• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    This is my first buck and first bow kill. I got him at about 9 am. He came from behind me and walked right underneath my tree stand. I let him get about 20 yards away, drew back, and whistled at him. He turned perfectly broadside. I gave him a really good lung shot, and it didn't take long at all to track him. He's not a really big guy, but I think I'm gonna get him mounted since it's both my first buck and bow kill. I'm pretty excited about it.

picture.php

Congratulations. The first buck with a bow is absolutely a trophy, regardless of his antler size. Put him on the wall; you'll be glad you did.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    congrats! I still hunting my first buck and archery deer, glad to see someone break two cherries at once!

I'm still hitting it hard in the evenings. I need to make an effort to get some morning hunts in.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    This is my first buck and first bow kill. I got him at about 9 am. He came from behind me and walked right underneath my tree stand. I let him get about 20 yards away, drew back, and whistled at him. He turned perfectly broadside. I gave him a really good lung shot, and it didn't take long at all to track him. He's not a really big guy, but I think I'm gonna get him mounted since it's both my first buck and bow kill. I'm pretty excited about it.

Nice Job! Us noobs are representin' I just hope M4Madness doesn't get the rest of the does in the midwest before I get out again! :D

BTW is everyone hunting from a stand/Hide? Anyone stalking their deer? I would love to hear how that goes. I am interested in getting my butt out of the stand a little....

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Nice Job! Us noobs are representin' I just hope M4Madness doesn't get the rest of the does in the midwest before I get out again! :D

BTW is everyone hunting from a stand/Hide? Anyone stalking their deer? I would love to hear how that goes. I am interested in getting my butt out of the stand a little....

I've put on two stalks, first one I missed by misjudged the range and the 2nd I got winded when I got too close.

Shadownick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Morristown, IN
    Thanks everyone. Here's the picture of it when I found him on the ground. Gives a little better rack picture. He had a total of 9 points... I honestly thought about letting him walk, because I knew he had some potential to be a nice buck in the future. But I wanted to get my first bow kill so badly.

picture.php

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Here are 2 does that I have gotten so far this year. The 1st pic is of a doe I got a couple of weeks ago. I got it around 6:30PM. It field dressed at 115 lbs. Shot it at 20 yards. I got the 2nd doe this past Saturday morning at 8:15AM. Shot it at 15 yards. It field dressed at 126 lbs. I love my Hoyt Alpha Max!:rockwoot:

th_Deer.jpg

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I am tired of not being able to be in the tree stand...in the past 2 weeks I have hunted 4 times. :(

Heh, Yeah --Maybe its more of an ADHD issue for me than anything. :D Stalking just sounds like more fun too. I am gonna get out again soon and I'll be back in a stand which is definately better than nothing at all. If anyone has any great tips or knows of a good video or book about stalking though, I'd love to hear about it!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Heh, Yeah --Maybe its more of an ADHD issue for me than anything. :D Stalking just sounds like more fun too. I am gonna get out again soon and I'll be back in a stand which is definately better than nothing at all. If anyone has any great tips or knows of a good video or book about stalking though, I'd love to hear about it!

Indian move little, look a lot. White man move a lot, look little. :D

Take it slow. Humans are the only ones that tromp through the woods like us and we have a distinct sound. If you break a stick stop, movement is what will give you away. Don't look for a deer when you're still hunting/stalking look for part of the deer. (Round butt, pointy ear, white of the neck. Stuff that isn't normal.) Move s--l--o--w, stay quiet and have fun...oh yeah, and don't forget about the wind. :)

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Shadownick, nothing to be ashamed of. Any deer (even a button buck) is a good deer with a bow. Congratulations to everyone else as well.

I do all of my hunting from a treestand. I've never bowhunted from the ground, although one time years ago I caught a nice 10-pointer bedded down in an overgrown field one afternoon while I was passing through to my hunting spot. I quickly knelt down and removed my climbing stand from my back, put my release aid on, and tried my darndest to make that buck stand for the shot. When he refused to stand, I walked at full draw to 12 steps from his bed, estimated where I thought his vitals were, and let an arrow fly through the few stalks of grass between us. I never found any blood, my arrow, or a dead buck...

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Great photos fellas and congrats to those who have harvested a deer this year. Been out a few times this year. Almost got caught up in a stampeed the first day I went out. Got a shot off with my PSE but was a miss. Saw another and took a shot at 35 yards. Went a couple inches high. I have owned my PSE for a few years and this was the first time I was close enough to get a shot or had the opportunity since losing a place that I previously hunted.

Starting to look forward to firearms season. Good luck everyone and stay safe.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Going out tonight! :rockwoot:Looking for a nice tender Doe. Ummm, doe....

So I have a question for all the bowhunters on here; come firearm season, will you switch? I am definately having a good time with my bow, but I have a new (to me) Marlin 44mag that keeps begging me to take it out of the safe. I think I will have to oblige. Also, I am itching to try a stalking hunt and I think a rifle might be more convenient for that.

Luck to everyone out there tonight, and If I see your buck, I'll let him walk on by... :D

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I have always hunted all season with a bow, but I also bought a Marlin lever action 44 that I am also wanting to try out. I still plan on getting my buck with my bow this year but if I don't before gun comes in I will be bringing out the Marlin.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Going out tonight! :rockwoot:Looking for a nice tender Doe. Ummm, doe....

So I have a question for all the bowhunters on here; come firearm season, will you switch? I am definately having a good time with my bow, but I have a new (to me) Marlin 44mag that keeps begging me to take it out of the safe. I think I will have to oblige. Also, I am itching to try a stalking hunt and I think a rifle might be more convenient for that.

Luck to everyone out there tonight, and If I see your buck, I'll let him walk on by... :D

i always switch to a muzzleloader opening day of firarms season, this year ill switch to the 358 bfg i built in the off season

Top Bottom