• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I wouldn't go so far as to call Kurr's choice of weapon a lack of self-defense. Not one that I would be comfortable with utilizing, but if he has trained with it and trusts his life to it, good enough for me.

I did not mean to infer that he totally lacks self defense. But by not utilizing the best possible (and realistic) form of self defense (i.e using a pencil when a knife is available), then it is lacking. There are more modern, safer, and much more effective firearms to carry.

While Kurr sounds like an intelligent man and intends on staying away from anywhere that has more than 3 people present - that way he can control how many attackers since he will not be in a situation of more than 3. Somethings just fall outside your control. Also Kurr must study more situations and maybe take a class. The smoke and boom and buddies falling will NOT deter a person bent on taking something from you or worse killing you. This is the same school of thought as racking a shotgun to scare away home invaders.

Kurr, I do commend you on staying civil and within the law even though you disagree with with it.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Who says you can't (or don't) learn something new every day?

Not me.

I learn something new every day.
    (Quoted from this thread.)

Wow. I have an idea for you fellas;)

Following the letter of the law, a number of moneyed folks could begin moving guns like:

Colt 1898 Single Action Army, SAA 1st Gen, 45LC : Curios and Relics at GunBroker.com

pix696669501.jpg

Damn, that's sexy.:):

BTW, I also had to look up the term, "rube."

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Benny:

That is the best movie ever - is there a way you can put the entire movie as your avatar so I can watch as I surf INGO?

It's my #1 "take to a deserted island" movie, but the staff are a bunch of jerks and won't let me have a 700mb gif as an av or sig.:noway:

Do not to even know what Scutter had to edit out of your post...

nothing, its my sig line. it was qouted from another thread and it was creeping people out so i made it look like it was edited :D

I've been waiting for this.:rofl:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't see the need to "rock the boat." Indiana has among the most favorable, common-sense gun laws in the nation. Not getting a lifetime carry permit just seems to be looking for a fight. Perhaps a dose of maturity is in order.
    I don't feel the Op is looking to "rock the boat" necessarily, he's brought up an interesting topic that alot of posters had'nt thought about or were not aware of, even some LE. I think if the OP wants to carry that particular mode of defensive arm and it is legal to do so regardless of his reasons then I say more power to him and I certainly do'nt consider it being imature as you would suggest.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I second this...

The likelihood that the average LEO will be aware that sootburners are unregulated is pretty close to zero. Make sure you have copies of the pertinent laws on you at all times.

Well, it certainly is legal to carry such a handgun w/out a permit. :) And, I know several LEOs that have known this for years, but I'll admit they would likely be the exceptions. It sounds like he recognizes that he'll have some e'splainin' to do if he's ever detained and asked about it.

And, I think CarmelHP and Kirk are spot on, that it is absolutely a firearm. So, the SVF/Pointing a Firearm/Crim Reck/the federal felon-in-possession - all those things would still apply. Think of it like a very short long gun. :) You don't need a permit to carry those, either, but they are still firearms. (With the notable exception of a pistol-gripped shotgun, which is legally a handgun.)

My point was more... philosophical.

To carry the bp revolver is a compromise. It is accepting the limitation imposed by modern law, and utilizing an exception. Either side of the law - getting an LTCH or not getting an LTCH and using an exception - is a compromise. I'm a bit befuddled (with all respect) how carrying an inferior device is the better compromise. Don't get me wrong - I think it is a cool thing. Even a bit stylish. But, intellectually, I don't understand it.

An imperfect analogy. There is the natural right to free speech. But, we all accept that you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater. Now, let's say I think that's a bad law, so I go to the crowded theater and yell, "Heebeejeebee!"

I'm not breaking the law, but... is that really an effective use of free speech?

Again, I'm absolutely NOT against carrying very cool old weapons. In fact, I think it would help get the guy out of any speeding tickets, because an LEO will likely be VERY interested in the gun itself, and impressed. So, there is that bonus. But, if the stated reason is self defense, and there are better alternatives that require basically the same compromise.... just chalking it up as "to each his own."

(Please don't take offense, Kurr. Or anyone else.)

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    T.Lex No offense taken, I asked for all this, both good and bad.

The Hawdah Pistol!! LOVE them for their SBS-esque-ness. Wanted one of those for a loooong time also.

This is simply the first cap n ball I have had.

I would prefer, of course, a .44. Or the Lematt, 9 .44 shots and a single 20ga barrel underneath it. Nothing under powered about that.

LeMat Revolver, Pistols, Black Powder, Shooting : Cabela's

Unfortunately, "Money's Tight, Nothin is Free" So I'll wait till Friendship and look for a deal there.

If there is anything I have missed in the law I hope a LEO or other points it out to me. I have no willful intent to break any law.

I also am NOT looking to gain standing in court to challenge a law. I can not afford the things I want now, A lawyer and Lawsuit is absurd for me to consider, unless they work pro bono, lol.

And Jack R, I do would not mind a FRIENDLY 10 minute conversation with those elected officials, especially if it would save me weeks/months/years of legal troubles in the future.

Kind of off topic, But are you the same Jack Ryan from IPHC? I ain't been there in a bit, but if you are, I was Kurr over there too. Nice to run into ya again :) I always enjoyed reading your posts there.

I know a lot of people say my choice is unreliable(caps not go off, powder absorb air moisture etc), under powered (in .36), not accurate (as in the more modern "cover all shots with a half dollar/quarter" target pistol accurate) etc etc.

NOBODY has ever said "here I'll prove it, let me walk down range and you...."

I was infantry when I was younger, one of my dads is a 30 year LEO in florida where I spent about half my life. I am NOT new to firearms, or their usage, But would LOVE to take more classes/training.

Maybe I will get to be able to attend some meetups/traing/shoot groups from here. After July 1st (he he) I'll be tickled to bring my Kahr Auto Ordance .45. It does seem a little difficult to run modern drill/shooting whilest pouring powder down your sleeve. :)

For the question on schools, I reckon if the law says no FIREARMS on school property, that applies to me. If it simply says HANDGUNS, it does not.

Thanks for all the replies so, again keep em coming both good and bad, I'm soaking it up like a sponge.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm not a completely gun ignorant rube. I'm no expert on guns, but I know a little bit. I'm also not a hick, but thanks for assuming. Yes I had to look "rube" up.

I don't poke around in other people's holsters. I asked so that this obviously uneducated,parents were blood relatives, jack-booted thug, wouldn't ever violate the 2nd Amendment rights of someone carrying a black powder firearm.

Assuming? I didn't say "you," did I. Lord, those badges do make you lot an extraordinarily sensitive bunch. :)
    OPl8OxWl3AfskOLci7XShOoSmoAXyWaelRVzfb7Aicz6fLtGw3hbc3Vrk9z03ng8+gt375uP+5uxdQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Last edited:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    It has been my experiance that in MOST instances an armed target or the sight of a firearm is enough to discourage the BG's.

I would NOT pull an unloaded trying to RELY on that. Also playing the odds, I have never been attacked by even a solitary soul. What are the odds of a large group doing the same?

How many trimes in YOUR lives have you had to fire a weapon to defend yourself?

How many were there? Did you have to reload to continue the engagement?

Again my goal is not to be Mr B.A. Hero guy. My goal is to stop the threat and or disengage/remove myself/family.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    It has been my experiance that in MOST instances an armed target or the sight of a firearm is enough to discourage the BG's.

I would NOT pull an unloaded trying to RELY on that. Also playing the odds, I have never been attacked by even a solitary soul. What are the odds of a large group doing the same?

How many trimes in YOUR lives have you had to fire a weapon to defend yourself?

How many were there? Did you have to reload to continue the engagement?

Again my goal is not to be Mr B.A. Hero guy. My goal is to stop the threat and or disengage/remove myself/family.

Playing the odds? I prefer to stack the deck.

Can you guarantee you won't have to fire a weapon to defend yourself?
    Can you guarantee 5 rounds will be enough?

I just don't understand why anyone would be willing to limit themselves trusting the odds.:twocents:

Top Bottom