churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    His comment was entirely on point. You said:

There are people here who have argued (though they didn't use the term "rub their noses in it" that they open carry for that very reason, to educate people that they have the right to open carry.

You and the young men they talked to call it rubbing noses, I can rephrase it to "asserting their rights."

I wouldn't have a problem with some young men walking through a white neighborhood in order to provoke the residents and educate them that young men in hoodies have a right to walk wherever they want.

As Pocketman was demonstrating with his comment, that exact reasoning has been applied to open carry.

BTW, Trayvon Martin wasn't walking in a white neighborhood.

We can rub this on all sides,top and bottom. The activity I spoke of was young men not educating as you would like them to do (and I as well) but inciting emotion. Being confrontational only because they feel it is OK for them to do. If you or I tried it in the areas they grew up in, we would not make it back to our cars. Many are just looking for a fight. That is a statement in fact, truth, reality, any way you want to put it. It is a double standard that exist's due to the race card. It happens around my area a lot. The trouble makers are usually not from here. This is not a lumping of the entire black community but a growing part of it.
    I have not read this entire thread as it gets my hair up. We all have our opinions and I do respect the comment by pocket man on open carry now that I have all the facts. I will do more research in future. Just an attempt to put some real, non-spin info into this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My future son in law is a young hard working black male. We have discussed this at length and his friends have offered their comments and feelings as well. For the most part they are not up in arms racially over all of this. They are a bit disgusted by the way things have been twisted around in the media and by Al and Jesse. These young men are aware of what they call "The uniform" and the effect it has on the general population. The uniform is the hoodie, saggy pants etc. They are also aware of "Walking while black" in a mostly white gated community while wearing the uniform. They say that some of these young black boy's and men love to flaunt and rub our noses in the fact they can do as they wish where ever they wish. If you call them on the activity they throw the race card. It is there for them to use at will.
    These young men I have been in conversation with do not like this as it makes life rough on them. I think a lot of us just want the race baiting and such to go away. It is to often used as a tool to get away with something.
    Not just my opinion.

It's sad that you have to qualify it like that (no purple).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's sad that you have to qualify it like that (no purple).

I agree. I was in my sophomore year when the buses started rolling. It was a bad time for everyone. A lot has changed since then but a lot has not. There is anger bred into so many young folks to keep Al and Jesse in a job.
    I go into a lot of inner city areas to work on refrigeration in the little markets. I am the only white person for as far as you can see. For the most part I have no issues. The cashiers look at me with disdain and smirk when asked questions but I can get around that. The issues i have are when the teens and young adults arrive in groups of 2 or more. I have had some interesting conversations and some confrontational moments. I really do not care about that either. I CC and once they know it, they usually go away. If I were to act like sheeple, they would pounce on me in a heartbeat. I pass the test and they stop. They are pushing to look for openings and looking for a fight. So much anger in the youth.

That is the reason I think Travon confronted Z. He may have had this mentality. Not sure but it is more common than most are aware.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I agree. I was in my sophomore year when the buses started rolling. It was a bad time for everyone. A lot has changed since then but a lot has not. There is anger bred into so many young folks to keep Al and Jesse in a job.
    I go into a lot of inner city areas to work on refrigeration in the little markets. I am the only white person for as far as you can see. For the most part I have no issues. The cashiers look at me with disdain and smirk when asked questions but I can get around that. The issues i have are when the teens and young adults arrive in groups of 2 or more. I have had some interesting conversations and some confrontational moments. I really do not care about that either. I CC and once they know it, they usually go away. If I were to act like sheeple, they would pounce on me in a heartbeat. I pass the test and they stop. They are pushing to look for openings and looking for a fight. So much anger in the youth.

That is the reason I think Travon confronted Z. He may have had this mentality. Not sure but it is more common than most are aware.

Maybe if we all spent more time mentoring these youth and less time cutting them down, we could change this for the better. Hoodies and saggy pants don't affect my ability to live my life. But some people seem to get an inordinate amount of pleasure chastising the youth for it.

Kind of hard to repair a bad relationship when both sides don't want to. A teenage male could wear a 3 piece suit every day and in the minds of some, he's still a know nothing punk.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe if we all spent more time mentoring these youth and less time cutting them down, we could change this for the better. Hoodies and saggy pants don't affect my ability to live my life. But some people seem to get an inordinate amount of pleasure chastising the youth for it.

Kind of hard to repair a bad relationship when both sides don't want to. A teenage male could wear a 3 piece suit every day and in the minds of some, he's still a know nothing punk.

I hope you did not get your response from my post. I work around these folks a lot and as mentioned, they are joining my family.
    I do agree with your post but most do not want to be mentored. Not all but most.
    This is like thinking that all Harley riders are low life bikers. That used to be the mentality as folks tend to lump into groups. Same thing with young folks and the "Uniform"......Once that mindset is in place, you, I, all of us are hard pressed to change it.
    That said, even you are leery when around a group of these people. They want it that way. This is a statement in fact.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    There's a lot of guys who posted early in this thread, including the OP, who need to consider changing their opinion and offering an apology in this thread. CNN is now the 3rd network to announce that they purposely altered the original 911 call and also altered the police video. A CNN senior VP appeared on their air this morning to say that what they did "was wrong and was below the standards we must maintain."

The media, realizing that the feeding frenzy regarding Zimmerman is now over, since he did nothing wrong, has now turned their attention to Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. The media just never learns. They can't help themselves. The facts out of Sanford prove one thing: Florida's law WORKED. Zimmerman used deadly force to repel the attack of Martin. It worked.

There's no shortage of you who are now welcome to line-up in this thread and offer your explanation and apology.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    CNN Enhances Zimmerman 911 Call Again — And Reporter Now Doubts Racial Slur Used

CNN admits to its mistake.

There's a lot of guys who posted early in this thread, including the OP, who need to consider changing their opinion and offering an apology in this thread. CNN is now the 3rd network to announce that they purposely altered the original 911 call and also altered the police video. A CNN senior VP appeared on their air this morning to say that what they did "was wrong and was below the standards we must maintain."

The media, realizing that the feeding frenzy regarding Zimmerman is now over, since he did nothing wrong, has now turned their attention to Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. The media just never learns. They can't help themselves. The facts out of Sanford prove one thing: Florida's law WORKED. Zimmerman used deadly force to repel the attack of Martin. It worked.

There's no shortage of you who are now welcome to line-up in this thread and offer your explanation and apology.

Does not matter the damage has been done. Think back to the last presidential election and how Saturday Night Live did a skit in which an actoress comes out dresses as Sarah Palin and saus "I can see russia from my back yard." Sarah Palin never said that exact quote yet months latter Jay Leno and several other talk show host were interviewing people in the street and asked who said "I can see Russia from my back yard." and everyone said Sarah Palin and then some go on to say how "stupid" she (SP) is cause you can't see Russian from her back yard.

Yet it was NOT S.P. that said that. Move that to this topic and again it does not matter what the media does/says now. To the majority of America's Z say "the guy is black" yet we all know from the 9-1-1 calls he only said that AFTER asked what the guy was.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

But it does show you the power of the MEDIA and how it so easly can be used against us in a whim.

-Jedi

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

That CNN retraction doesn't change my opinion of Zimmerman one bit. I never put any stock in the slur story to begin with.

Do I believe Martin's race played a role in Zimmerman's threat assessment/profile of Martin? Yes. Do I think Zimmerman's actions were driven by racism? No. I believe his elitist and tyrannical tendencies are responsible for his actions.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    That CNN retraction doesn't change my opinion of Zimmerman one bit. I never put any stock in the slur story to begin with.

Do I believe Martin's race played a role in Zimmerman's threat assessment/profile of Martin? Yes. Do I think Zimmerman's actions were driven by racism? No. I believe his elitist and tyrannical tendencies are responsible for his actions.

So how do we go from a man with a history of working with charitable organizations helping black youth, to him being a man with "elitist and tyrannical tendencies"? :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    CNN is now the 3rd network to announce that they purposely altered the original 911 call and also altered the police video.

If only the New York Times would admit their role in playing prosecutor, we would then have a perfect Duke LaCrosse redux.

Feeding the Media Circus with the Rule of Man. Blah.:n00b:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So how do we go from a man with a history of working with charitable organizations helping black youth, to him being a man with "elitist and tyrannical tendencies"? :dunno:
    "elitist and tyrannical tendencies" = "busybody" and we all hate "busybodies" and that's what we base our decisions and opinions on regardless of the facts.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Not allowing a person to walk down the street minding their own business makes them a champion of liberty?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    "elitist and tyrannical tendencies" = "busybody" and we all hate "busybodies" and that's what we base our decisions and opinions on regardless of the facts.

So I'm free to harass any person I so choose and impede their business for no other reason than they raise my suspicions?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom