Not open for further replies.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I guess the root of it, is that I think zimmerman did a poor job.

You're welcome to your opinion, but you weren't there, so you don't know what actually happened, and you probably will never know for certain. I'm sure you realize that if you ever have to shoot someone off of yourself, folks will second-guess your actions to the nth degree as well.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I draw a line between being self reliant and policing the neighborhood.

It's hard for me to reconcile the two.

We generally agree. Even when we don't I understand your point. This statement makes no sense whatsoever. Are you taking the ostrich with his head in the sand stance, the it can't happen to me stance, or the it's none of my business what happens as long as it's not on my property stance?

This occurred in a gated community, which implies that the residents held a common position that they wanted to provide as much protection for themselves and their property as is reasonable. They had a neighborhood watch program, which means they proactively took steps to avoid crime.

It's hard for me to reconcile why you can't be concerned about your neighbors.

I guess the root of it, is that I think zimmerman did a poor job.

He did a poor job what? Again, makes no sense. Unless you have access to evidence that I haven't seen, how can you make any kind of judgment on what he did or didn't do?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    There are three kinds of shooting.

1) In your home
    2) On your property
    3) Somewhere else

#3 will fry your ass every time if you are not 100% golden in all of your decison making. Tracking down an unarmed citizen will put you in the worst possible light as a gun owner who carries, before the first fact is even found.

As a gun owner, I would have prefered the cops find all the facts in the first 24 hours.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We generally agree. Even when we don't I understand your point. This statement makes no sense whatsoever. Are you taking the ostrich with his head in the sand stance, the it can't happen to me stance, or the it's none of my business what happens as long as it's not on my property stance?

This occurred in a gated community, which implies that the residents held a common position that they wanted to provide as much protection for themselves and their property as is reasonable. They had a neighborhood watch program, which means they proactively took steps to avoid crime.

I agree with this. I have an elderly widow woman living next door. I do little things to try to help out (clear snow out of drive). If I saw someone on her property that I did not recognize, I would be asking them who they were and what they were doing there. I would be armed when I did it too. I think not to do so would be uncivilized.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    image.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

He did a poor job what? Again, makes no sense. Unless you have access to evidence that I haven't seen, how can you make any kind of judgment on what he did or didn't do?

If you see a suspicious person, and you approach them, just be aware that you may be poking a bear. I'm of the "don't poke the bear" crowd.

Now if you see someone breaking a window, kicking a door, etc, by all means, do something.

If Zimmerman didn't do a bad job, then the bar for NW is set pretty low.

He turned what should have been a simple conversation or phone call into a funeral. That is a big time fail in my book.

Zimmerman was armed, knew the territory, and had reinforcements coming. All tactical sense tells you to dig in and wait. His hubris got the better of him.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    If you see a suspicious person, and you approach them, just be aware that you may be poking a bear. I'm of the "don't poke the bear" crowd.

I'm of the love and protect your neighbor as you do yourself crowd.

Now if you see someone breaking a window, kicking a door, etc, by all means, do something.

So you have to wait for suspicion to become action?

If Zimmerman didn't do a bad job, then the bar for NW is set pretty low.

OK, that meant absolutely nothing.

He turned what should have been a simple conversation or phone call into a funeral. That is a big time fail in my book.

How exactly did he turn what should have been a simple conversation or phone call into a funeral? There is no evidence that he provoked any confrontation. The released and unrefuted facts are that he was getting a beatdown and took steps to defend himself.

Making bald assertions without access to or consideration of the totality of the facts is big time fail in my book.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    I still don't get this false dichotomy that if you have someone volunteer to care for your property it's evil, but if you pay them and put a piece of metal on their chest it's OK.

But we make sure that real cops go through proper training on how to handle situations like this and de-escalate the situation if needed. Or at least have less lethal techniques.
    As for the bump on his head if the EMTs didn't bandage it than they need to find different work. Have they ever heard of infection or the fact that to really close the wound they would have to shave that part of his head.

I would not want to be a member of that HOA, seems like a lot of liability there to specificly name him.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe M could have just walked away and didn't.

Z may have made errors at lessening the chance of a confrontation, but with the thug mindset a confrontation can come from anything, anywhere..........even without provocation.

We simply don't know what went on at this time.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    But we make sure that real cops go through proper training on how to handle situations like this and de-escalate the situation if needed. Or at least have less lethal techniques.

That's why they should be the only one's allowed to carry guns, right? Because nothing bad can happen with police? So, if Zimmerman was wearing a tin star issued by the state, everything would be A-OK?

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    As for the bump on his head if the EMTs didn't bandage it than they need to find different work. Have they ever heard of infection or the fact that to really close the wound they would have to shave that part of his head.

I would not want to be a member of that HOA, seems like a lot of liability there to specificly name him.

And this is how it happens...they wouldn't necessarily bandage it as it is hard to tape on hair even if short and we do not shave heads to close wounds as it increases the risk of infection. Next expert please.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

We shouldn't trust people to carry guns and defend themselves.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    And this is how it happens...they wouldn't necessarily bandage it as it is hard to tape on hair even if short and we do not shave heads to close wounds as it increases the risk of infection. Next expert please.

I am sorry where did I EVER claim to be an expert? I know when they do surgury that they shave the area I was told to help keep the area clean and prevent infection.

I never said that no one but cops should have guns so where that was pulled from is beyond me.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom