• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Actually, they could have respondeat superior liability depending on what they actually asked GZ to do and whether he was acting within the scope of that request. The HOA may be hoping he's convicted so they can claim that he committed a criminal act outside the scope of any agency relationship. I do believe that a suit against the HOA was filed within days of this breaking on national news. None of that has anything to do with the rightness or wrongness of GZ's actions.

So the HOA may be wanting to throw him under the bus?

How many here live in communities or HOA's have a few neighbors that in no way would they trust with NWC duties? I can't say that I know very many people who I trust to the point of assuming liability for their actions, especially when I have no control over them? Let's assume without a doubt (forget whose side your on for a moment here) that his actions were legal and the jury votes 9-0 to acquit him. Does everybody in his neighborhood feel that he acted wisely? I'm sure they can vote to can him as NWC but that won't prevent a lawsuit against them.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm looking forward to see if Zimmerman's neighbors are going to be neighborly and help Zimmerman or if they are going to hide in their basement when the collection hat is passed around.

Which has nothing to do with the correctness of Zimmerman's actions. If his neighbor's are ungrateful, that's between him and them.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    So the HOA may be wanting to throw him under the bus?

How many here live in communities or HOA's have a few neighbors that in no way would they trust with NWC duties? I can't say that I know very many people who I trust to the point of assuming liability for their actions, especially when I have no control over them? Let's assume without a doubt (forget whose side your on for a moment here) that his actions were legal and the jury votes 9-0 to acquit him. Does everybody in his neighborhood feel that he acted wisely? I'm sure they can vote to can him as NWC but that won't prevent a lawsuit against them.

Which has what to do with the price of beans in Boston?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Same reason people insist on going back to the coward hiding in a basement thing. I'm no more of a coward hiding in a basement than anyone here is a racist. But since name calling and mud slinging seems to be the cool thing to do here, we can all participate, correct?

I'm not accusing anyone of being racist. Using it to illustrate a point but double standards are alive and well here.

Actually, an adult will usually ignore name-calling or at least dismiss it as name-calling rather than calling names in return. Name-calling doesn't advance an argument; to my mind, it weakens an argument because it implies one doesn't have the critical faculties to present a counter-argument.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I lived in Florida, in a HOA and this isnt quite how it works legally in Florida....Unless it is paid security for the HOA. Volunteers for community programs like neighborhood watch do so at their own risk. And are liable for their own actions. The community is not responsible for Volunteers doing something. They have to be employed or covered(Just read he was endorsed so they are liable) by the HOA for the HOA to be liable. But If they sue the HOA and win its only the HOA's insurance that takes the hit, not the individual residents pocketbooks.

And any volunteer NWC who doesn't have a contract with the neighborhood specifying that any actions (absent criminal intent) committed by the NWC are covered for legal or medical expenses is a fool.

One of my biggest contentions all along about nwg's has been that they're great until there's legal trouble. Then those who wanted it will cower in their basements hiding from the collection hat. THAT is why I'm not getting involved in a situation where there's no evidence of a crime or if only possessions are involved. I'm not risking my livelihood for people who will throw me under the bus when it benefits them. If that makes me a coward who hides in my basement, I'll wear my title proudly.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Actually, an adult will usually ignore name-calling or at least dismiss it as name-calling rather than calling names in return. Name-calling doesn't advance an argument; to my mind, it weakens an argument because it implies one doesn't have the critical faculties to present a counter-argument.

Any reason your singling me out and ignoring the rest of the name callers? I'm guessing it's because they agree with your position. Are they children to?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Which has nothing to do with the correctness of Zimmerman's actions. If his neighbor's are ungrateful, that's between him and them.

If I'm a coward for refusing to be NWC for my neighbors, what are my neighbors if they throw me under the bus?

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    And any volunteer NWC who doesn't have a contract with the neighborhood specifying that any actions (absent criminal intent) committed by the NWC are covered for legal or medical expenses is a fool.

One of my biggest contentions all along about nwg's has been that they're great until there's legal trouble. Then those who wanted it will cower in their basements hiding from the collection hat. THAT is why I'm not getting involved in a situation where there's no evidence of a crime or if only possessions are involved. I'm not risking my livelihood for people who will throw me under the bus when it benefits them. If that makes me a coward who hides in my basement, I'll wear my title proudly.
    VOLUNTEER! Meaning you know what you are VOLUNTEERING for.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    VOLUNTEER! Meaning you know what you are VOLUNTEERING for.

If I'm not worth supporting after I risked my livelihood to protect your stuff, your stuff isn't worth my volunteering.

So you would ask a neighbor to volunteer to be NWC. He's involved in an incident where he's totally in the right but gets charged criminally. He now has to hire a lawyer out of his own pocket to defend himself. Or, he gets sued by the criminal. Even if the criminal's suit is baseless, the volunteer still has to hire a lawyer out of his own pocket. When the volunteer comes to you to help, you're going to tell him "Well you volunteered, you should have known what you were volunteering for." Who's being neighborly?

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    If I'm not worth supporting after I risked my livelihood to protect your stuff, your stuff isn't worth my volunteering.

So you would ask a neighbor to volunteer to be NWC. He's involved in an incident where he's totally in the right but gets charged criminally. He now has to hire a lawyer out of his own pocket to defend himself. Or, he gets sued by the criminal. Even if the criminal's suit is baseless, the volunteer still has to hire a lawyer out of his own pocket. When the volunteer comes to you to help, you're going to tell him "Well you volunteered, you should have known what you were volunteering for." Who's being neighborly?
    Belive me, we all know your stance on what you would do. Me on the other hand, I would help him. I think as long as he did everything legal he should be supported. Dont think you know who I am or what I would do. And as far as I know so far he has raised a few hundred thousand for legal fees from lots of people. Im sorry your crystal ball doesnt show you all the support from his neighbors....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Belive me, we all know your stance on what you would do. Me on the other hand, I would help him. I think as long as he did everything legal he should be supported. Dont think you know who I am or what I would do. And as far as I know so far he has raised a few hundred thousand for legal fees from lots of people. Im sorry your crystal ball doesnt show you all the support from his neighbors....

He raised around $200k with his own website that his lawyers made him shut down. The new one created hasn't fared so well. I haven't seen any figures but I'd guess he's easily went through $200k in legal fees by now.

I carry a $1million umbrella policy above and beyond what my vehicle and homeowners policies cover. I doubt the umbrella policy would cover me in a NWC role off of my property.

A lot of people like a lot of things until they're asked to pony up. When I first moved into my old house, my household goods were being delivered in a semi (got out of the Army). A neighbor a few houses down seemed thrilled with the excitement that a semi was trying to drive through the neighborhood and was even helping to direct the guy around the turns. Once she went home, she realized she had no electricity due to the semi knocking power lines down. She then proceeded to rant and rave at the semi driver for having a truck in town and he wasn't supposed to be there. If that's how neighbors are for simple ****, how are they going to be when the **** hits the fan?

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    If I'm a coward for refusing to be NWC for my neighbors, what are my neighbors if they throw me under the bus?
    Who said his neighbors are throwing him under the bus?

Although the simple fact is, we've got one group of people who will almost certainly riot if they don't get their way, right or wrong.

The other group likely wouldn't fire off a postcard to their congressman to stop Zimmerman from being executed.

Ignorant, active, and violent vs educated, complacent, and lazy...which side would you suck up to if you were a politician?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    A lot of people like a lot of things until they're asked to pony up. When I first moved into my old house, my household goods were being delivered in a semi (got out of the Army). A neighbor a few houses down seemed thrilled with the excitement that a semi was trying to drive through the neighborhood and was even helping to direct the guy around the turns. Once she went home, she realized she had no electricity due to the semi knocking power lines down. She then proceeded to rant and rave at the semi driver for having a truck in town and he wasn't supposed to be there. If that's how neighbors are for simple ****, how are they going to be when the **** hits the fan?

People are fickle. You don't want to help them. Fine. Great. What does that have to do with GZ other than you don't like him for stepping up? You think he's a fool. Fine. We get it. You don't need to constantly repeat this. Nobody doubts that you wouldn't lift a finger for a neighbor. We believe you. Get over it already.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    People are fickle. You don't want to help them. Fine. Great. What does that have to do with GZ other than you don't like him for stepping up? You think he's a fool. Fine. We get it. You don't need to constantly repeat this. Nobody doubts that you wouldn't lift a finger for a neighbor. We believe you. Get over it already.

If there wasn't any repetition in this thread, it'd be 80+ pages and 3000+ posts shorter.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

This. You must be a Klan member with me.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Welcome to the Klan.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom