• Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How many dogs are we talking about here? Assuming for the sake of argument that these 'bites' were totally unwarranted, that still doesn't prove anything about dogs on the whole.

Even if Zimmerman is a racist killer, that doesn't prove anything about race relations in the US. But to those quick to jump to generalizations, one killing does a social problem make.

I have seen several situations at various times and levels of severity. I prefer not to discuss some of the worse examples openly.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Contrast that to the Indiana prosecutor in this thread who released a memo supporting the rights of citizens to defend themselves and refusing to put them before a grand jury despite the sheriff wanting him to
    Can a parallel be made here to the detective who wanted Zimmerman to be arrested but the prosecutor refused? Perhaps the detective was one of those LEOs who don't think ordinary citizens have the right to carry firearms and be able to defend themselves.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Can a parallel be made here to the detective who wanted Zimmerman to be arrested but the prosecutor refused? Perhaps the detective was one of those LEOs who don't think ordinary citizens have the right to carry firearms and be able to defend themselves.

Not at present, as we don't know whether the Florida prosecutor believed a crime had occurred but recognized he couldn't prove it; versus whether he believed that no crime had occurred.

We also don't know if the detective recognizes legal self-defense but didn't believe that was what happened here; versus whether he is an anti-gunner.

In the Trafalgar case, the memo makes it clear exactly what is going on.

Best,

Joe

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    we don't know whether the Florida prosecutor believed a crime had occurred but recognized he couldn't prove it
    Since evidence is what points to crime v. self defense, why would you say the prosecutor might think he was guilty of a crime but couldn't prove it? That sounds like prosecutorial bias, wanting to put someone in prison despite evidence to the contrary.

Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Since evidence is what points to crime v. self defense, why would you say the prosecutor might think he was guilty of a crime but couldn't prove it? That sounds like prosecutorial bias, wanting to put someone in prison despite evidence to the contrary.

Or am I misunderstanding something here?

First, there is a huge difference between "evidence" and "evidence that is admissible in court" so there is that issue. Try reading through the rules of evidence and you will see that tons of legally relevant evidence can be inadmissible; nevermind anything involving the exclusionary rule.

Plus, I would think there are probably tons of times where a prosecutor can be reasonably certain a crime occurred but know that there is little to no chance of proving it beyond a reasonable doubt to 12 random citizens; especially with a defense attorney doing everything he can to obscure, obfuscate, and confuse those same 12.

There is no bias implied in this, it is simply a recognition of reality.

For example, a local jury came back "not guilty" on a prosecutor I knows case. They explained that while they unanimously believed the defendant to be actually guilty, there was a reasonable way that she possibly was not. Beyond a reasonable doubt is a really high standard, basically proving there was NO reasonable way that the defendant could be innocent.

Joe

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Funny, I don't see Al or Jesse on the news complaining about the 17 year old kid shot early this morning in Sanford.

toetap.gif

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No validity in the statements they make anymore. Once the "Facts" start to surface they slink away only to emerge during the next opportunity to get their mugs on TV and down the white establishment. I am not a Neo-Nazi or white supremacist but what they thrive on is race baiting.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Experts say it can't be Martin, experts say it can't be Zimmerman, Martin's dad said it wasnt his son..

Who's on first? :dunno:

To coin a phrase from my Lifer Military uncles...An "Ex" is a has been and a "Spert" is a drip under pressure. Go figure. How in the heck can you tell over a cell phone from a distance who is what and what is who.

I will not share with you there definition of a "Lifer".................;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom