Would you tolerate an annoying ad on INGO for 3 weeks - Money goes to Toys for Tots

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you tolerate annoying footer ads for 3 weeks - Money goes to Toys for Tots

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    In shibumiseeker's defense (and everyone else who chooses to not support the site financially), I will say that INGO (and every other forum) takes two basic things to succeed-- members and money. Just remember that some people choose to support INGO through their posting, rather than through monetary donations. Others choose to help financially.

Both keep INGO afloat. :ingo:

respectfully i disagree:ingo:

ETA: and soon esrice i hope to be talking to you about future advertising.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    As mentioned these intrusive ads (no question about it) would appear at the bottom of each page and would be on INGO till the end of December. The proceeds would go to give kids Christmas presents through Toys for Tots.

You would have to click an X to make it go away.... It would be annoying... but would it really be that big of a deal to click it for 3 weeks if we could brighten some unfortunate kids day on Christmas :dunno:

But I hate ads you have to click to get to go away, and I probably would severely curtail my time here if the place started having them, and if they were a regular feature I would probably stop contributing. Just my pet peeve here.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Plus, if you run FireFox and Ad Blocker Plus they will never show up. I'm sure Chrome has similar add-ons and I know IE used to and probably still does.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'd also like to point out the fact that Fenway created this thread for the expressed purpose of getting opinions. Therefore it really doesn't make much sense to hammer anyone for providing one as long as they're not being a richard about it. :twocents:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    As mentioned these intrusive ads (no question about it) would appear at the bottom of each page and would be on INGO till the end of December. The proceeds would go to give kids Christmas presents through Toys for Tots.

You would have to click an X to make it go away.... It would be annoying... but would it really be that big of a deal to click it for 3 weeks if we could brighten some unfortunate kids day on Christmas :dunno:

also, anyone here who uses photobucket deals with this all of the time, and i haven't seen a thread about it. Who cares???????:dunno:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I'd also like to point out the fact that Fenway created this thread for the expressed purpose of getting opinions. Therefore it really doesn't make much sense to hammer anyone for providing one as long as they're not being a richard about it. :twocents:

I fully agree, but this in regards to children who may not have a Christmas!!!!!!!!!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You do not support this site, however you have over 3,000 posts?????
    Do you really think this site funds itself, wow man i use to enjoy your posts.:twocents:

I think that answers the question right there. If you "used" to enjoy my posts then my time and effort that I put in to try to make most of my posts constructive and hopefully entertaining is worth far more than the ten bucks or whatever it takes to become a site supporter. The fact that I do occasionally buy from the site advertisers means that I do support the site. If, because I expressed my opinion WHEN ASKED BY THE SITE OWNER, that makes you not care for my posting anymore, then why should I bother?

Again, you asked for opinions. That is mine. Clearly I'm in the minority here and clearly it irks at least one person that I gave that opinion, so I'm going to bow out of this discussion. It is indeed your site, and I am indeed only a guest here.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I think that answers the question right there. If you "used" to enjoy my posts then my time and effort that I put in to try to make most of my posts constructive and hopefully entertaining is worth far more than the ten bucks or whatever it takes to become a site supporter. The fact that I do occasionally buy from the site advertisers means that I do support the site. If, because I expressed my opinion WHEN ASKED BY THE SITE OWNER, that makes you not care for my posting anymore, then why should I bother?

Again, you asked for opinions. That is mine. Clearly I'm in the minority here and clearly it irks at least one person that I gave that opinion, so I'm going to bow out of this discussion. It is indeed your site, and I am indeed only a guest here.

Please remember this thread only benefits children in need.....you do not have to care, but please support the cause.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I am new here but I would have no problem dealing with it for only 3 weeks for the benefit of needy children that would have nothing without the help of generous people like us.:)

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Please remember this thread only benefits children in need.....you do not have to care, but please support the cause.

I'm not posting my opinion about the ads. You all can just wonder.

But Loony, I understand where you are coming from, but how do you know that Shibumiseeker isn't donating to charitable causes in other ways? Just because he doesn't necessarily like the idea of this specific action does not mean he wants all children to go without Christmas.

Remember, Christmas is about love and caring and sharing, for ALL people, that includes fellow gun owners who agree with you and those that don't.

It also includes people who have more money than they know what to do with, and it includes people who don't know where there next meal is coming from.

Yes we all feel good about ourselves when we are giving toys to children or food to hungry people. And these are great causes. But don't forget to share the spirit with people who it isn't as easy to love. (by this I do NOT mean anyone specific on this board, who has posted anything, I completely respect all opinions that are posted!!!)

That's all. Just wanted to share that. :D

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    How about you take donations from ingo members to not have the add pop up for three weeks and if we can match the amount paid by the advertisers, you say no to the adde and take our donations for toys for tots?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    100x yes Fenway.:yesway:

I'm curious about why the other 11 members voted "no."

BTW, would it be possible to block certain member's sig lines and not their posts?

(This would be beneficial to all, since many people have complained about by uber-awesome Jesus Quintana .gif.)

I find AntieBellum's super-large, super-obnoxious sig line MUCH, MUCH more annoying than any ad I can x out of...Not to mention the ad you are proposing is going for a great cause.

:twocents:

I feel really sad for the members here that you have to ask this question to.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Fenway,

Toys for Tots is a great organization, I've helped them in several of their toy drives over the years so no I wouldn't mind at all.

I would prefer that once the add is clicked closed it stays closed, as it'd probably get more than a little annoying if I had to continually click it closed, but I wouldn't mind the add itself at all.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Yes, go for it from this household too.
    Fenway, Just want to thank you for putting this out for discussion and with the poll.
    Your site and you could have just said I'm going to do this and why. Then told everyone to deal with it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom