• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Man rule: Don't thank someone, shake their hand, and then get all butch later on the internet or call their boss to try to get them in trouble. If you weren't willing to address it there on the spot, let it go. Acting all friendly and cordial in person and then drawing in all of your internet friends who will act all butch with you? Negative, ghost rider. ***** move. If you thought his comments or language inappropriate, you should have manned up then and there, not here on the internet.
    I couldn't agree more!
    i took the ***** way out one time on a Obama issue because I was shocked and uncomfortable. I was wrong in doing so and it's one circumstance I've regretted ever since.

OP should have either been clear he wasn't pleased or just walked away. I didn't understand the handshake crap either.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    He is using the color of law to tell a citizen how to exercise a civil right.

Yeah, there's a policy against this, it is the Constitution.

Please understand I care not about rough language. I am not a delicate hothouse flower myself. What I care about is someone using his legitimate authority to tell a citizen how to exercise a right.

So, you and I are standing in line for coffee at the Speedway gas station. In front of us is a man with his wife and several young kids. The man is berating the woman. He is calling her a fat, worthless POS. He is telling her that women belong in the kitchen anyway and she's a stupid C-word. Would you call my supervisor if I said "hey buddy talking to your wife that way isn't cool." If an opinion about the way someone carries a gun is wrong, then so is an opinion about the way people exercise their 1st Amendment right. The officer in this thread wasn't ordering him to do anything or misinforming him about the law, he was offering his personal opinion. I generally don't offer unsolicited advice or lecture adults, but I'm not understanding the outrage in this thread. He doesn't need to use profane language, but maybe he was trying to be casual with the guy. I don't know for sure, but it's a possibility. The bottom line is, as others have said, if you weren't willing to disagree with him in person then you shouldn't call and complain later. Just a personal opinion, if that's okay.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Police cannot use their authority to harass the citizenry over exercising their constitutional rights.

If the police harass you about open carrying a gun, that is a civil rights violation.

If the police harass you about your wearing Muslim attire, that is a civil rights violation, and will bring out the INGO Indignation Brigade out faster than a .22lr.

If the police harass you about your right to free speech, let's say . . . . putting a bumper sticker on your vehicle, that is a civil rights violation.

Just like this: The Indiana Law Blog: Ind. Courts - "Woman Harassed for Bumper Sticker Fights Back "

Boy, does this sound familiar or what:

"The officer told Konchinsky that people would think she was impersonating a police officer and that someone might shoot her. After reviewing her license and registration, Konchinsky was ordered to get out of her car and remove the bumper sticker."

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The officer in this thread wasn't ordering him to do anything or misinforming him about the law, he was offering his personal opinion. I generally don't offer unsolicited advice or lecture adults, but I'm not understanding the outrage in this thread.

The officer in this thread was harassing a citizen for exercising his civil rights.

The citizen did not approach the officer and ask for his opinion. This was not a gun shop bull session where a stool monkey is offering his opinion on this caliber or that pistol. This is an agent of the state attempting to influence the free exercise of a citizen's civil rights.

I find that disconcerting.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Hey seeing how some of you think the LEO's actions were acceptable and fully in his rights of "offering free advice". Well now does this mean that I can start calling LEO's over from across the store and offering them free advice while cursing about their driving, use of turn signals and hair styles in front of others?

Wonder just how long that would be tolerated!!!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just tell the officer politely, "Than you for expressing your opinion. My opinion is that you only get one shot to make a first impression and sounding like a street thug when you speak to a citizen is not the way to make a good one. Good day officer."

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The officer in this thread was harassing a citizen for exercising his civil rights.

The citizen did not approach the officer and ask for his opinion. This was not a gun shop bull session where a stool monkey is offering his opinion on this caliber or that pistol. This is an agent of the state attempting to influence the free exercise of a citizen's civil rights.

i find it disconcerting that I am in what I believe is complete agreement with Kirk. :nailbite:

Just tell the officer politely, "Than you for expressing your opinion. My opinion is that you only get one shot to make a first impression and sounding like a street thug when you speak to a citizen is not the way to make a good one. Good day officer."
    Insert a few F bombs in there and that would be comedy gold.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    i find it disconcerting that I am in what I believe is complete agreement with Kirk. :nailbite:

The important thing is that you are always in disagreement with rhino.

Hey seeing how some of you think the LEO's actions were acceptable and fully in his rights of "offering free advice". Well now does this mean that I can start calling LEO's over from across the store and offering them free advice while cursing about their driving, use of turn signals and hair styles in front of others?

As long as you are not interfering with the exercise of their duties, yes.

You have a right to criticize the police.

The police have no right to criticize your rights.

Stopping the OP and asking for his Larry? Just fine.

Stopping the OP and criticizing his manner of carry, the gun, the holster, his taqiyah, his skin color, what is printed on his t-shirt? Not fine.

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

What I find disconcerting is the double talking , word twisting , jive ass lawyer speak attempting to turn this encounter into WAY MORE than it really was .

In your posts #'s 23 & 39 , you make it abundantly clear it was a " consensual encounter " , inferring the OP was free to leave at any time so where / how exactly does the " harassment " , aspect come into play ?

" This is an agent of the state attempting to influence " *** WTF ???? O'REALLY ?

The picture you paint says the brown shirted LEO ordered the OP at gun point to stand there in cuffs as he was told the ONLY acceptable , state mandated method of carry is this or that , which didn't happen .

What happened was the LEO gave the OP a threat assessment / safety briefing for the OP's AO ( area of operations ) .

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    how exactly does the " harassment " , aspect come into play ?

The police cannot impose their opinion on the citizenry for exercising their civil rights: The Indiana Law Blog: Ind. Courts - "Woman Harassed for Bumper Sticker Fights Back "

" This is an agent of the state attempting to influence " *** WTF ???? O'REALLY ?

The picture you paint says the brown shirted LEO ordered the OP at gun point to stand there in cuffs as he was told the ONLY acceptable , state mandated method of carry is this or that , which didn't happen .

Yes, really, just like the bumper sticker case that I cited.

It is not necessary for the OP or the plaintiff of the bumper sticker case to be under arrest.

What happened was the LEO gave the OP a threat assessment / safety briefing for the OP's AO ( area of operations ) .

That is likely the defense in the bumper sticker case as well.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The police cannot impose their opinion on the citizenry for exercising their civil rights:

Counselor , would you please point out where the " imposing of the opinion " happened ?

Yes, really, just like the bumper sticker case that I cited.
    You sure about that ?

" Konchinsky was ordered to get out of her car and remove the bumper sticker "
    My reading comprehension must suck because I failed to see where the OP was ordered to do anything .

It is not necessary for the OP or the plaintiff of the bumper sticker case to be under arrest.

Then the OP was free to leave if he wished ?

That is likely the defense in the bumper sticker case as well.

It is what it is or was , with no spin or slant on it .

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This classic clip came to mind of what some posters in this thread sound like when they chastise the OP for being overly sensitive.

[video=youtube;g2jAwiq6YsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jAwiq6YsE[/video]

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    This classic clip came to mind of what some posters in this thread sound like when they chastise the OP for being overly sensitive.

More of that when these delicate little flowers were growing up and this nation as a whole would be better off .

But noooo , let's put the OP on a pedestal with MLK and act like he's doing the civil rights movement a great service .

Hell Obummer got a peace prize doesn't the OP deserve some sort of trophy ?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Counselor , would you please point out where the " imposing of the opinion " happened ?

The officer is in uniform acting under color of law.

You sure about that ?

Yes.

My reading comprehension must suck because I failed to see where the OP was ordered to do anything .

Never said he was.

Then the OP was free to leave if he wished ?

Likely, but he never asked the critical question.

Top Bottom