• ...and so much more!
  • DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I like Kurr's style. If this works for him, outstanding. It wouldnt be for me however since all my experience have been with modern firearms so therefore I am more comfortable using such, nothing wrong with his method though.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I like Kurr's style as well, but it's not for me either...Not to mention I already have that pink piece of paper, so carrying inferior firepower would be moot.

I definitely hope you never get confronted/harassed by a PO, but I have a 6 pack of beer and an extra large tin of popcorn just for that occasion...That thread will be GOOD. :):

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    My opinion on unlicensed carry: Even if I think one should be able to carry without a license, I think since the law says you can't, DON'T do it. It's just not worth it. Carrying a gun without the training is asking for trouble. Getting training for unarmed self defense is better than carrying a gun without proper training. Self-defense is as much a mindset as it is a set of tools, such as a firearm.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I second this...

The likelihood that the average LEO will be aware that sootburners are unregulated is pretty close to zero. Make sure you have copies of the pertinent laws on you at all times.
    I once had two IPD (before the "M") ask me if the firing pin had been removed from my Model 1763 Brown Bess flintlock. Without some investigation and research, the average LEO isn't going to know much about anything (s)he hasn't been trained with. Could go through a lot of grief before everyone started singing out of the OP's hymnal.

I think it's a novel idea to carry and older revolver, been thinking about getting a Colt Peacemaker myself. Probably wouldn't be my EDC choice, but then ...

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I definitely hope you never get confronted/harassed by a PO, but I have a 6 pack of beer and an extra large tin of popcorn just for that occasion...That thread will be GOOD. :):

THIS!!

Kurr's Profile-->Statistics-->Find all threads started by Kurr

Repeat as necessary.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I once had two IPD (before the "M") ask me if the firing pin had been removed from my Model 1763 Brown Bess flintlock. Without some investigation and research, the average LEO isn't going to know much about anything (s)he hasn't been trained with. Could go through a lot of grief before everyone started singing out of the OP's hymnal.

I think it's a novel idea to carry and older revolver, been thinking about getting a Colt Peacemaker myself. Probably wouldn't be my EDC choice, but then ...

Check out Cimarron's Thunderer revolvers with the birdshead grips. They are WAY cool as carry guns.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Carrying a gun without the training is asking for trouble. Getting training for unarmed self defense is better than carrying a gun without proper training.

I disagree. And I am certainly NOT looking to grapple with anyone, whether they are "merely" attempting to strong-arm me or if they have a bludgeon, knife, or firearm. Sometime in the future I do plan on formal comprehensive self defense and combat shooting training, but for now I sure do feel that the safety of myself and my family is better protected with a combination of situational awareness and a sidearm I am confident with than anything else.

I guess I get what you are trying to say....nobody should pick out a purdy shootin' iron from a random seller, fire it a few times at a pumpkin at the brother-in-laws trailer in the sticks, and then feel competent to tote it around 24/7.

Gun owners need to be familiar with safety practices, self defense laws, and their weapon before carrying, especially in public....is this the "training" you refer to? Training ones self to use good judgment and shoot accurately? Because I disagree that "lessons" are needed or required for a person to exercise 2A responsibly.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    How would reciprocity with other states work out, hypothetically, in my circumstance?

Any thoughts?

Since you don't have an LTCH, there would be no reciprocity. But other states might have the same non-law as Indiana. You could call it Silent Reciprocity.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I super quick check on Ohio (I was bored, and had a few minutes) - they don't seem to have the exclusion for old, black-powder firearms like Indiana does. No mention in KY, either.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Gun owners need to be familiar with safety practices, self defense laws, and their weapon before carrying, especially in public....is this the "training" you refer to? Training ones self to use good judgment and shoot accurately? Because I disagree that "lessons" are needed or required for a person to exercise 2A responsibly.

Agreed

Top Bottom