Not open for further replies.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Let's get up to date on the Zimmerman case

Prosecutors finally release FBI records to Zimmerman's attorneys. The FBI records should have the DOJ civil rights investigation info.

George Zimmerman FBI records: Prosecutors release FBI records to Zimmerman's attorneys - Orlando Sentinel

The prosecutor requested a court ordered gag order, which was denied by the judge. He complained that it wasn't right that the defense was talking to the media. Yet he himself then leaked the witness list to the media when it was supposed to be secret.

George Zimmerman Murder Trial: Media Playing Central Role in Trayvon Martin Shooting Case? : Home : Lawyer Herald

And finally, former Sanford police investigator Chris Serino, the only one that wanted to arrest Zimmerman, hires Casey Anthony's attorney to represent him. Hmmm...not going so well for him now, is it?

George Zimmerman trial: Former Sanford police investigator Chris Serino hires Jose Baez to represent him - Crimesider - CBS News

That is all. :ingo:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks Griffin for the update.

The last item I thought was interesting.

Question for our LEOs- how often do you hire private counsel to represent you for a deposition? I thought the local prosecutor on the case usually prepped you for the deposition and that was about it... what reasons would you have for hiring private counsel that don't involve you having made or anticipate making false or misleading statements?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Question for our LEOs- how often do you hire private counsel to represent you for a deposition? I thought the local prosecutor on the case usually prepped you for the deposition and that was about it... what reasons would you have for hiring private counsel that don't involve you having made or anticipate making false or misleading statements?

Too high profile. It's smart to hire a lawyer in this case.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Hell yeah bring your own lawyer to a depo. Having been through a TON of depos myself, the prosecutor is NOT your legal counsel and cannot advise you what to answer or say. Only your lawyer can do that. The prosecutor is there to either clarify questions asked by the defense or asks questions helpful to the prosecution. I would 100% have a lawyer who represents MY interests involved, especially in a case this large. SMART. ANY fellow citizen should/would do the same thing.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Hell yeah bring your own lawyer to a depo. Having been through a TON of depos myself, the prosecutor is NOT your legal counsel and cannot advise you what to answer or say. Only your lawyer can do that. The prosecutor is there to either clarify questions asked by the defense or asks questions helpful to the prosecution. I would 100% have a lawyer who represents MY interests involved

You hire your own attorney every time you get deposed?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    They didn't really answer that. I spoke to a retired officer and he said he never hired one in all of his years of police work and gave plenty of depositions...

I'm not LE but;
    Did he ever give a deposition in a nationally (internationally?) watched case? Did he ever give a deposition in a case where he previously lied? (not saying he did, but...)

I think a lot of people are going to get burned over this whole thing, better to lawyer up and get off the titanic ASAP.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I'm not LE but;
    Did he ever give a deposition in a nationally (internationally?) watched case? Did he ever give a deposition in a case where he previously lied? (not saying he did, but...)

Can I infer that police sometimes lie in depositions and routinely get away with it because their feet aren't held to the fire?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Can I infer that police sometimes lie in depositions and routinely get away with it because their feet aren't held to the fire?

Kirk may prove me wrong, but it is my understanding that depositions in Indiana are sworn testimony and are subject to the same rules as courtroom testimony. Every depo I've ever been involved in started with me being sworn-in. And since you infer that police sometimes lie in depositions an get away with it, I'll infer that defendants and defense attorneys also sometimes lie in depositions and get away with it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You hire your own attorney every time you get deposed?

I pay the FOP to provide one. Now, MOST depo's I attend are reference to DUI arrests or similar, they are not looking to jam me up. Those I don't need one because I am not the focus of the depo. However, for my Federal civil rights case against me, yes, my FOP lawyer was there. Any depo where I'm the focus and they are looking to possibly put me in a jam, yes, lawyer will be with me.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Kirk may prove me wrong, but it is my understanding that depositions in Indiana are sworn testimony and are subject to the same rules as courtroom testimony. Every depo I've ever been involved in started with me being sworn-in. And since you infer that police sometimes lie in depositions an get away with it, I'll infer that defendants and defense attorneys also sometimes lie in depositions and get away with it.

I would say that you are absolutely correct. I would also say that the rancor comes from the fact that your word, unless irrefutably proven otherwise, is considered at least as good as Christ's and mine (nor any other non-LEO's) isn't.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I pay the FOP to provide one. Now, MOST depo's I attend are reference to DUI arrests or similar, they are not looking to jam me up. Those I don't need one because I am not the focus of the depo. However, for my Federal civil rights case against me, yes, my FOP lawyer was there. Any depo where I'm the focus and they are looking to possibly put me in a jam, yes, lawyer will be with me.

But the depo being discussed is not where the office is the subject of the case. He is giving testimony as an investigating officer in a criminal case against another party.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom