• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, now's a good time to talk about 1911 magazines to a n00b :)

I use Wilson 47's and the newer offering with the wider foot but the #'s escape me right now. Chip McCormick Power mags for 10 rd.

Many good offerings out there and I am sure many will chime in with their favorites.

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    Congrats on the new pistol. I also have the Ruger 1911 shoots very well. Now start saving your money cause trust me one 1911 will not be enough. I started out innocently enough i bought a Springfield Combat Blackened Stainless, and it went crazy from there, i now own 2 S&W 1911s The Ruger, a couple of RIA that nobody seems to like a RIA match 45 and a Ria 9mm And just purchased a Sig scorpion from PSS. Take care and enjoy that new gun.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks to everyone for all the advice and congrats on my purchase. I'm as happy as I can be about the gun without having fired it. Thankfully it's only a couple of days till the weekend, when I can take it out and put some rounds through it. Can't wait!

Oh and BTW, on those mags, where is the best place to get them? Those brands mentioned seem a lot more expensive than I'd expected for 1911 mags (had seen ads in the past for ~$10 each). Just thought I'd verify I'm getting the best deal possible. Thanks!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks to everyone for all the advice and congrats on my purchase. I'm as happy as I can be about the gun without having fired it. Thankfully it's only a couple of days till the weekend, when I can take it out and put some rounds through it. Can't wait!

Oh and BTW, on those mags, where is the best place to get them? Those brands mentioned seem a lot more expensive than I'd expected for 1911 mags (had seen ads in the past for ~$10 each). Just thought I'd verify I'm getting the best deal possible. Thanks!

Cheap 1911 Mags may or may not run well in a particular gun. I have learned to just bit the bullet and get the good ones.
    That is also the case in any Mags that we buy.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Awesome, thanks for the recommendations everyone! BBI, that is a beautiful Sig and a great price. Once my bank account recovers I may have to take a harder look at it :)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So, a question. I was reading through the manual and it didn't say anything about cleaning the gun before the first range trip. Most of the guns I have state this in the manual, so I was curious why the Ruger doesn't mention it. I can tell it has some type of grease applied. Should I leave that for the first range trip, or clean it as I normally would? Do the rails need some type of grease, opposed to just gun oil? As stated, new to 1911's and not sure what extra care is needed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Of course you should clean it. Completely.

On my stainless guns I use engine assembly lube on the rails. It is the red lube and I believe permatex makes it. There are many great lubes available as you probably already know.
    Oil will work on the rails.

solarpimp

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but PSA has good prices on a lot of the 1911's. They had one of the very basic Philipino 1911's for under $300 not too long ago. Right now they have a good price on a Sig Spartan.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have to say I'm impressed. Shot about 170 rounds through the SR1911 this morning at Parabellum. The thing is a tack driver and feels great to me. Very happy with it. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pics of the targets, but I did get a shot of my dirty girl afterwards:

Top Bottom