• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    OP. Thanks for sharing this encounter. I think you handled it well. Please present the information to the supervisor and let him or her do their job and handle it. After all, that is why they make the big bucks. Maybe it will be a training opportunity. You will have done your part as a good citizen in our community. Supervisor s need to see how their employees perform in the field.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think wearing socks with sandals is pretty ridiculous, but I better keep that to myself. I also think turkey bacon is un-American, better save that one too.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I don't get all the butthurt here , after re reading the opening post and listening again to the recording I still don't get it .

The whole concept of the officer acting as an agent of the state (in this case ) is complete BS to me .

At NO time did he ( officer ) say IMPD says you have to carry this way or that , at NO time did he say the state of IN . says you have to carry this way or that .

The officer was clearly considering the OP's safety when he gave his advice , pointing out the criminal element in that area of town and he wasn't being a dick about it .

I'm assuming here , but I'd bet the officer had the rash of recent shootings in mind also .

Ok , he used a cuss word while interacting with an apparently overly sensitive individual . Which blows my ****in mind cause if the OP gets all butthurt over a word , what's going to happen to his delicate sensibilities when lead starts flying his way ?

Do we really want our officers to go 100 % " by the book " all the time ? I sure as hell don't , because of my past transgressions my record would be longer than one arrest and a few tickets .

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't get all the butthurt here , after re reading the opening post and listening again to the recording I still don't get it .

The whole concept of the officer acting as an agent of the state (in this case ) is complete BS to me .

At NO time did he ( officer ) say IMPD says you have to carry this way or that , at NO time did he say the state of IN . says you have to carry this way or that .

The officer was clearly considering the OP's safety when he gave his advice , pointing out the criminal element in that area of town and he wasn't being a dick about it .

I'm assuming here , but I'd bet the officer had the rash of recent shootings in mind also .

Ok , he used a cuss word while interacting with an apparently overly sensitive individual . Which blows my ****in mind cause if the OP gets all butthurt over a word , what's going to happen to his delicate sensibilities when lead starts flying his way ?

Do we really want our officers to go 100 % " by the book " all the time ? I sure as hell don't , because of my past transgressions my record would be longer than one arrest and a few tickets .
    Do I want them to go "by the book" all the time? No.

Do I want them to show me respect in any interaction I have with them? Yes. I do not think it is being overly sensitive to expect that from someone, especially if that someone is a public servant. Show me respect and you will get it in return.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Well, this is a molehill-turned-mountain (otherwise known as just another day on the Interwebz).

Just my two cents, but I do think the officer handled the situation in an unprofessional manner. I don't mind that he wanted to offer advice but he has to be aware that by wearing the uniform he is representing his department and the government in general. He lectured a citizen in public and used inappropriate language while doing so. I can understand why the OP did not appreciate that.

Is it a huge issue? Not really. In the OP's shoes I probably would have simply walked away and left it alone. I *might* have called in to talk with the supervisor, making it clear that I was not filing an official complaint but that he might want to discuss professionalism and courtesy with that officer. I can't see going any further with it because no real harm was done.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Man rule: Don't thank someone, shake their hand, and then get all butch later on the internet or call their boss to try to get them in trouble. If you weren't willing to address it there on the spot, let it go. Acting all friendly and cordial in person and then drawing in all of your internet friends who will act all butch with you? Negative, ghost rider. ***** move. If you thought his comments or language inappropriate, you should have manned up then and there, not here on the internet.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Man rule: Don't thank someone, shake their hand, and then get all butch later on the internet or call their boss to try to get them in trouble. If you weren't willing to address it there on the spot, let it go. Acting all friendly and cordial in person and then drawing in all of your internet friends who will act all butch with you? Negative, ghost rider. ***** move. If you thought his comments or language inappropriate, you should have manned up then and there, not here on the internet.

I disagree if one is in a rush or just simply doesn't feel like discussing it with the individual. Posting on the internet about it? I probably wouldn't do it. I would just voice my concerns with a supervisor.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

As the kids say, "Oh, SNAP!"

I disagree if one is in a rush or just simply doesn't feel like discussing it with the individual. Posting on the internet about it? I probably wouldn't do it. I would just voice my concerns with a supervisor.

The hand shaking and thanks yous suggest that there wasn't much of a rush.

On the other hand, people exhibit paradoxical behaviors when they are afraid, nervous, or intimidated. Some have a combination of those reactions when interacting with uniformed police officers (for a variety of reasons), so that could be a factor. It's like people who smile when they are afraid or nervous.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    As the kids say, "Oh, SNAP!"

The hand shaking and thanks yous suggest that there wasn't much of a rush.

On the other hand, people exhibit paradoxical behaviors when they are afraid, nervous, or intimidated. Some have a combination of those reactions when interacting with uniformed police officers (for a variety of reasons), so that could be a factor. It's like people who smile when they are afraid or nervous.

Depending on my mood that particular day I may do the same as the OP. Who knows. This wouldn't be an issue if the officer wasn't in uniform, or it wasn't known to the OP that he was an officer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Depending on my mood that particular day I may do the same as the OP. Who knows. This wouldn't be an issue if the officer wasn't in uniform, or it wasn't known to the OP that he was an officer.

If I have a choice, I do not routinely shake hands with people who irritate me. It seems like reinforcing bad behavior to me. I'm not going to train someone to keep irritating me by gracing them by allowing them to shake My Hand.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

As rhino already noted, neither the OP nor the video suggested that being in a rush was an issue. If so, it would have been more appropriate to interrupt the lecture at the point that it became clear that it was just a lecture and go on with his day. It would be very easy to say, "Excuse me, am I being detained, or just lectured? If I'm free to go, I'm in kind of a hurry..."

If I have a choice, I do not routinely shake hands with people who irritate me. It seems like reinforcing bad behavior to me. I'm not going to train someone to keep irritating me by gracing them by allowing them to shake My Hand.

And this ^^. And if you're going to thank them, it should have a definite TONE that conveys your level of gratitude for the unwelcome lecture.

Gotcha, thanks chief. Have a nice day. Or in this case, maybe "have a nice ******* day."

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend

Sometimes it happens that you say or do something that, on later reflection, you realize was not appropriate to the occasion. It happens to everyone, you can change your opinion about a situation, whether you overreacted or underreacted.

I second-guess myself all the time, doing it now in fact...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Sometimes it happens that you say or do something that, on later reflection, you realize was not appropriate to the occasion. It happens to everyone, you can change your opinion about a situation, whether you overreacted or underreacted.

I second-guess myself all the time, doing it now in fact...

Absolutely. But it's something you look in the mirror and own personally, not something you handle in the way that seems so popular these days.

Top Bottom