• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've often wondered about having a variant of the Indiana LTCH that would carry with it certification of training completed which might be recognized by more states. It has its own problems, like making our own system here more complicated, but it could have some merits. Might save us the trouble of getting Florida or Utah permits if we had our own that was recognized in more places.

This made me think about last spring. I finally broke down and decided to attend a Utah carry class being offered locally. To my pleasant surprise, my NRA Instructor certificate was sufficient to satisfy the Utah state requirement for a safety course. It really never dawned on me.:rolleyes:

Anyway, if an NRA Instructor certificate were to be recognized nationally along with a carry permit....:dunno:

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    when i look up sb 536 it says it is, and i quote "
    A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning elections."
    :dunno:
    Purple text is the INGO code for sarcasm.
    If you click the SB link I posted it goes to one of the many "a friend, a guy at the gunshop, and/or the 5 year old girl who stole my gun says the lifetime LTCH is going away" posts.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've often wondered about having a variant of the Indiana LTCH that would carry with it certification of training completed which might be recognized by more states. It has its own problems, like making our own system here more complicated, but it could have some merits. Might save us the trouble of getting Florida or Utah permits if we had our own that was recognized in more places.

Anyway, I also wanted to thank everybody sincerely for paying attention to the legislature and for writing letters to the ones we've elected to represent us. I often find myself without the time, energy, or both to stay on top of these issues, and I find myself hoping there enough others who think like I do back home who will take care of business there. And that's what you guys are doing. So thank you.

It might make things easier in that regard, yes, especially if the current LTCH were maintained as-is. The slippery-slope is still in effect, though, because none of this exists in a vacuum, and the bill creates an "Indiana State-Certified Firearms Instructor. I don't think any of us are fool enough to believe that, no matter how good the intentions of Sen. Hershman (a very strong advocate of the 2A,) that position would very quickly be abused and the intent perverted to apply to the LTCH.

To be crystal clear, since I forgot to say it in my email to the good Senator today, I absolutely support the idea of and even the incentivization governmentally of people taking good training. Perhaps the fee for the LTCH can be reduced by, say, 25% for IN residents who receive some form of training addressing X, Y, and Z. The number I chose above is strictly arbitrary and solely for the sake of example. I support the idea of gun owners and especially gun carriers being well-trained. I do not support any form of mandate requiring it. Those who want training will seek it out on their own. Those who do not will not. Making it mandatory will put butts in the seats and will have those who want training go and learn what they can, and will have those who don't want training go and sleep through class or remember just enough to pass the test at the end.

As to other states' recognition? We're one state shy of 60% of this country in which we may lawfully carry a handgun. Of the remaining 21 states, one won't recognize the LTCH at all because we allow those between 18 and 20 to be issued one. OK, so... Let's look at the remaining 40%. Ten states (20%) do not recognize ANY other state's permits and four of those offer no non-resident permit, so any changes will not affect that 20% regardless of how strict they are.
    The other 10, the remaining 20%, have a variety of reasons they don't accept our LTCH, and yes, training is one reason they give.
    Delaware, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, South Carolina, and/or West Virginia all might someday recognize the LTCH if we change our law to appease them.... or they may change their demands after the fact, and we'd be right back where we started. For my part, I view someone in Ohio or for that matter, any other state trying to make our laws just as I view someone in Mexico or England (Piers Morgan, anyone?) or Australia trying to make US laws, which is to say I take a dim view of it and will strongly oppose it.

On the plus side, I wrote to Sen. Hershman and offered my assistance in providing him good, verifiable data to make the basic idea of others outside of IN being able to obtain an IN LTCH a reality. I don't have a reply as yet, but I am hopeful.

For your part, sir, might I suggest a short, sweet letter:

Dear Senator ________,
    I support SB97, Firearms on State Property, and as your constituent, I ask that you do likewise with your vote.

Thank you,
    (sign here)

I realize you're busy and I sincerely thank you for your service. I've written the letter for you, all you need to do is find who your Senator is and sign it, and substitute the number and name of bills with which you agree wholly. If there's one you want to see amended, tell them so, tell them how, and you've still made a difference. My goal here is not to put you on the spot but to provide some assistance.

Blessings,
    Bill

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    This made me think about last spring. I finally broke down and decided to attend a Utah carry class being offered locally. To my pleasant surprise, my NRA Instructor certificate was sufficient to satisfy the Utah state requirement for a safety course. It really never dawned on me.:rolleyes:

Anyway, if an NRA Instructor certificate were to be recognized nationally along with a carry permit....:dunno:

Yeah, see, that's another way to do it. Might need a federal law for that, though. It might be another way to get a law enacted that gets us closer to national reciprocity, too.

We already have different categories of licenses to operate motor vehicles, some which require specific training; I think we could use a similar approach to licenses to exercise our right to keep and bear arms.

Maybe the "standard" license requires training, similar to other states, and all a Hoosier must do is show proof of training either during the application process or later on for an "upgrade." But then there is the option to get a "lite" license that is only good in the states that already honor our license without mandatory training.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    SB 0156 -- Downloading of cell phone information by police.

I actually think this makes our texting and driving law WORSE.

Prohibits a police officer from extracting … information from a telecommunications device and retaining it as evidence … for a violation of the law concerning [texting while driving] unless: (1) the police officer has probable cause to believe that the telecommunications device has been used in the commission of a crime…

Right now, if a LEO pulls you over and suspects you were texting, he has no way to make you show him your phone: since there are so many legal things you could've been doing on the phone, he can't establish probable cause, so he'd need a warrant. Of course, if you're stupid and show him your phone when he asks you (which he will), that's your own fault.

If SB 0156 is passed, it specifically states that he can download information from your phone if he has probable cause it was used in the commission of a crime (and texting while driving is a crime). Yes, we still have the protection of a LEO needing probable cause, but I think this almost makes it easier for the LEOs to convince a person to show them their phone.

The texting while driving law already sucks. But I don't see this making it any better.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    For your part, sir, might I suggest a short, sweet letter:

Dear Senator ________,
    I support SB97, Firearms on State Property, and as your constituent, I ask that you do likewise with your vote.

Thank you,
    (sign here)

I realize you're busy and I sincerely thank you for your service. I've written the letter for you, all you need to do is find who your Senator is and sign it, and substitute the number and name of bills with which you agree wholly. If there's one you want to see amended, tell them so, tell them how, and you've still made a difference. My goal here is not to put you on the spot but to provide some assistance.

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks for the motivation. I took some time and checked each of these bills and wrote the following.

Dear Senator Wyss,

I want to express my support for a number of bills that have been introduced this session, and as your constituent, ask that you likewise support the following specific bills with your vote and by seeking other ways of encouraging these bills to be passed:
    • SB 0020 -- Use of unmanned aerial vehicles;
    • SB 0035 -- Recording law enforcement officer activities;
    • SB 0097 -- Possession of firearms on state property;
    • SB 0106 -- Lifetime senior hunting license;
    • SB 0127 -- Arrests and searches by federal employees;
    • SB 0130 -- Indiana firearms freedom act;
    • SB 0181 -- Knives with automatic blades;
    • SB 0199 -- Using silencer when hunting; and
    • SB 0230 -- Applicability of federal law in Indiana.

Thank you for your service to our home. I trust I've left it in competent hands.

Respectfully,
    2ndLt mk2ja
    United States Marine Corps
    Fort Wayne Native, Serving Elsewhere

There was actually a survey to complete on his page, so I did the survey and inserted that text into the Additional Remarks box.

Here was the survey for those who wonder:
    Senator Tom Wyss' 2013 Legislative Survey

It may likely be on there for every senator. :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Guys, Thanks for all the help here...finally got around to emailing Sen. Steele regarding these bills this morning.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks for the motivation. I took some time and checked each of these bills and wrote the following.

Dear Senator Wyss,

I want to express my support for a number of bills that have been introduced this session, and as your constituent, ask that you likewise support the following specific bills with your vote and by seeking other ways of encouraging these bills to be passed:

Thank you for your service to our home. I trust I've left it in competent hands.

Respectfully,
    2ndLt mk2ja
    United States Marine Corps
    Fort Wayne Native, Serving Elsewhere

There was actually a survey to complete on his page, so I did the survey and inserted that text into the Additional Remarks box.

Here was the survey for those who wonder:
    Senator Tom Wyss' 2013 Legislative Survey

It may likely be on there for every senator. :dunno:

Rep added. :) Thank you. Sadly, Tom Wyss is the most anti-gun RINO I've ever seen, worse even than Dick Lugar ever was. Nonetheless, I continue to hold hope that enough letters will make a difference in his votes.

You did a good thing here. Something tells me you've a habit of that.
    Semper Fi.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 181, Knives with automatic blades is scheduled to be heard Jan 15, 2013, in room 233 at the State House, at 10:00 AM.

None of our other bills are yet scheduled.

Who's writing? :wavey:

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    SB 181, Knives with automatic blades is scheduled to be heard Jan 15, 2013, in room 233 at the State House, at 10:00 AM.

None of our other bills are yet scheduled.

Who's writing? :wavey:

Blessings,
    Bill

I did. Wrote to my senator (Steele), who else should we contact, Bill?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    When I go to email, I get this:

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our email provider. We apologize for the inconvenience and can assure you that the issue is being addressed and will be solved as soon as possible. Please check back soon to contact your legislator.

I just called and I'll follow up with snail mail.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I did. Wrote to my senator (Steele), who else should we contact, Bill?

Everyone on the committees in question. I'd also say the President pro tempore of the Senate, but that's Sen. David Long, who also chairs the Senate Rules committee, in which a couple of good bills (97 and 130) are stalled.

I guess what confuses the hell out of me is why a bill that the head of a legislative house should support based on his voting record would be assigned to a committee that is expected to not hear it.

If anyone knows the answer to this (and I mean knows, not conjectures on the basis of political party or statism vs. liberty, etc.) I would very much like to understand this circumstance. I saw it when Pat Bauer was in charge of the House and would do it with bills he did NOT support, and while I think that's dirty, I can at least understand the motivation of "make this problem go away." That motivation is absent when the bill is one that is not a "problem" to be dealt with.

If someone has the answer, please give it or, if you need to maintain anonymity, PM me.

Thanks, all!
    Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Of note, SB 181 has been heard in committee and passed unanimously. It's now headed to the full Senate to be heard. I'll take this to be good news. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Jim Himself

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    I straight up plagiarized mk2ja, but I added some links and sent this email out to friends/family. Feel free to use.

1. Find your Indiana Reps:

http://www.in.gov/sliverheader/Welcome.do?url=http://kyeo-in.egis.39dn.com/

2. Email your Indiana Reps:

http://www.in.gov/cgi-bin/legislative/contact/contact.pl

3. Copy/Paste/Send your 2 Reps this after reading the bills (link at bottom). Add your name before sending. Wordsmith it as you see fit.

Respectfully,

Link to read bills:

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/billwatch/billinfo?year=2013&session=1&request=all

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Of note, SB 181 has been heard in committee and passed unanimously. It's now headed to the full Senate to be heard. I'll take this to be good news. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

SB 181 is scheduled to be heard in the full Senate on Second Reading at 1330 hrs on Jan. 22, 2013. The others are still not scheduled to be heard.

Blessings,
    Bill

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I don't post here much but I emailed Long, Eckerty, and Lutz. The last two are for my district and I know Long is head of the committee for SB-0097 and SB-0130. I would really love to be able to carry on campus. Last fall, there were several people robbed at gun point for three or four weeks straight. The cops never did catch the individuals. And often times when I get done with class and work (on campus) I go somewhere that isn't home but since I can't store my gun in my car I'm disarmed all day.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just had a conversation with Sen. Brandt Hershman, the author of SB 555, and with trepidation, I will remove my objection to it. The good Senator told me that his goal with the bill was to increase our "acceptance" in the few states that refuse to recognize us due to the absence of a training requirement for the LTCH. We discussed, among other things, the issues of slippery slopes and camels' noses under tents, and he pointed out that the general makeup of the IN General Assembly is fairly staunchly pro-2A, with, of course, notable exceptions. SB 555 would, as I addressed upthread, create a second license, the "Indiana Firearms Reciprocity License", which would require age 21 or higher, a photo as well as have a requirement of training in safe loading, unloading, storage, and carry of a firearm, including handguns and in the relevant law on self-defense, use of force including deadly force, transportation and concealment. The bill also would make the IFRL available to those living outside of IN, provided their state recognized ours. In addition, it would create a "firearms instructor license" and specify what that would entail.
    I am hesitant because I can see some future legislature pushing for these same requirements to be extended to the LTCH, and in honesty, I don't know that such a concept would have to come from what is, at this writing, the minority side of the Houses, either.

Further, Sen. Hershman told me that SB 97 is still being discussed behind closed doors. I am heartened by this, as the alternative for it is that it die in committee. Keep the pressure on, folks. We want our legislators to know that there is support for good bills to pass and become law.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom