• Worst Gun Manufacturer

• Total voters

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    This is why I voted Kel-Tec. It's complete BS that guns like the PMR30 and SUB2K are being sold for $550-$600 when their MSRP is just over $400. I desire both, but refuse to pay that kind of money. Bastards!

I curious why you are holding this against Kel-Tec? They aren't the ones selling them at those prices. I had some priced by a dealer and they were normal prices but horribly backordered. Dealers and owners are the ones selling them at ridiculous prices. Supply and demand... Can't hold that against Kel-Tec. They are just making a product that everyone wants. What's wrong with that?

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Jimenez! Wife was given one from her dad, needless to say, it's in it's box still. She put one magazine through it and it FTL three times and FTF once. I brought it back home, cleaned it and boxed it back up to gather dust.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Just to throw a little variety into the conversation: I know Remington has a great reputation as a manufacturer of quality firearms, but since I have no personal experience with a jimenez or the like, I'll say the worst firearm I've ever owned was a Remington Viper. As a teenager, for whatever reason, I was enamored with this thing. Finally, dad went and got me one for my birthday. I tried to feed that thing every kind of 22lr ammo I could find: Federal GMM, CCI, Winchester, etc. etc. The only thing that would feed with any semblance of reliability was Remington ammo (conspiracy?), and it didn't like that very much. Wasn't very accurate either. Finally traded it in on a 10/22, and Remington must have seen the light too, because they stopped making them and came out with the 597. I also own a 700 ADL of recent manufacture that for various reasons I really feel fails to live up to the fine reputation of the 700. This is hearsay, but I've also heard the new R51 pistol wasn't exactly a gem either.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    batmanrobin2.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How do you define worst gun company? Is it the most likely to get you killed if you try to use it for self defense? Or, is it the company misses the expectations by the largest margin? If the former, then I'd offer Jennings as the worst. But, if it's the latter, then either Colt or Glock would be my nominees. Colt because they know how to build a great pistol, and often do, but too many people have gotten guns that have cost them enough to expect a damn nice 1911, yet received something of mediocre quality at best. Some of the biggest disappointments come with a Colt logo. It kills me because they know how to build a great gun, but choose to do otherwise.

Glock is nominated because they tout perfection. They are great guns and are some of the most reliable out there, but they set the bar impossibly high with the 'Glock Perfection' claim. Anything that claims perfection will be a huge disappointment when its revealed that they are just good, not perfect. That's my list for 2014 :)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    'Necro-posting' IS allowed for new members, that's an 'old' rule I just made up... :laugh:

Hi-Points are big, heavy, and ugly. No doubt. But everyone I know that has actually owns one appears to stand by the 'cheap but usable' view. If it goes 'bang' every time the trigger's pulled, and the owner does their part (ammo selection, not limp-wristing, etc.), it really doesn't qualify as a 'bad' gun just because it's big, heavy, or 'ugly'.

Personally, I'd rather that 'Single Mom' have a Hi-Point that's she's run through the 'gauntlet' (500 - 1000 rounds with no problems, etc.) in her nightstand than no gun because she can't afford an $8000 Wilson Combat, or a $1000 Sig or some stupid stun gun or can of pepper spray.

JMO. YMMV.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    'Necro-posting' IS allowed for new members, that's an 'old' rule I just made up... :laugh:

Hi-Points are big, heavy, and ugly. No doubt. But everyone I know that has actually owns one appears to stand by the 'cheap but usable' view. If it goes 'bang' every time the trigger's pulled, and the owner does their part (ammo selection, not limp-wristing, etc.), it really doesn't qualify as a 'bad' gun just because it's big, heavy, or 'ugly'.

Personally, I'd rather that 'Single Mom' have a Hi-Point that's she's run through the 'gauntlet' (500 - 1000 rounds with no problems, etc.) in her nightstand than no gun because she can't afford an $8000 Wilson Combat, or a $1000 Sig or some stupid stun gun or can of pepper spray.

JMO. YMMV.
    agreed 100%! I dont own, and probably wont own a Hi-point, but my dad got a killer deal in the 90's for a hi-point 9mm carbine and that thing was surprisingly nice. By nice I dont mean fit/finish/awful plastic stock and chinsy safety lever, but it shot well, fired every time, and was surprisingly accurate! He traded it on a deal some years back, I wish he still had it.
    My vote goes to Phoenix for crappiest gun. Shot a little 22 a couple yrs ago and everytime you shot it the safety would flip on. it had very few rds through it and something in the safety I suppose broke? The build quality was on par with happy meal toys.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I voted for Taurus. Even though their semi-autos are pretty good the quality control on their revolvers is terrible. I've seen way too many that have bad cylinder timing, some to the point that I don't know how a bullet could get past the forcing cone without having a hunk shaved off. A good number of them should have never left the factory.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    i hear alot of taurus bashing, ive shot many taurus revolvers and pistols, i have seen very little problums, for the money i think taurus makes a good gun,
    I had a 4" blue Taurus 66 in .357 mag 20 years ago. It was a great gun. It could do 6" groups at 100 yds off bags with iron sights. It had good lock-up and was tight. I don't know what happened in the intervening years but I definitely wouldn't buy a Taurus revolver that I couldn't lay my hands on first. None from any internet marketers for sure.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Hi-Point - Ugly, heavy but excellent pistols and carbines.
    Phoenix - HP22A, excellent 22lr pistol. No failures and very accurate.
    Taurus - Hit and miss. Mostly miss.
    Kel-Tec -Junk
    High Standard - Older ones are excellent accurate shooters.
    Diamondback - Never owned one, no opinion.

Top Bottom