• Status
    Not open for further replies.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    As "fair and balanced" contributor so eloquently stated, black kids in hoodies are just asking for trouble. Was George Zimmerman racially motivated? Based upon Geraldo's comment, maybe he was.

Projecting his own prejudice onto Zimmerman says nothing at all about Zimmerman but much about Geraldo.

Certainly not motivated to shoot the kid, but it may have been the impetus for considering Martin as suspicious. It's easy for any of us to stereotype those whom we perceive as different. Does that equate to being bias or racially prejudice? If so, beware of throwing the first stone.

Again, unfounded speculation based only on one's own biases says nothing about Zimmerman.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Projecting his own prejudice onto Zimmerman says nothing at all about Zimmerman but much about Geraldo.

While Geraldo's comment sparked controversy, I don't think what he said was radical. Geraldo owns his comments and they do not portray anything about Zimmerman specifically. Geraldo's comments, and the mixed reactions, do however say something about society in general.

Again, unfounded speculation based only on one's own biases says nothing about Zimmerman.

Of course it's speculation, just like most of what's in this thread. Point I'm trying to make is that Zimmerman is human and may have reacted as Geraldo and who knows how many other people. We all (well at least most) have our biases.

Since we're speculating, could be Zimmerman was 100% in control of the situation and very calculated in his evaluation of a kid "...on drugs, he's definitely messed up."

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    While Geraldo's comment sparked controversy, I don't think what he said was radical. Geraldo owns his comments and they do not portray anything about Zimmerman specifically. Geraldo's comments, and the mixed reactions, do however say something about society in general.

We can not know anything about Zimmerman's state of mind from Geraldo's state of mind is my point. Geraldo is ridiculously irrelevant to the situation unless Zimmerman made some statement to affirm his G.R.'s off the cuff ramblings. I also don't think anything about society is revealed, if a hoodie wearing 50 year old white fat guy was walking around people's lawns in a gated I would expect exactly the same thing to happen as happened to Martin. If you're behaving suspiciously then you'll get noticed.

Of course it's speculation, just like most of what's in this thread. Point I'm trying to make is that Zimmerman is human and may have reacted as Geraldo and who knows how many other people. We all (well at least most) have our biases.

Since we're speculating, could be Zimmerman was 100% in control of the situation and very calculated in his evaluation of a kid "...on drugs, he's definitely messed up."

Speculation about circumstances is quite different than speculation about another person's state of mind. The former has at least some information (such as timing and location) to base inferences on, the latter has no information to base inferences on except projection of one's prejudices and suppositions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As "fair and balanced" contributor so eloquently stated, black kids in hoodies are just asking for trouble. Was George Zimmerman racially motivated? Based upon Geraldo's comment, maybe he was. Certainly not motivated to shoot the kid, but it may have been the impetus for considering Martin as suspicious. It's easy for any of us to stereotype those whom we perceive as different. Does that equate to being bias or racially prejudice? If so, beware of throwing the first stone.

My future son in law is a young hard working black male. We have discussed this at length and his friends have offered their comments and feelings as well. For the most part they are not up in arms racially over all of this. They are a bit disgusted by the way things have been twisted around in the media and by Al and Jesse. These young men are aware of what they call "The uniform" and the effect it has on the general population. The uniform is the hoodie, saggy pants etc. They are also aware of "Walking while black" in a mostly white gated community while wearing the uniform. They say that some of these young black boy's and men love to flaunt and rub our noses in the fact they can do as they wish where ever they wish. If you call them on the activity they throw the race card. It is there for them to use at will.
    These young men I have been in conversation with do not like this as it makes life rough on them. I think a lot of us just want the race baiting and such to go away. It is to often used as a tool to get away with something.
    Not just my opinion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not unlike the open carry crowd.

No, that is not at all what was meant by this. Do not use my statement to go off track. If you wish, start another thread and we will beat this issue around and probably come to no clear conclusions on this either....No slam, just saying.

I am not an open carry person by choice. I believe folks have decisions to make and that would be one way but not mine. The statement I made was in relation to the issue put forth in this thread. I was adding info. I gained from speaking openly and honestly with young hard working blacks that are not pleased with how all this is going. Just that. No sound bites please.

End of rant...carry on................:patriot:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    No, that is not at all what was meant by this. Do not use my statement to go off track. If you wish, start another thread and we will beat this issue around and probably come to no clear conclusions on this either....No slam, just saying.

I am not an open carry person by choice. I believe folks have decisions to make and that would be one way but not mine. The statement I made was in relation to the issue put forth in this thread. I was adding info. I gained from speaking openly and honestly with young hard working blacks that are not pleased with how all this is going. Just that. No sound bites please.

End of rant...carry on................:patriot:
    Figured putting my comment in purple would be indicative of the tongue in cheek manner in which it was made. Really had nothing to do with your post. Sorry churchmouse.

For what it's worth, I thought your post (before I sucked out the flaunt phrase) was a good one. In retrospect I should have just replied as such and moved on.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    He doesn't like America. He just hates Britain worse. At least for some things.

I have a friend who lives in London with his wife and two daughters. He doesn't understand the "need" for guns, and he just accepts that violence may happen to you. But better his daughter get raped than some gang-banger get killed. Also, he doesn't believe in owning the government. But then again, neither does half of America.

Different mindset.

Poor bastard is a subject. We're citizens.

You're right, different mindset.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    These young men are aware of what they call "The uniform"
    hammer-attack.jpg

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Not unlike the open carry crowd.

No, that is not at all what was meant by this. Do not use my statement to go off track. If you wish, start another thread and we will beat this issue around and probably come to no clear conclusions on this either....No slam, just saying....snip No sound bites please.

His comment was entirely on point. You said:

They are also aware of "Walking while black" in a mostly white gated community while wearing the uniform. They say that some of these young black boy's and men love to flaunt and rub our noses in the fact they can do as they wish where ever they wish. .

There are people here who have argued (though they didn't use the term "rub their noses in it" that they open carry for that very reason, to educate people that they have the right to open carry.

You and the young men they talked to call it rubbing noses, I can rephrase it to "asserting their rights."

I wouldn't have a problem with some young men walking through a white neighborhood in order to provoke the residents and educate them that young men in hoodies have a right to walk wherever they want.

As Pocketman was demonstrating with his comment, that exact reasoning has been applied to open carry.

BTW, Trayvon Martin wasn't walking in a white neighborhood.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom