• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Scenario:

I see someone trying to steal my neighbor's car. I call 911 and go outside to intervene. Things go south and I end up shooting and killing the thief. I end up being arrested and having to hire a lawyer. Do you think I will even be able to count on my neighbor to donate his comprehensive deductible amount to my legal fund?

**** his car, that's what insurance is for. I'll call 911. But I'd sure feel better if I killed him and got kudos from Internet warriors for taking a thug off the streets. But when I need money to pay the legals fees, I'm sure those same Internet warriors will be nowhere around to help.

If my neighbor or his family is in danger, all bets are off.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Zimmerman is the catalyst during the immediacy of the moment. Had Zimmerman been in his home playing video games, what's the likelihood that Martin would have ended up dead? Pretty remote I imagine. If Zimmerman had been out at a movie, what's the likelihood that Martin would have committed a criminal act; we don't know but I'd also imagine fairly remote

Right. Because Martin had the right to be wherever he wanted without so much as a question being asked of him, yet Zimmerman had no right at all to be on the property or so much as exit his vehicle.

Zimmerman's actions were reckless, and maybe legal.
    One can indeed be "reckless," and "legal," and I think such applies to Zimmerman.

Society has a way of shunning those that do dumb things when they should have known better. I wish no physical harm to come to Zimmerman. I want no one to abuse the law to antagonize or otherwise hinder Zimmerman's life. Quite the contrary. I want him to live a long, full life always realizing that he did something stupid. If he is forever viewed, by society, as if he has the plague, I have no issue. He made his bed, he can sleep in it.

Oh, officer, you better pray that you're never involved in any self defense shooting with even the littlest bit of ambiguity. Your words may come back to haunt you.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Maybe, maybe not, just hope that they're not beating the drum for your indictment or otherwise throwing you to the wolves.

Or putting bounties on his head for what on the surface may seem like a righteous shoot of a person of the wrong color.

No possession you or my neighbors own is worth the legal trouble for me, let alone on someone who is only guilty of walking while suspicious.

Nowhere have unsupported or condoned the actions of Jesse, Al, black panthers or any of the other douche bags trying to exact vigilante justice. None of those things have any effect on what took place that night.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    No possession you or my neighbors own is worth the legal trouble for me, let alone on someone who is only guilty of walking while suspicious.

Nowhere have unsupported or condoned the actions of Jesse, Al, black panthers or any of the other douche bags trying to exact vigilante justice. None of those things have any effect on what took place that night.

Zimmerman made a decision to get involved. You won't. I'd rather he were my neighbor than you.

Nothing personal, but I don't weigh right and wrong on how much legal trouble I might get in later. You're the other guy.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Washington Post

Justice Department investigates shooting of Florida teen, doubts arise about federal hate-crime charges

DOJ Officials: It would be difficult to prosecute the case under federal law. Civil rights law protects against hate crimes, Martin’s shooting may not have either of those elements.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Zimmerman made a decision to get involved. You won't. I'd rather he were my neighbor than you.

Nothing personal, but I don't weigh right and wrong on how much legal trouble I might get in later. You're the other guy.

Possessions can be replaced. A life can't. I'll act when life is in danger but not possessions. The fact that Zimmerman now has to grovel for donations for legal bills goes to show the people he was protecting aren't there for him when he's in trouble. Sorry, I'm not risking my livelihood for people that won't help me in return.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh, officer, you better pray that you're never involved in any self defense shooting with even the littlest bit of ambiguity. Your words may come back to haunt you.

I pray it doesn't but then again, I'm fairly confident that I'm a fair bit smarter (and can handle a tad more stress) than Zim.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I pray it doesn't but then again, I'm fairly confident that I'm a fair bit smarter (and can handle a tad more stress) than Zim.

Sure, everyone is a cannot fail expert until trouble finds them. Nothing can go wrong for you. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sure, everyone is a cannot fail expert until trouble finds them. Nothing can go wrong for you. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Well, to be fair, I kinda go looking for trouble. But then again, that's what I'm paid to do... :dunno:

(caveat: I don't start harassing people for pre-crime though)

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Well, to be fair, I kinda go looking for trouble. But then again, that's what I'm paid to do... :dunno:

Officer, you've never thought anyone was acting suspiciously and asked what they were doing where they were? For some reason, I find that hard to believe. You've never observed them (which, apparently, is considered "harrassing")? Do you just sit at the station and wait for the calls?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you took the exact incident that happened there and the only difference being that Zimmerman was an on duty LEO, the situation would be much different for Zimmerman. The pd, IE taxpayers would be paying his legal bills and any wrongful death payouts. The LEO would not be personally on the hook financially. Give me that same immunity and I'll risk my livelihood for your precious possessions.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Possessions can be replaced. A life can't. I'll act when life is in danger but not possessions. The fact that Zimmerman now has to grovel for donations for legal bills goes to show the people he was protecting aren't there for him when he's in trouble. Sorry, I'm not risking my livelihood for people that won't help me in return.

Gee, I know who I would want living next door. When you see the stranger slipping into the neighbor's garage, how do you know no one is in danger precisely? What if my elderly widowed neighbor hears a noise and gets up to see what it is? What if he slips on into the house? Of course you don't know as you are cowering in your house wondering when 911 will get there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

But you do advocate for ruining people's lives without any actual investigation or due process. That is almost as good.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If you took the exact incident that happened there and the only difference being that Zimmerman was an on duty LEO, the situation would be much different for Zimmerman. The pd, IE taxpayers would be paying his legal bills and any wrongful death payouts. The LEO would not be personally on the hook financially. Give me that same immunity and I'll risk my livelihood for your precious possessions.

The police state to which you cling must be a wonderful warm blanket for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom