• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Great question Frank_N_Stein, thank you.

The IC again says:

IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

The date of manufacture is only 1 of 3 possible qualifiers if I read this correctly.

It is a muzzle loading cap and ball revolver, just like the one pictured earlier, but with a much longer barrel.

Interesting...

This means that if you have a Peacemaker, a S&W Model 3, or an 1875 Remington manufactured before 1899 that uses metallic cartridges you can carry it concealed without a license. All you'd need is a factory letter proving its year of manufacture.

Shucks...I have a Bisley but it was manufactured in 1901.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Everything is a compromise. His old cap-n-ball has the same number of shots as a modern revolver. As he mentioned earlier, reload times are about the same. A well placed shot from that .32 wouldn't be much different than a .38/9mm.

We are all "playing the odds", and balancing what is legal to carry, with what is comfortable to carry, and what will actually be needed. Not everyone can carry full "load out" all the time.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    And Jack R, I do would not mind a FRIENDLY 10 minute conversation with those elected officials, especially if it would save me weeks/months/years of legal troubles in the future.
    I don't mind "friendly conversation" and never been one to shy from a chance to blather on but I don't feel so friendly when I'm being ORDERED about and quized about "my papers" by some punk half my age who was whizzing in his diapers when I was carrying all manner of these weapons for self defense for real."

If he want's to chat I'll tell him anything I know about them, if he thinks he's giving me orders because his mommy took his diaper off and put a blue suit on him, he can learn it for himself, like I did, the hard way.
    Kind of off topic, But are you the same Jack Ryan from IPHC? I ain't been there in a bit, but if you are, I was Kurr over there too. Nice to run into ya again :) I always enjoyed reading your posts there.

I'm the same, Jack Ryan, every where I post but there may be other Jack Ryans I suppose. IPC? Indiana Pred. Central? Yeah, it's coming back. I think that's the name of a place I used to post a lot. I still stop in every once in a while. Enjoyed you posts as well. Those guys are top notch, my go to place for predator hunting info.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    NOBODY has ever said "here I'll prove it, let me walk down range and you...."

There's a lot of guys around here who like to use that logic when they are trying to convince their self a 6 shot 380 stuck in their sock is plenty good as a 45 on your hip.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Like some of the others have said, I also respect what you are trying to do.

All legalities aside, the modern world we find ourselves in is of high capacity handguns, not a C&R pistol. Even a .380 ACP pocket pistol with some nasty self defense rounds is light years ahead, easy to conceal and fast to draw in a 7 yard or less scenario. I can get off 5 rounds with the little bugger real fast.

What I mean is this: If the "equal force" concept is applied here and you are under threat by someone carrying almost anything more modern, you just may be swiss cheese before the charcoal catches fire. Also, it's been raining a lot lately and moisture could be a problem along with the higher humidity under a jacket, coat, etc. I'm not a muzzle loader guy and maybe things have improved.

More power to you trying to find old and respectable traditions that work in this modern age and you may even find it's your sovereign right (I don't know) but it's a jungle out their and a good knife fighter could give you a shave and a haircut and take your two bits before sparks get to flying.

Just sayin........;)

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    There's a lot of guys around here who like to use that logic when they are trying to convince their self a 6 shot 380 stuck in their sock is plenty good as a 45 on your hip.

And by the way, who says it's stuck in my sock ? It could be pointed at you from my hoodie pocket or loose in my belt which is much faster than any holster draw, if practiced.

I like larger calibers too but being able to flex with the changing seasons, social conditions, etc. is at least worth exploring a smaller caliber.

A .380 ACP is not a primary weapon, but with the right defensive load at close range, well, let's just say I would not want to be on the business end. :(

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    http://www.rucklaw.com/PDFs/ANTIQUEHANDGUNS.pdf

"Therefore, regardless of the handgun’s age, if it was designed to expel a projectile by means of an explosion, then it constitutes a firearm according to Indiana law."

I.E. it does not matter what makes it go boom, or what it launches, it is a firearm according to indiana case law.

To be frank, it probably bodes badly for you iffin you get the wrong LEO. I would love to see you make the challenge, but it likely won't be a cheap process.

I have been confronted several times with my cap and ball revolver once at the range and then in a parking lot of of a video store. The CO was at the range was checking licences and he did not bother asking me for mine. He went around me and to the next guy. After he was finished he came to me and was asking me questions about the revolver. He was very cool about it. We even made jokes about cowboys using them. The other time a state police officer saw the firearm holstered and wanted to know if it was blackpowder gun. I said yes it was and we talked for a few minutes and then he left. Finally the regs have been stated in this thread that firearms that do not use cartridges are exempt.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    And by the way, who says it's stuck in my sock ? It could be pointed at you from my hoodie pocket or loose in my belt which is much faster than any holster draw, if practiced.

I like larger calibers too but being able to flex with the changing seasons, social conditions, etc. is at least worth exploring a smaller caliber.

A .380 ACP is not a primary weapon, but with the right defensive load at close range, well, let's just say I would not want to be on the business end. :(

ROTFL, I knew there was one hiding in that bush.

Everything they've said about his 36, same to the 380 acp. Hilarious.

"It could be pointed at you from my hoodie pouch or loose in my belt which is much faster than any holster draw, if practiced.

I like larger calibers too but being able to flex with the changing seasons, social conditions, etc. is at least worth exploring a smaller caliber and there's no paper work on them any where. Ever. I can buy one through the US mail. The single shots can be loaded with any thing from ball and patch to buck shot, bullets or a double ball, essentially creating an unregistered one shot 10 gauge, 50 cal, 44 or 36 cal cannon that fits in a pocket or belt.

A 36 Navy is not a primary weapon, but with the right defensive load at close range, well, let's just say I would not want to be on the business end..":laugh:

You guys crack me up trying to justify what ever it happens to be that you bought last as the best there is for every situation. If you really had any confidence in yourself you wouldn't even care what some one else carries. LOL.

Last edited:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Playing the odds? I prefer to stack the deck.

Can you guarantee you won't have to fire a weapon to defend yourself?
    Can you guarantee 5 rounds will be enough?

I just don't understand why anyone would be willing to limit themselves trusting the odds.:twocents:

Living life is playing the odds. I usually carry a PK380 with Eight rounds of .380 ACP or one of my Rugers (SP101 or GP100), the SP holds five rounds of .357 and the GP holds six. With the shooting I've done with those three handguns, I feel I could adequately hold off an attacker, maybe two if I can keep somewhat calm. But that's playing the odds again, I could get mugged by two guys with XDs that each hold 19 rounds. I carry what I'm comfortable with and what I shoot well with. If the OP is comfortable carrying a handgun with only five rounds, he certainly isn't alone.

A side arm is only supposed to be used until you can get to a long gun anyway.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    ROTFL, I knew there was one hiding in that bush.

Everything they've said about his 36, same to the 380 acp. Hilarious.

"It could be pointed at you from my hoodie pouch or loose in my belt which is much faster than any holster draw, if practiced.

I like larger calibers too but being able to flex with the changing seasons, social conditions, etc. is at least worth exploring a smaller caliber and there's no paper work on them any where. Ever. I can buy one through the US mail. The single shots can be loaded with any thing from ball and patch to buck shot, bullets or a double ball, essentially creating an unregistered one shot 10 gauge, 50 cal, 44 or 36 cal cannon that fits in a pocket or belt.

A 36 Navy is not a primary weapon, but with the right defensive load at close range, well, let's just say I would not want to be on the business end..":laugh:

You guys crack me up trying to justify what ever it happens to be that you bought last as the best there is for every situation. If you really had any confidence in yourself you wouldn't even care what some one else carries. LOL.

You are over your "if" quota. That was 2. :D
    Jack what do carry?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You are over your "if" quota. That was 2. :D
    Jack what do carry?

You got me.:laugh:

I carry lots of stuff, what ever suits my humour mostly.

Listed in most recent order as far as my memory serves...

Super Blackhawk
    GSG 1911
    CS 45
    SW 66
    SW 629

then some mixing up of those in what ever order I can't remember but I was carrying my Ruger Old Army a lot back before deer season opened and during early deer archery...

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Living life is playing the odds.

I would like to play some poker with you. Let's use my deck. ;)

A side arm is only supposed to be used until you can get to a long gun anyway.

Sometimes that long gun is a couple of mags down the road. :D

Hey if he is comfortable with it, awesome I just though he wanted some input. To me I don't see the point in his protest, it is lost when he abides by the rules that allow him to carry black powder gun. If you really wanted to protest just carry any thing, any time, any way. When he gets home he steps ups to a modern .45 handgun. So that tells me he prefers it over the black powder for home defense. I guess this old crusty jarhead is missing something.:twocents:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    It is interesting that the predominant argument against what the OP is doing is that he is compromising his ability to defend himself with the weapon he has chosen to carry. I wonder if the people who have leveled this criticism realize that anyone who chooses to carry any handgun for self defense makes the same compromise. If a person is truly unwilling to limit carrying anything but the most effective firearm for self defense they would not be without a long gun. The desire to always have a firearm accessible in our culture requires that we carry low capacity, ballistically limited handguns.

To the OP,

I respect what you are doing. I, like most on INGO, took the easy way out and just got a LTCH. As someone did earlier I would like to recommend the 1858 Rem so you can carry with all six chambers loaded. Also, drawing a second gun is always faster than a reload. As true as this is with modern handguns it is especially true with cap and ball.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia

And then it is like playing the race card if you insult their carry. So people get politically correct and so things like "whatever makes them comfortable".

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    To me I don't see the point in his protest, it is lost when he abides by the rules that allow him to carry black powder gun. If you really wanted to protest just carry any thing, any time, any way.
    I agree with this...THAT would be protest

When he gets home he steps ups to a modern .45 handgun. So that tells me he prefers it over the black powder for home defense.
    I also found this quite telling. But then again, many of us would reach for a shotgun or a rifle at home should we have the time, should the situation arise. So why not use something more effective.:draw:

Top Bottom