mark

That is part of the amendment - if you are legally allowed to have it per the rest of the law (as revised in SB 229) - but store it NOT out of sight etc . then it is an A misdemeanor. ...

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    That is part of the amendment - if you are legally allowed to have it per the rest of the law (as revised in SB 229) - but store it NOT out of sight etc . then it is an A misdemeanor. ...

I am familiar with that part of the bill...maybe that is what they were thinking was a compromise...we can only hope. Tried to research the conference committee process, and could not find much on the IGA site. I just don't see much room to compromise between the 2 sides...one wants to keep them banned and the other does not...no middle ground there...so I think either the HB1048 stuff stays or it goes...or it all dies in 4 days...

Mark

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Roger that mshogren - ... I jsut found Fox 59 report.

Not sure where MdA gets 3K members. ... LOL well the same way they get 44+ School incidents - inflation.
    Their FBk page has 917 likes for "MdA - IN" ... (keep tabs, I do) ... made up, irrelevant stats and made up stats. ugh.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    OK, here is what I found so far:

From Indiana Protection & Advocacy Services, "HOW A BILL BECOMES A LAW IN INDIANA":
    Conference Committee — If the bill passed by one chamber is then amended by the other, the first chamber must agree upon the amendment(s) before the legislative process can be completed. Should the first chamber dissent (refuse to agree to the changes) a conference committee of two members from each house is appointed to work out a version of the bill that will be satisfactory to both houses. All four must sign the conference committee report and it must be favorably voted on in both houses. Once this has been accomplished, the bill goes to the governor for signature.

From Indiana Chamber, "How a Bill Becomes a Law":
    Conference Committee – A bill which survives both houses but is amended in the second chamber in a manner unacceptable to the house of origin must go to a conference committee consisting of two members appointed from each house. The committee members attempt to reach an agreement that will be acceptable to legislators in both chambers. All four members of the committee must sign the conference committee report and it must be approved in both houses. Bills sometimes die because no such agreement can be reached.

I interpret this to mean, they all need to agree or it dies...don't see how that is going to happen.

Mark

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If I was guessing (and mind you, this is only my guess) I'd not expect Sen. Tomes or Rep. Eberhard to sign off on something that returned the "roaming school zone" after July 1. The only thing that removes that is Rep. Lucas' amendments. Conversely, I can't imagine Rep. Lawson signing off on something that "allowz gunz in skoolz!" :runaway: even though this bill does no such thing. The minimal impression I've gotten of Sen. Broden is that, while he is anti-gun rights for the people, it's not as big an issue for him as it is for, say, Sen. Wyss or Rep. Lawson.

Analysis: If my guesses, above, are correct, and the leadership of the Houses wants to see these good measures pass, I can see them prevailing upon Rep. Lawson to sign off, probably in exchange for someone else's signature on some other measure she wants. If Sen. Broden is the only one obstructing 229's passage, he will probably sign. The enormous problem with all of this is that I can't judge accurately whether this is what I really think WILL happen or HAS happened.... or if it's just what I want to see. That's the problem with bias and a lack of facts... I can't give you a good prediction without the facts, and sadly, I don't have them.

Bottom line: my confidence in this prediction: 50/50. It could go either way. Sorry I can't be more specific. If/when I have more info, so will you.

Blessings,
    Bill

News articles are appearing ... decyphering them ... compiling into 'menagerie' of understanding ...

1 point sticks out - ALL 4 CONFEREES must sign off on the 'conformed' legislation ...

Do We - NOW - start writeing Rep. / Speaker Bosma and Sen./President Pro Temp Long and asking for favorable conferees???

I have no idea - BoR - you have more experience on this - but it would not seem "inappropriate" ... we only have 2 days!.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Looks like the Anti's are fired up and the pro-gun folks are fighting back. Unfortunately we are left to see if they have the ability to push it through or not. My favorite was pointing out what Utah's law is and how many shootings they've had.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Looks like the Anti's are fired up and the pro-gun folks are fighting back. Unfortunately we are left to see if they have the ability to push it through or not. My favorite was pointing out what Utah's law is and how many shootings they've had.

I repeat that to every legislator I email.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I used that point in testifying for HB 1048. :)

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Received this e-mail earlier from a VIP who is very much in the middle of this. Respecting that confidentiality I got this email:

Bill,

Just have everyone keep doing what they’re doing. I feel good about it, and we’ll know something more tomorrow.

Thanks,

Stay tuned and keep at it people

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Got a response last night that leadership is going to make this happen. I will believe it when I see it though...

Send those emails and make those calls!

Mark

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I went back and picked up Broden. I got several positive replies from my emails last night. I'm led to believe that they plan on making this happen. I too will wait until I see it, but this is the time to pour it on.

That listing of emails up thread made it incredibly easy to craft a quick, tight message and individually email each person on the list (plus Broden). Took less than 5 minutes.

C'mon everyone, this is our state, our Bill, we can make this happen. It is most likely the most important 5 minutes you could spend today!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I went back and picked up Broden. I got several positive replies from my emails last night. I'm led to believe that they plan on making this happen. I too will wait until I see it, but this is the time to pour it on.

That listing of emails up thread made it incredibly easy to craft a quick, tight message and individually email each person on the list (plus Broden). Took less than 5 minutes.

C'mon everyone, this is our state, our Bill, we can make this happen. It is most likely the most important 5 minutes you could spend today!

This one? :) I was just going to grab it to send a couple more emails...updated with Broden...

Sen. Jim Tomes s49@iga.in.gov
    Sen. Richard Young s47@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Sean Eberhart h57@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Linda Lawson H1@iga.in.gov

Sen Broden s10@iga.in.gov
    Sen. Brandt Hershman s7@iga.in.gov
    Sen. Lindel Hume s47@iga.in.gov
    Sen. Brent Steele s44@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Jud McMillin H68@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Tom Dermody H20@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Alan Morrison H42@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Jerry Torr H39@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Terri Austin H36@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Ryan Dvorak H8@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Jim Lucas H69@iga.in.gov

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    This one? :) I was just going to grab it to send a couple more emails...updated with Broden...

Sen. Jim Tomes s49@iga.in.gov
    Sen. Richard Young s47@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Sean Eberhart h57@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Linda Lawson H1@iga.in.gov

Sen Broden s10@iga.in.gov
    Sen. Brandt Hershman s7@iga.in.gov
    Sen. Lindel Hume s47@iga.in.gov
    Sen. Brent Steele s44@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Jud McMillin H68@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Tom Dermody H20@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Alan Morrison H42@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Jerry Torr H39@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Terri Austin H36@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Ryan Dvorak H8@iga.in.gov
    Rep. Jim Lucas H69@iga.in.gov
    Thanks, contacted them all.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Round 4, or 5 or heck who knows. I sent emails again! Thank you all who are doing their part. If you're reading this and haven't yet contacted the people listed above. Send 'em a short note in support of SB229. It's EASY.

*** Also... it's probably a good idea to tell them exactly what you want in the subject line. Time is VERY short and they may not have time to read your email. They might just see our emails in their inbox that say "Support SB229" in the subject line though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom