• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    IANAL but wouldn't that depend on the status of his SYG claim when the dust settles on the criminal case? If that's upheld I think Zimmerman would be imune to civil action.

But then with the the narrative the media have reported I doubt any jury at this point can be any more objective than OJ's was. After all Zimmerman is guilty because we need justice for Trayvon.

I don't know about anywhere else but just because your innocent in a criminal trial it doesn't mean Jack in a civil trial. Look at OJ in California, and Google the Martin Lee Anderson case in Fl. The Governor had paid that family off before he criminal trial even started....and they were found not guilty...

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't know what to think if some celebrity didn't weigh in on any controversial subject and tell me their opinion.

Because after all, we all have the same protections and attentiveness by our municipalities, regardless of economic influences.

Thanks Mr Cosby.
    Now please go have a Coke and stfu.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Here's the reason the Family and lawyers pushed for the arrest. They even said, "We aren't looking for a conviction. We are asking that he be arrested."

Ask yourself why would anyone want an arrest without a conviction?

“We are not asking that he be convicted; We are asking that he be arrested”

Why is that so important?

The answer can be found in the statutes of Florida law surrounding Justifiable Use Of Force (Statute 776) which outlines in Statute 776.032

Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force:

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

(3) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1).

Note that in section 2 of the immunity statute 776.032 a person is “immune” from criminal or CIVIL action if they are not arrested. The arrest itself can be interpreted as “Probable Cause” the force, or action taken, was unlawful.

Remember the key distinction between guilt or innocence in Criminal vs. Civil trials. In criminal trials the burden of proof is “beyond a reasonable doubt”. In civil trials the burden of proof is “with a preponderance of the existing evidence”; this is where probable cause comes into play. For the purpose of “monetary justice” it only takes an arrest; a subsequent conviction is not necessary.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can you provide a link please? For the:“We are not asking that he be convicted; We are asking that he be arrested”

If it is true - they wont get rich.

So they bankrupt him. Not like they're going to reap in a lot of money from the HOA either.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Who here has said anything about taking away guns or the gun was the problem?

Cosby said that Zimmerman thought he was a big man because he had a gun therefore he confronted Martin instead of just calling 911 and letting the police handle it. Are you seriously saying that noone on the thread either said exactly the same thing or implied it strongly?

What does stuff like "wannabe" or that he should have just called 911 and not done anything else imply to you?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Cosby said that Zimmerman thought he was a big man because he had a gun therefore he confronted Martin instead of just calling 911 and letting the police handle it. Are you seriously saying that noone on the thread either said exactly the same thing or implied it strongly?

What does stuff like "wannabe" or that he should have just called 911 and not done anything else imply to you?

I said and it's been said by others here in different topics that if you wouldn't do something or go somewhere without your gun, you shouldn't do it with your gun. I believe Zimmerman would have acted the same way armed or not. I don't believe a busybody or wannabe change his stripes because he's armed or not. For some people, it's just in their nature to save everyone from themselves or others. Armed or not, his situation is not one I would have engaged a verbal encounter.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Which is based on evidence, which we have been trying to talk about. Not feelings or what someone else would have done in that situation.

I am very curious about what new evidence Angela Corey came up with.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Which is based on evidence, which we have been trying to talk about. Not feelings or what someone else would have done in that situation.

I am very curious about what new evidence Angela Corey came up with.

And I'm sure until those facts are brought outin trial you or I won't know what they are. So what grounds do you, I or anybody demand that this case be thrown out?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    And I'm sure until those facts are brought outin trial you or I won't know what they are. So what grounds do you, I or anybody demand that this case be thrown out?

I think it should be thrown out for his white half. His hispanic half should be prosecuted.

Based on what you know, and only what you know, would you prosecute? I wouldn't.

I assume that there is information we haven't yet heard. Based only on what we know, he should walk.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    If some new, damning evidence hasn't been discovered by Angela Corey, I hope she is brought up on ethics charges, disbarred, fined, sent to prison, and sued by Zimmerman.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think it should be thrown out for his white half. His hispanic half should be prosecuted.

Based on what you know, and only what you know, would you prosecute? I wouldn't.

I assume that there is information we haven't yet heard. Based only on what we know, he should walk.

No, I wouldn't prosecute based on what we know.
    I'd love to see the crime scene investigation. Was it biased or not?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom