• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We are upset about a cop giving an unsolicited, dogmatic, emphatic and controversial opinion. But we are all on INGO. Where unsolicited, dogmatic, emphatic and controversial opinions are the cornerstones we gladly build all of our debates on. :)

Absolutely nothing ironic at all about this.
    INGO isn't acting as an authority figure, as an agent of the state.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is a discussion forum, which is the place you're supposed to offer opinions and comments, and many times they are solicited. People come here to give and receive that.

It's not even remotely similar to what happened to the original poster.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    That's pretty much the way society works. I think you're smart enough to realize that not all advice is the same, or offered in the same spirit. Even your example of "be out of town before the sun sets" could be either a veiled threat of harm if the person doesn't comply, or a legitimate warning due to fear for that person's safety in case they weren't aware of the danger they faced if they stayed.

And the officer should, as with us all, be able to distinguish between "acceptable" and "non acceptable" venues, advice, style, and timing. In this case there is enough negative feedback from sufficient people to make it pretty clear that his advice was neither wanted or warranted, regardless of how HE felt about giving it.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I had a Miami officer tell me once that I was the wrong demographic to be located in the neighborhood while I was in a gas station and should turn around and walk out. Was I put off, a little. DId I call his supervisor and scream its my right… no. The next morning I woke to find a guy shot while being carjacked in that neighborhood. That Officer was trying to help even if his delivery was off. You can say whatever you want. And after you do that I am free to think and give my opinion. There isn't a nanny amendment yet to the constitution that the state must prevent hurt feelings. Racism and rough around the edges advice over a gun in plain sight are two different topics. But if thats the world you live in who am I to judge. I find your statement offensive and baiting. But thats my opinion. Should I find out where you work and complain to your supervisor or tell your mom not to bring the meatloaf down into the basement. No I should be a adult and realize you have your opinion and I have mine. That seems to be lost in society these days. You can do you and I can do me. The world would be far better if people did that.

As long as you finally understand that some advice giving is not acceptable then that is jake with me. Everything else is just coloring between the lines.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah I love how people who supported the police officers position started attacking ingo members who thought he was out of line and felt it should be reported to his supervisor. Bullying. Another cop behavior I despise. Some can't help it I guess

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have been reading through this thread since the beginning and I have not seen anything I would call bullying. Can you point me to what you are referring to?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And the officer should, as with us all, be able to distinguish between "acceptable" and "non acceptable" venues, advice, style, and timing. In this case there is enough negative feedback from sufficient people to make it pretty clear that his advice was neither wanted or warranted, regardless of how HE felt about giving it.

No argument here. Unless its an imminent threat, I don't try to offer advise to those who haven't asked for it. Now if the train is coming and you're jogging on the tracks, I'll probably say something. No train coming, I figure you'll figure it out or you won't. Either way it isn't my problem.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No argument here. Unless its an imminent threat, I don't try to offer advise to those who haven't asked for it. Now if the train is coming and you're jogging on the tracks, I'll probably say something. No train coming, I figure you'll figure it out or you won't. Either way it isn't my problem.

:+1:

I would appreciate very much having an officer make the move to take a minute to politely explain to me that I had wandered into a location where being [demographic], speaking English, wearing a T-shirt declaring 'Christ is King', or having blue eyes is inherently hazardous to my health and longevity as he cannot be everywhere simultaneously. I would not have a problem even with the subject matter at hand if it were initiating an informal conversation leading into 'you might want to consider...'. Using a formal opening to pontificating opinion under the color of the law, not so much. Swears are just a bonus annoyance in a context which calls for a more professional demeanor.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This.

I couldn't care less about the OC conversation. The officer didn't ask for a LTCH or try to imply the OP was doing anything illegal, he simply shared his opinion. Who cares?

The part I find repulsive is a grown man who can't wait to tattle on another grown man for saying a "bad word".

Pardon the "language", but that's kind of a namby-pamby little ***** move. Debate the carry issue with the officer or don't, but running to cry about the language when your real issue is with his expression of his carry opinion is cowardly.

This^^^^^^^^ 100%
    I am sick of all the little turds that take the holier than thou stance. Why not just put your big boy panties on, say ok to the LEO snd walk away. Rather than trying to exercise your rights and "opinion" after the fact when you lacked the intestinal fortitude to do it at the time? Is it really that important?
    I happen to think that CC is the way to go myself but for different reasons. It's worked well for me for a long time in a lot of different hostile places where it would have been a target indicator if I had been OC. Your life, your choice. I hope neither one of us finds out we were wrong.

Bob

It's nice to find someone who can see the bigger picture posting on this forum. The OP's childish whining is the only part of the incident I found irritating. The cop had his opinion and stated it (albeit unsolicited.) Frankly, what the cop told him is correct. But, regardless of one's stance related to OC, the creation of the post to whine was the only thing I found disappointing.

I believe it was all said here!?! Harden the "f()&" up! If you got your feelings hurt, don't cry on the web, take it to the department heads! If you want to OC, do so, but don't get bent when you are questioned, legally or not. You are within your rights, if you feel that it was an unwarranted intrusion, and he used bad language, by all means do something besides post about it! Why must there be an endless stream of butt hurt over someone who questions OC? If you want to OC, then do it, QUIT EFFIN posting when it doesn't go your way unless you have done your due diligence.

VUPD I didn't really read through every post but if this isn't name calling and attempts to question people's values or manhood and insult I don't know what is. Maybe bullying was too harsh of a word but I think I've made my point.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There are pros and cons to carrying a firearm. There are pros and cons to carrying open. There are pros and cons to carrying concealed. We probably can't even agree on that.

If I was a bad guy, and I saw an OC in my crime zone, I'd have to think a couple of thoughts....can I take out the OC by surprise and still pull my job off, or can I just walk out of here and come back when I don't see any guns?

Outta site, outta mind...does the bad guy ever think "I wonder how many concealed guns are in here?" before he walks in and does his crime? I don't think so.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I like this analogy better than the one up thread about stopping someone from stepping in a big pile of ****.

Top Bottom