• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

There have been some comments regarding how the OP originally acted during the interaction with the LEO. He was polite, courteous and even shook the mans hand.

What does this show? That the OP is polite and courteous, overall. It means nothing else.

What it indicates, to me, is that he was caught off guard and acted as a decent person using standard operating procedure. He was unsure of what was about to happen or was happening and was slightly off balance.

Haven't any of you had a situation where you thought something wasn't right but just couldn't put your finger immediately on it? Then, as time passes your clarity (or indignation) grows. I know I have.

A long time ago I thanked an officer for giving me a ticket. Why did I do that? Standard operating procedure for being polite. After thinking about it I was not happy about thanking someone for that but, ce la vie.

I agree with Kirk 100%. Once you put a work uniform on, LEO or other, you cannot operate as you would without it. You are representing not only yourself but your company as well. In the case of LEO's they are acting with tremendous power and authority behind them which can be quite intimidating to some. But beyond that it is still a uniform which means they aren't just speaking for themselves but their entire organization, which should muzzle personal opinions unless asked to provide such.

Regards,

Doug

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    To All,

There have been some comments regarding how the OP originally acted during the interaction with the LEO. He was polite, courteous and even shook the mans hand.

What does this show? That the OP is polite and courteous, overall. It means nothing else.

What it indicates, to me, is that he was caught off guard and acted as a decent person using standard operating procedure. He was unsure of what was about to happen or was happening and was slightly off balance.

Haven't any of you had a situation where you thought something wasn't right but just couldn't put your finger immediately on it? Then, as time passes your clarity (or indignation) grows. I know I have.

A long time ago I thanked an officer for giving me a ticket. Why did I do that? Standard operating procedure for being polite. After thinking about it I was not happy about thanking someone for that but, ce la vie.

I agree with Kirk 100%. Once you put a work uniform on, LEO or other, you cannot operate as you would without it. You are representing not only yourself but your company as well. In the case of LEO's they are acting with tremendous power and authority behind them which can be quite intimidating to some. But beyond that it is still a uniform which means they aren't just speaking for themselves but their entire organization, which should muzzle personal opinions unless asked to provide such.

Regards,

Doug

Agreed. The argument that civility and politeness negate his claim that the LEO was in the wrong is intellectually dishonest. I recently evicted a tenant. Both parties were polite and courteous and I even gave said tenant extra time (over and above what the court allowed) for finding a new home and vacating my property. Doing so doesn't mean the tenant wasn't in the wrong in the first place. It just means I'm not always an evil ***** and can, when the opportunity presents itself, be mindful of the plight of others even to the detriment of my own interests.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Agreed. The argument that civility and politeness negate his claim that the LEO was in the wrong is intellectually dishonest. I recently evicted a tenant. Both parties were polite and courteous and I even gave said tenant extra time (over and above what the court allowed) for finding a new home and vacating my property. Doing so doesn't mean the tenant wasn't in the wrong in the first place. It just means I'm not always an evil ***** and can, when the opportunity presents itself, be mindful of the plight of others even to the detriment of my own interests.

It's not about being polite and courteous. You can politely tell someone that he's out of line, that what he's doing is inappropriate, you can even politely ask him to call his supervisor and ask him to join you. I'm a huge advocate of common courtesy and being polite. Offering NO objection, thanking him, then going after him this way? ***** move.

i agree completely that the LEO was out of line, but I'll never agree with this kind of behavior. I don't like it when school girls do it, and hate it when men do it.

ETA: probably should have added... There is, IMHO, a correct way to deal with it if it just eats at you later and you think you need to address it. Call his supervisor and ask for an appointment to meet with the officer and his supervisor together, at the same time. But you deliver the complaint right there in front of him. Between the eyes, not in the back.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's not about being polite and courteous. You can politely tell someone that he's out of line, that what he's doing is inappropriate, you can even politely ask him to call his supervisor and ask him to join you. I'm a huge advocate of common courtesy and being polite. Offering NO objection, thanking him, then going after him this way? ***** move.

i agree completely that the LEO was out of line, but I'll never agree with this kind of behavior. I don't like it when school girls do it, and hate it when men do it.

ETA: probably should have added... There is, IMHO, a correct way to deal with it if it just eats at you later and you think you need to address it. Call his supervisor and ask for an appointment to meet with the officer and his supervisor together, at the same time. But you deliver the complaint right there in front of him. Between the eyes, not in the back.
    Except that maybe it was about being polite and courteous. It may also have been about showing the LEO how civilized people behave in public. It may have been about not escalating a situation in which OP doesn't have any advantage and lots of disadvantages.

When someone is in a position of authority over you and has the power to make life difficult for you, it doesn't always pay to confront directly.

The good news is you don't have to do things the way the OP did. You don't even have to agree with him. Beyond that, doesn't really matter what you or I or anybody else thinks.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Except that maybe it was about being polite and courteous. It may also have been about showing the LEO how civilized people behave in public. It may have been about not escalating a situation in which OP doesn't have any advantage and lots of disadvantages.

When someone is in a position of authority over you and has the power to make life difficult for you, it doesn't always pay to confront directly.

The good news is you don't have to do things the way the OP did. You don't even have to agree with him. Beyond that, doesn't really matter what you or I or anybody else thinks.

Um... MY response had nothing to do with the fact that he was polite. Maybe I just have unusually high expectations for a man's behavior. Maybe being a backstabbing school girl is the norm these days. Carry on with it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Um... MY response had nothing to do with the fact that he was polite.
    I didn't say it did. I simply made the observation that you are free to tell the officer to pound sand if that's what you think is necessary for a member of society to do if he finds the behavior of the officer objectionable.

Maybe I just have unusually high expectations for a man's behavior.
    I think you confuse polite behavior with something else.

Maybe being a backstabbing school girl is the norm these days. Carry on with it.
    As evidence by this.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    You really think he's gonna get fired for that? LOL!

No. Not if that his the only complaint in his file. There are a lot of young, educated, capable, men and women who would love to become a police officer and take his place. I know of a couple recent college grads with degrees in law enforcement that can't find jobs. That guy needs to work on his professionalism.

Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Open carrying probably doesn't scare off a bad guy. If he wants your gun, he's going to sneak up behind you, hit you over the head and take it. Now you've got no gun and he's pointing yours at you.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Open carrying probably doesn't scare off a bad guy. If he wants your gun, he's going to sneak up behind you, hit you over the head and take it. Now you've got no gun and he's pointing yours at you.

Happens daily I'm sure!

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    I didn't say it did. I simply made the observation that you are free to tell the officer to pound sand if that's what you think is necessary for a member of society to do if he finds the behavior of the officer objectionable.

I think you confuse polite behavior with something else.

As evidence by this.
    I believe what he means is that by OP showing politeness to the Officer in question after the exchange, he ultimately gave dominance over himself to the authority figure. And some cops who are on an ego trip feed off of that. And to than try and reassert your supposed righteousness you will go tattle to his boss in attempt to get him in trouble because you were too busy letting him reem you than to stick up for yourself. How I would answer is "I have broken no laws and would like to travel unmollested on my way. Am I being detained or am I free to go?" Unless I want to talk to the cop I keep it short sweet and to the point. Now correct me if I'm wrong ichokepeople, but I think what your getting at is the way you handle an altercation is not to get all butt hurt after the fact and go be a little tattle tale. I like to think respect earns respect. I am always the most courteous SOB around LEO's especially because the LEO's I run across are awesome people in general. I've met some d***s too but I realize that it's normally a high stress job and cops ultimately are people. I believe that OP should expect some Interaction with LEO's if he OC's regularlly. He should have his responses ready. I don't live near INdy but around where I live cops in my town and surrounding are normally easy going about OC. I don't OC. Not because I'm not comfortable, but because to me it defeats my purpose for carrying a firearm in the first place. I carry because I just plain don't want to be f****d with. I don't need to drawn unwanted attention to myself. I just want to live in a society where we don't have to worry about some guy who's high on benzodiazepines, one slice short of a loaf, walking into a public place and bringing call of duty to my front door. Or some guy trying to take my possessions for their next fix. I believe that the cop could have thought OP may have looked like an improper person to be OC'ing, maybe he saw that he was buying some gummy bears and a vitamin water and thought that OP was better off advertising "free gun" because he would probably not be able to retain his firearm in hand to hand combat. I wasn't there. I can only let my imagine run wild with ideas. But i dont have a dog in this fight just wanted to rant. You both are right because truth is perception. My:twocents:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

How many LEO's lose their weapon when they get hit over the head?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Maybe being a backstabbing school girl is the norm these days.

This country has been heading here for at least 20 years , where ya been ?

As evidence by THIS THREAD

Fixed it for ya .

Why can't folks get past who was saying it to see the intent or spirit in which it was said ?

Most folks here ***** everyday when a new article or video gets posted about LEO's overstepping what "we" think should've happened but now we have one who was trying to be a good guy and everybody hates him for it , makes NO firggin sense folks .

If you think the officer was trying to be a nazi you need to listen to the recording again , there was no malice in the man's voice or actions .

So many of you seem like scared little sheep and think you can't confront an officer just because they're in uniform and that's BS .

I'm not saying be a dick about it but I know from my own experience , if you're civil about it you can let them know you don't agree with what they said without fear of repercussion .

Or , could it be that most of you would rather not risk anything , instead choosing to ***** , disagree behind a keyboard ?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    This country has been heading here for at least 20 years , where ya been ?

Fixed it for ya .

Why can't folks get past who was saying it to see the intent or spirit in which it was said ?

Most folks here ***** everyday when a new article or video gets posted about LEO's overstepping what "we" think should've happened but now we have one who was trying to be a good guy and everybody hates him for it , makes NO firggin sense folks .

If you think the officer was trying to be a nazi you need to listen to the recording again , there was no malice in the man's voice or actions .

So many of you seem like scared little sheep and think you can't confront an officer just because they're in uniform and that's BS .

I'm not saying be a dick about it but I know from my own experience , if you're civil about it you can let them know you don't agree with what they said without fear of repercussion .

Or , could it be that most of you would rather not risk anything , instead choosing to ***** , disagree behind a keyboard ?

You seem to have some animosity towards us individuals that hide behind keyboards.

Top Bottom