• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I seriously don't get the whole texting thing. I have an iphone that has free email. Why would I pay an extra $5 a month to do text messaging? I used to get texts that people sent me and it was costing 20 cents a text. I finally called and had them blocked. Now I have people asking me "Did you get my text?"

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I seriously don't get the whole texting thing. I have an iphone that has free email. Why would I pay an extra $5 a month to do text messaging? I used to get texts that people sent me and it was costing 20 cents a text. I finally called and had them blocked. Now I have people asking me "Did you get my text?"

We don't allow texting on our company cell phones and have people get irate that they can't text us. I don't get it either. If you need to tell me something email or call me.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We don't allow texting on our company cell phones and have people get irate that they can't text us. I don't get it either. If you need to tell me something email or call me.

I find actually punching a few numbers into my phone and hitting call much easier than bludgeoning my fingers to death on the phone. If I want to tell you something, I'll call. If I don't want to tell you something vocally, I sure don't want to text you.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

u 2 are "dating" yourself. ;)
    txting is just another form of communications and the younger generations have grown up with those as oppose to whatever you grew up with.

I think back to my grandfather he hated the phone! He said if you want to talk to me come see me or write a letter. His generation it was about face 2 face comms.

My dad is a "phone" person. No email, no text, no letters. You need to talk to him call him. Again different generation.

Me I like email best. I don't answer phone calls, hate text and am not going to read a snail letter. If it's not on my PC in email good luck.
    Again different coms type for different generations.

To "suceed" you either have to get the other party to use your form of comms or learn enough of theirs to talk to them that is all.

But as we get older we get more stubborn in our ways and become obsolete. :D 4sarge is a good example of that. LOL!!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I find actually punching a few numbers into my phone and hitting call much easier than bludgeoning my fingers to death on the phone. If I want to tell you something, I'll call. If I don't want to tell you something vocally, I sure don't want to text you.

+1, got time to text and it's something important enough to tell me? Call me.

What's really bad is when one gives someone a phone number (in this case, a home phone) and tell them it's a home phone number, the suckers will STILL text it. I get weird messages from my friends that sound hilarious using the computer voice. It's funny, until I see my phone bill: The charge ME a TON when these nitwits text me on my homephone! :xmad:

(Personally, it's gotta be a scam by cell companies to get people to wear out phones faster so they cycle them out and make them buy new ones, starting the cycle anew :n00b: ) :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm 27, so I'm a letter, phone, email, text kinda guy. I don't mind either of them.
    But I HATE it when people text me without using proper English. Dangit, WTH is so wrong with using proper punctuation, grammar, spelling, capitalitation, commas, periods...it drives me nuts.

Hell it's much easier and faster than using "text" speak.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I'll be honest, I don't know who you are, and I didn't read this entire thread ... but ... remember when people are reading posts they may not be getting everything - or may even garner a meaning opposite of what your intent was.

With that in mind, I was nearly inclined to toss negative rep your way for the first part of your post that caught my eye, specifically:

[...] considering who I am. [...]

:ingo:

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I prefer sending and receiving texts because they do not require my exclusive attention, and they can wait until I have a moment. They also work with 100% fidelity where reception is at an absolute minimum. It's also much easier to send several people the same piece of information (I'll be late for dinner, go on without me, etc.). It's also rude to talk on the phone in some contexts where texting is much more discreet, or in noisy places.

If you already are paying for email, you can send text messages to people with TMobile by sending a message to 2195551234@tmomail.net, where 2195551234 is an actual phone number. There are online services that allow to send text messages for free, and a couple of iPhone apps that do the same thing.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'll be honest, I don't know who you are, and I didn't read this entire thread ... but ... remember when people are reading posts they may not be getting everything - or may even garner a meaning opposite of what your intent was.

With that in mind, I was nearly inclined to toss negative rep your way for the first part of your post that caught my eye, specifically:

:ingo:

& thus you too would have fallen into the same trap of not first asking for clarification and/or assuming things.

Read here (part of thread) for an explanation on that text.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/124649-1st_neg_rep-3.html#post1527413

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    To the OP and the thread topic: It is hard for me to imagine a case where I would just mindlessly dis someone by pushing the neg rep button. If I feel so strongly that I want to neg rep you, then I probably also care enough to tell you in writing what I don't like about what you said.

As I've mentioned before, I'm no stranger to message boards and I've learned something over the years: when I get particularly aggravated by something somebody's said online, I get up from my computer and walk away. I walk out of the room completely and go do something for a bit; I get involved in something for a short while, maybe play with my dogs and run around with them. Then, when I return, I know I'll be OK. I may still disagree with you, but the urgency and the emotional component of that disagreement have faded. :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    To the OP and the thread topic: It is hard for me to imagine a case where I would just mindlessly dis someone by pushing the neg rep button. If I feel so strongly that I want to neg rep you, then I probably also care enough to tell you in writing what I don't like about what you said.

As I've mentioned before, I'm no stranger to message boards and I've learned something over the years: when I get particularly aggravated by something somebody's said online, I get up from my computer and walk away. I walk out of the room completely and go do something for a bit; I get involved in something for a short while, maybe play with my dogs and run around with them. Then, when I return, I know I'll be OK. I may still disagree with you, but the urgency and the emotional component of that disagreement have faded. :)

Sadly the neg rep did not what u did. Furthermore I have PMed him asking what was so offensive and to help me understand his point of view only be be ignored (as of this writing by him/her). I even left my email address in case s/he could not PM due to low post count.

Alas I have heard nothing and I'm so tempted to go to the DARK SIDE and just do what others here do and NEG REP back. (I have never NEG REP. Have come close but after talking to those (2) that I was about to neg rep I changed my mind after understanding what they were trying to say and how I read it.

But I suspect that I'm going to get coal for xmas and give said person a naughty xmas gift. Yes total fail on my part. :(

Heck I would even take a "F*** Y** leave me alone" at this point from them but a no reply is just plain rude.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Jedi, I would say give it a little time; it will cost you nothing. If you really feel like it, you can always give a negative rep point later.

But stop thinking about it! There's a whole world of other stuff to think about. :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks zenbruno. BTW said member has logged on multiple times since the PM so it's not like they have not seen the PM. But let me go play some Battlefield 2 to relax before I go to sleep.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Sadly the neg rep did not what u did. Furthermore I have PMed him asking what was so offensive and to help me understand his point of view only be be ignored (as of this writing by him/her). I even left my email address in case s/he could not PM due to low post count.

Alas I have heard nothing and I'm so tempted to go to the DARK SIDE and just do what others here do and NEG REP back. (I have never NEG REP. Have come close but after talking to those (2) that I was about to neg rep I changed my mind after understanding what they were trying to say and how I read it.

But I suspect that I'm going to get coal for xmas and give said person a naughty xmas gift. Yes total fail on my part. :(

Heck I would even take a "F*** Y** leave me alone" at this point from them but a no reply is just plain rude.

Your Welcome & Yes, Even YOU Can be Labeled Racist in PC America. :rolleyes:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i dont know why people get uptight about negative rep. its not like the people that give it to you took away your man card or anything. its just means they strongly disagreed with your opinion most likely. you cant name call in a thread, but you can in rep ;)

Top Bottom