• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Here's my question. "Why" does this appear to a more frequent occurance in the US vs other first world nations? Do we have more wackos per capita? Is it ease of access to firearms? Is it a stupid populace?
    What is the best way to prevent this from happening so frequently?

My personal theory is because we - as a society - no longer teach respect and personal responsibility to our young. Schools, government, TV, and other media teach the young that 1: violence is prohibited; there is no "good violence" (e.g. self-defense); bullies are misunderstood and need to be reasoned with instead of having their butts kicked until they behave; no need to respect others - if you want a vacation from school, beat up your teacher - - that's what the schools teach.
    2. Government teaches them that no one is responsible for his lot in life; that no one should ever have to suffer the consequences of making bad decisions; that it's somebody else's responsibility to keep YOU safe; and that government - and no one else - is competent to look after you.
    3. TV and other media sell the concept that violence is cool and edgy, play up the notoriety of bad guys and downplay the consequences of committing violence on others, and point out all the little inequalities of life which must be blamed on someone.

Finally, our lives are becoming so regimented, so constricted, and so conflicted that some people just feel the need to strike out at SOMEONE. Since firearms are plentiful in this country - as opposed to other countries where civil war and revolutionary violence isn't endemic - it is simply more convenient to kill folks with a firearm than by other means.

Don't forget, we still kill more people in this country by the use of automotive transport than by shooting them. Also, don't forget that folks who really want to kill people still manage to accomplish it by other means.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm sure your training has made you more aware of your situation. I don't look for exits when I go to the movies. Only on a train, plane, boat, or bus do I do that. Guess that will have to change though.
    I look for exits and routes away from were I am constantly, wherever I am. I was this way before the Military....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Am I the only person in the World who plans where I am going in accordance with avenues of approach, defensible points, fallback positions, routes of egress, etc, etc...

A minority perhaps.

Or, is male and insists on sitting on the outside so you can do the grabbing rather than the baby-abandoning.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Now the sheeple are blaming it on video games, music, and movies. They are calling for censoring....

Nanny state here we come.

So, how do we as responsible gun owners help make the situation better?

There's at least 2 things going on here. There's the "gun grabber" crowd, whose ultimate and unchanged goal is to remove arms from the people to help usher in the new world order and secondly, there are the people who are just looking for answers and want the killing to stop. The first crowd is trying to sway, what I believe is the majority, to their side so as to accomplish their goal. All our arguments and proofs that armed communities have less crime do not matter. Many people who have no love of or use for guns see this as a no-brainer ...get rid of guns and this won't happen.

As supporters of gun rights, I think it would serve our cause to quit denigrating the majority of good people (my second class of people above) as it just further alienates them from us and our position. It makes us look small minded and mean. We've got to put our money where our sometimes BIG mouths are and support organizations who are in a position to change things and/or support our cause.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I would just run back the way I came, and if there was a shooter that way, I'd run the opposite way. :D

Movie theaters should probably start showing the exit routes on the big screen before the previews. Any place holding hundreds of people should do that. Like on a cruise ship, they explain the exit plans well, including the meanings of the alarms.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have a question...

After reading through many links to "witness" reports and descriptions of the event from them.

Am I the only person in the World who plans where I am going in accordance with avenues of approach, defensible points, fallback positions, routes of egress, etc, etc...

I'm aware of what's going on around me, know where the exits are and how I'm going to get there if I need to, and I generally pay attention to where and when I'm going somewhere.

Like anything else, if it's something you do all the time, you do it automatically. Since I've not been in places where I've gotten shot at alot, I don't plan to the same extent you obviously do.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I've been trying to follow this thread, but have been at work so its choppy at best. Has the anti-depressant argument been brought up yet? Many of the mass shootings over the last 15 years have been done by individuals coming off of anti depressants. I'm curious if he was recently taken off of them.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Be aware I also generally, have a plan to unleash total Chaos and another for unrestrained violence as well. Or any combination of the two that may or may not be needed... :dunno: :popcorn:
    Just so happens I have (for the last several years) organized chaos and blogged about it.
    I'll take notes...and help out if you need it.
    You know the saying;
    "The INGO Friends that shoot together have interlocking fields of fire."

:):

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I've been trying to follow this thread, but have been at work so its choppy at best. Has the anti-depressant argument been brought up yet? Many of the mass shootings over the last 15 years have been done by individuals coming off of anti depressants. I'm curious if he was recently taken off of them.

Ooh, oh yea, I forgot about that! That was my theory about antidepressants all along. As soon as they started prescribing them to teens, Columbine and dozens of other mass murders at schools. I want to find that out fo sho.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    ^^^^this^^^^
    Unless you are truly delusional, you cannot have a reasonable expectation of surviving an act like this. But unless you are truly delusional, how could you commit an act like this? :dunno:

I don't think it's that delusional, a lot of people survived the incident that weren't even trying to fight back.

Top Bottom