• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd like to see something about repealing the ban on switchblade knives in Indiana.

I'd also like to see something about a person having a LTCH being exempted from other local weapons laws - effectively preempting various municipal knife regulations around the state.

Would be great if something like this could be tacked on to one of these bills at some stage in the process.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I got the following reply from State Senator Greg Walker :)

Thank you for writing to express your support for Senate Bills 97, 106, and 130. I appreciate your interest and concern on these important issues.

SB 97 has been assigned to the Rules and Legislative Procedure Committee, and I support it. SB 106 has been introduced by Senator Nugent, and I support that as well. As for the Firearms Freedom Act, I in fact introduced the bill during the 2010 Session, though it never received a hearing. I am clearly a gun rights advocate, and will always stand with both the state and federal constitutions on this issue.

Thank you again for your interest and engagement, and please don't hesitate to contact me with further questions or concerns.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    That was a great response from the senator... all I'm getting are form letters, if anything... I have now gotten 4 copies of the same canned letter from Todd Young... I'm getting tempted to track him down here at the Bloomington office next time he is around and get some REAL answers nailed down!

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Something to oppose SB 318 Homerule. Let's not become Illinois.

Sec. 2. A covered unit shall comply with a statute, unless the covered unit rejects application of the statute by adopting an ordinance that expressly rejects the statute in its entirety. If a statute is rejected, a covered unit may adopt an ordinance that prescribes a specific manner for exercising the power in accordance with IC 36-1-3-6(b).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    According to a letter sent out by Sen. Tomes, bills assigned to the Committee on Rules and Legislative Procedure are not likely to get a hearing. Sadly, this would include the Firearms Freedom bill and the State Preemption bill. (SB 130 and SB 97, respectively) I'm not sure how the decision is made where to assign this or that bill, however a groundswell of support may just tip the balance. I think it's fair to say that the balance will *not* be tipped in our favor without that swell of support.

BoR's analysis: Let's get crackin', kids. We've got some letters to write. Yes, again.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just sent to Sen. Long:

Dear Sen. Long,

I need your help, sir. It has come to my attention that some bills about which I recently mailed you, namely SB 97 and SB 130, have been assigned to your Rules committee, and that this is normally considered a "death sentence" for bills not expected to be heard.
    Senator, these are GOOD bills. There is no better time than now to lead the way and show the nation that good, pro-gun rights legislation can save lives. There is no worse time to cower and fear that our ability to lawfully exercise our rights will be taken from us, effectively giving up that ability and making its removal moot.
    Sir, at the very least, let the bills be heard. Let them pass or fail on their own merits. Support them with your own votes and lead by example. The good people of this state will support your actions; only the criminals and those who support them will benefit by these bills dying in committee.

The favor of a reply is requested.

Thank you very much, in advance, for your attention to these important matters.

Most sincerely,
    In Liberty (for now),

(name redacted)

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Sent this to Sen. Long:

Sen. Long,
    There are two bills that have been assigned to the Rules and Legislative Procedure committee that you chair. I understand that your committee is a virtual death sentence to a bill. Please allow SB 97 and SB 230 to pass through your committee and be voted upon based on their own merit. In fact, please to not allow any bills to be "held hostage" in your committee.

Thank you for your time,

Jason A. Partridge.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    My guess would be states that currently don't accept IN LTCHs due to "lack of training requirements." Otherwise it really don't make much sense when you concider that a non-resident must already have a license in a reciprical state to apply.

Actually, I hear this is what's replacing the lifetime LTCH now that it's being discontinued.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 555: Indiana firearms reciprocity license.

I support Sen. Hershman's bill (which was an idea I'd proposed many times; I don't know if he took my suggestion or arrived at it on his own) to allow non-residents to more easily obtain a license from Indiana, I absolutely do NOT support in any way, shape, or form the mandate of training and the necessity of a photo on the application for it. Training should be encouraged, yes. I strongly support that, but it should never be mandatory under the law.

I'll be contacting him requesting that nonsense be edited out.

Blessings,
    Bill

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I support Sen. Hershman's bill (which was an idea I'd proposed many times; I don't know if he took my suggestion or arrived at it on his own) to allow non-residents to more easily obtain a license from Indiana, I absolutely do NOT support in any way, shape, or form the mandate of training and the necessity of a photo on the application for it. Training should be encouraged, yes. I strongly support that, but it should never be mandatory under the law.

I'll be contacting him requesting that nonsense be edited out.

Blessings,
    Bill

I've often wondered about having a variant of the Indiana LTCH that would carry with it certification of training completed which might be recognized by more states. It has its own problems, like making our own system here more complicated, but it could have some merits. Might save us the trouble of getting Florida or Utah permits if we had our own that was recognized in more places.

Anyway, I also wanted to thank everybody sincerely for paying attention to the legislature and for writing letters to the ones we've elected to represent us. I often find myself without the time, energy, or both to stay on top of these issues, and I find myself hoping there enough others who think like I do back home who will take care of business there. And that's what you guys are doing. So thank you.

Top Bottom