• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I hear on TV that movie theaters are tightening their security as a result of the shooting. Guess I won't get to see Batman or anything else until the furor dies down. I'll be dipped if I'll enter a theater or any similar situation unarmed anymore. If they don't notice my CC, okay; if they're talking about "pat-downs" - it won't happen.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I hear on TV that movie theaters are tightening their security as a result of the shooting. Guess I won't get to see Batman or anything else until the furor dies down. I'll be dipped if I'll enter a theater or any similar situation unarmed anymore. If they don't notice my CC, okay; if they're talking about "pat-downs" - it won't happen.
    On the Pat-down part...
    1.) Is the Wife there?!
    2.) And s the Girl patting me down, easy on the eyes?!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

I'm afraid there really will be copycats, just like there were school shootings for years after Columbine...

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

Especially since this guy didn't actually enter with his guns. If I read correctly he entered normally then left propping the exit door open and came back with his shotgun and rifle.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Read this elsewhere:

"Gut instinct - Something huge will happen elsewhere today and this story dominating all the news, will be the distraction that takes attention away from it. Other things are not being reported right now. What's going on outside of the shooting?"

Good point ^.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Ooh, oh yea, I forgot about that! That was my theory about antidepressants all along. As soon as they started prescribing them to teens, Columbine and dozens of other mass murders at schools. I want to find that out fo sho.

Its not necessarily a link (after all, disturbed individuals may seek treatment from antidepressants and just stop taking them when it doesn't treat their particular brand of crazy) but there is some compelling evidence that coming off of antidepressants, especially when the individual does it without Dr.'s orders/ on their own, its a bad idea. Neurochemically speaking, most antidepressants are SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors). When you stop taking them, you get a weird cocktail of neurochemicals that seems to lead to psychotic behavior in some cases.
    I'll be following this angle.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Its not necessarily a link (after all, disturbed individuals may seek treatment from antidepressants and just stop taking them when it doesn't treat their particular brand of crazy) but there is some compelling evidence that coming off of antidepressants, especially when the individual does it without Dr.'s orders/ on their own, its a bad idea. Neurochemically speaking, most antidepressants are SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors). When you stop taking them, you get a weird cocktail of neurochemicals that seems to lead to psychotic behavior in some cases.
    I'll be following this angle.

I've been on them, and they make dreams seem real, like in Nolan's other film, Inception.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How can she stand there next to him being interviewed... With him holding the baby he threw away to save himself...

I have a question...

After reading through many links to "witness" reports and descriptions of the event from them.

Am I the only person in the World who plans where I am going in accordance with avenues of approach, defensible points, fallback positions, routes of egress, etc, etc...

One word for you :sheep:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    One word for you :sheep:

I think it's pretty easy to generalize like that, and a generally bad idea to do it. For one thing, it's not easy to tell "sheeple" from "people" - kinda like figuring out which guy in black pajamas is a farmer and which one is a Viet Cong; or which particular farmer-looking guy carrying an AK is a farmer or a Taliban fighter.

For another thing, if you get in the habit of being contemptuous of anyone you feel is a "sheeple", that "sheeple" may turn around someday under the right stimulous and feed you your intestines.

Far far better, IMO, to treat everyone as a potential "wolf" until circumstances prove otherwise.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    On the Pat-down part...
    1.) Is the Wife there?!
    2.) And s the Girl patting me down, easy on the eyes?!

Typical man response.
    Reminds me of today. Had to get my TB test read today and a cute thing just rubbed her hand up and down the inside of my forearm to check for a reaction ... I'm sure she did it more than she needed to. I was smiling at her when she looked up and me. It was everything I could do to not offer her my other arm and say ... "next."

One of my favorite sayings (I made this one up).

"Men are dogs. Now you have good dogs and bad dogs, but you'd better keep all dogs on a short leash."

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I would much rather be a Wolf, than a Dog or a Sheep... :popcorn:

I consider myself more a "wolfhound" than a sheep or a wolf. I have a friend who once had a half-wolf, half german shepherd mix. She was always skittish and sometimes she wanted to be petted; sometimes she would bite and you could never tell which one she was going to do. Wolves are the same way in captivity; never quite "tame".

I prefer to think of myself as one who is willing to protect the sheep who can't protect themselves against "wolves".

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Having a flashlight is a good idea, regardless of where you go.

So, another case of sitting there and waiting to be shot? No one shot back? Sad day.
    This was my first thought also, a buddy said " well it was mostly younger people and a great many of them do not believe in guns", maybe this will change some minds. As for a old fart like me, I only hope to be able to get a shot off before I'm dead,

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Or, if you can reach out and touch the guy whose is slaughtering those around you, go for the clinch and drag him down for the pound.

The survivors are all over the media talking about how this guy simply walked about in the theatre with no one doing anything other than yelling and bleeding. Perhaps it is not their fault as they are conditioned by movies or television but even my nephews know what to do when someone is within arms reach with a firearm.

Three teenage boys from a nearby BJJ training hall could have stopped this. No guns needed.

While the gun nuts in us focus on the hardware, what is missing is the will to fight.

Again three teenage boys from the nearby BJJ training hall, or even a couple of high school football players, could have stopped this.

No one in the media is asking the obvious, why no fighting back? No bum rush? No grabbing his ankles? No blind side tackle?

One guy tried to block the door, one guy. The theatre was packed. This fight should have been within sexual range very quickly.

No one fought back. This should be very disturbing.

I've got to ask. Have you EVER actually used your training in an environment that wasn't almost completely controlled? Add in a gunman, CS (or even just a smoke filled room), and the chaos of people trying to escape...I'm guessing that if most of your training has been in a controlled environment and never been tested outside of that, you're going to freeze up or be thinking about escaping first. It is nice talk on the internet though.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'm half Labrador. If I were armed and this happened, I would have engaged once I found a safe firing position. But if I was unarmed, I'd only be thinking about the exits. I would not try and tackle an armed man.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'd like to think in such a situation I'd try to do something. Since, unless they strip me naked, I've generally got at least two knives I could use as cutting or stabbing weapons, I might try to lie doggo and see if I could take the gunman unawares. I'd probably try to do something to protect my wife first, if that were feasible. Kinda tough to distract multiple opponents, though.

Top Bottom