Not open for further replies.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    This is what we call in the trade, "grasping at straws."

Oh, I don't know; I've thought since the beginning that Zimmerman's biggest legal problem here is likely going to be an "unclean hands" type of issue.

If, and I do say IF, he started the fight, just because he is losing doesn't mean he gets to pull a gun.

If he started the fight, ie: committed battery or criminal confinement, then I don't know that it legally matters that he was the one yelling for help. I've always looked on it as an assumption of risk; if you decide to commit battery, you better make sure you are going to win because self-defense law will often not apply to you if you start losing.

I don't know, but I would guess that FL's statute or caselaw has an unclean hands provision like Indiana's.

Best,

Joe

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Oh, I don't know; I've thought since the beginning that Zimmerman's biggest legal problem here is likely going to be an "unclean hands" type of issue.

If, and I do say IF, he started the fight, just because he is losing doesn't mean he gets to pull a gun.

If he started the fight, ie: committed battery, then I don't know that it legally matters that he was the one yelling for help. I've always looked on it as an assumption of risk; if you decide to commit battery, you better make sure you are going to win because self-defense law will often not apply to you if you start losing.

I don't know, but I would guess that FL's statute or caselaw has an unclean hands provision like Indiana's.

Best,

Joe

Very good point. You attack me and I start shooting you and you shoot back do you really get to claim self defense?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Very good point. You attack me and I start shooting you and you shoot back do you really get to claim self defense?

Not in Indiana:

IC 35-41-3-2(e)
    (e) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (b), and (c), a person is not justified in using force if:
    (1) the person is committing or is escaping after the commission of a crime;
    (2) the person provokes unlawful action by another person with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) the person has entered into combat with another person or is the initial aggressor unless the person withdraws from the encounter and communicates to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.
    (f) Notwithstanding subsection (d), a person is not justified in using force if the person:
    (1) is committing, or is escaping after the commission of, a crime;
    (2) provokes unlawful action by another person, with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) continues to combat another person after the other person withdraws from the encounter and communicates the other person's intent to stop hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.1. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.8; Acts 1979, P.L.297, SEC.1; P.L.59-2002, SEC.1; P.L.189-2006, SEC.1.

Best,

Joe

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I don't have kids, but if I did, and my child was being followed by a person in black suv, who subsequently got out and confronted my kid, I wouldn't be too happy about it. Further, if that stranger tried to detain my kid, I tell him to do whatever he/she had to in order to escape.
    Exactly this!
    I tell my kid the same. You can be polite, non confrontational and maybe answer a few basic simple questions but as soon as some security guard tries to slap a set of cuffs on you for no reason, you better fight because:
    On the other side, the Watch captain might just be a sociopath. Many of these do work their ways into positions of leadership including the military and police work..

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    oh the death threats have already started did you see the post about the wanted dead or alive poster from the black panthers
    It's more than that now.

Black Panthers offer $10,000 bounty for capture of George Zimmerman

SANFORD — Members of the New Black Panther Party are offering a $10,000 reward for the "capture" of George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who shot Trayvon Martin.

New Black Panther leader Mikhail Muhammad announced the reward during a protest in Sanford Saturday. And when asked whether he was inciting violence, Muhammad replied defiantly: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."

The bounty announcement came moments after members of the group called for the mobilization of 10,000 black men to capture Zimmerman, who shot Trayvon in a gated Sanford community on Feb. 26.

Muhammad said members of his group would search for Zimmerman themselves in Maitland — where the 28-year old worked before the shooting, employees there told the Orlando Sentinel. He declined to say when the group would begin their search.

Trayvon Martin case: New Black Panthers offer $10,000 bounty for Trayvon Martin killer George Zimmerman - Orlando Sentinel

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    But wait, there's always more ...

Orlando Sentinel

Muhammad said the group's national chairman, Dr. Malik Zulu Shabaz of Washington, D.C. is receiving donations from black entertainers and athletes. They hope to collect $1 million by next week, Muhammad said.

The party said they would not release the names of donors nor would they provide documentation to support the existence of donations.

Muhammed led the group in chanting "Black Power!"

"If the government won't do the job, we'll do it," Muhammad said, leading his group of eight party members in chants like "freedom or death" and "justice for Trayvon" while making the iconic gesture of raising their fists into the air.

They accused newly-appointed special prosecutor Angela Corley of being an enemy of the black community. "She has a track record of sending innocent young black men and women to prison," he said.

Sanford resident James Tucker said the party's message is about vengeance not justice and will rouse a "lynch mob" that could spiral out of control into a race riot.

"I'm as much for black power as anybody but this is going to alienate the white friends we need to get things done," Tucker said, as he stood across the street from the demonstration.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    evidence is required for legal proceedings, personal opinions are exempt.

Personal opinions based on only the prejudices and baseless suppositions of the one stating them may be "exempt," as you say, but they are, nonetheless, incredibly vapid.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Sanford resident James Tucker said the party's message is about vengeance not justice and will rouse a "lynch mob" that could spiral out of control into a race riot.

"I'm as much for black power as anybody but this is going to alienate the white friends we need to get things done," Tucker said, as he stood across the street from the demonstration.
    Obama's going to lose some of the white friends he needs to get re-elected, by sticking his nose into a Florida issue.

Where is BHO on these bounty offers and other race-baiting anyway? He of all people could've stopped this train, instead of adding more fuel.
    Indeed, President Barack Obama weighed in Friday, calling the shooting a tragedy and saying, "When I think about this boy, I think about my own kids."
    Nice, as long as Trayvon doesn't turn out to be the aggressor.

Last edited:

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils

I saw this on Yahoo but passed on posting it here due to the amazingly biased reporting. You don't have to be a student of journalism (I am) to realize the author's intent. This is yet another sad entry into the sensationalized nonsense that passes for credible reporting these days. The Internet, while on balance an amazing advancement for mankind, certainly has introduced a lot of bad as well.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I saw this on Yahoo but passed on posting it here due to the amazingly biased reporting. You don't have to be a student of journalism (I am) to realize the author's intent. This is yet another sad entry into the sensationalized nonsense that passes for credible reporting these days. The Internet, while on balance an amazing advancement for mankind, certainly has introduced a lot of bad as well.
    i posted this because as you will learn in time the more people know both good and bad the more they will realize the truth.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Good observation. I would argue that the foundational problem is that today, the average American has no idea what information is.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Good observation. I would argue that the foundational problem is that today, the average American has no idea what information is.

Agreed. There's no one under age 40 who has ever seen straight, hard news delivered by a live anchor with little to no spin. Americans today have been conditioned to receive their "news" as entertainment. It must be packaged, sensationalized, and measured for what brings the best audience response. There are no good sources of hard news on TV anymore. Hasn't been for 20 years. Some would argue there never was and, to some extent, they would be correct.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Obama's going to lose some of the white friends he needs to get re-elected, by sticking his nose into a Florida issue.

Where is BHO on these bounty offers and other race-baiting anyway?
    Where's the outrage and public outcry from Obama and Sharpton and Jackson over the shooting of four (two murdered) in Durham yesterday? Or the murder in PA of a taxi driver by a guy for a couple of dollars a few days ago? Is it because the shooters were black?

Hypocrites, the lot of 'em.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Agreed..

Agreed. There's no one under age 40 who has ever seen straight, hard news delivered by a live anchor with little to no spin. Americans today have been conditioned to receive their "news" as entertainment. It must be packaged, sensationalized, and measured for what brings the best audience response. There are no good sources of hard news on TV anymore. Hasn't been for 20 years. Some would argue there never was and, to some extent, they would be correct.

..and agreed.

While there was some spin "back in the day" it was MUCH more subtle, and for the most part, facts were usually at the very least PRESENTED in a news story...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom