• Worst Gun Manufacturer

• Total voters

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Hi Point has one very, very redeeming reason to exist: their carbine. Its absolutely fantastic for what it is at that price point. A different stock (and a standard trigger), and its a $500 gun with any other name on the side of it.

Hell, if it came out looking that way from Glock or Ruger, the intricate curves and nuances of its ergonomically designed "polymer" stock would be praised as high innovation.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Hi Point has one very, very redeeming reason to exist: their carbine. Its absolutely fantastic for what it is at that price point. A different stock (and a standard trigger), and its a $500 gun with any other name on the side of it.

Hell, if it came out looking that way from Glock or Ruger, the intricate curves and nuances of its ergonomically designed "polymer" stock would be praised as high innovation.

You're talking the 995 right?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I own a Hi-Point, a Jimenez and a Kel Tec, all of them have functioned perfectly every time I've pulled the trigger.

Can't say the same for my Browning...

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    OTHER!!!

So, my grandmother had a .22lr revolver. It cost $49.50 back in the day. I'll have to get grab it out of the closet to get the name of it. Anyway, worst design ever. It has a plastic firing pin, the cylinder is held in place by a bolt that is a fraction of a centimeter away from the barrel, so if you do go shoot it...burns....oh the burns....assuming of course the firing pin actually hits hard enough to cause the round to fire.

OK, MFG is RG Industries Inc.

(I don't even know what to do with the thing....)

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    High Standard Houston had start up problems which took them a few years to correct, but they have corrected them and make a high quality pistol now at least in the .22 target line. If anyone has a Houston pistol with a problem, send it back and they will fix and upgrade free. I know, I sent a Victor back because of feeding problems, and got it back with an upgraded stainless frame and a new rear sight. It shoots as good or better than both my S&W 41s.
    A few years? I personally know of several Houston High Standards that had problems. They were purchased in the 21st century. I'm glad that you are happy with yours.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Having had a serious interest in firearms since the late 70s, I have owned or fired some type of weapon produced by most all major manufacturers. Being poor and trading often, brings exposure to many poorly designed weapons.I understand the quality,(or lack thereof) of these firearms listed...HOWEVER....I am glad that there are still inexpensive guns manufactured in the U.S. (PS,I would like to spend some time with a Korth,if anyone has one.)

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    Although the junk Jiminez/Raven/Bryco guns are decidedly worse than Taurus, I had to vote for Taurus. Why? Because at least with the pot metal junk guns, you should know better than to buy one. Taurus actually pretends to compete with legitimate brands (S&W, Glock, Springfield) and fails miserably.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were priced according to their actual quality. But in most cases, for about $50 - $150 more, you can have an actual well respected, high quality firearm. In most cases, you can get a used high quality firearm for the same or less than a new Taurus. There really is no reason for Taurus to exist.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've had three (3) Taurus's...all of which had to be repaired at least once. I had an 850 in .38+P....that had to be repaired 3 times...and the cylinder would still lock up after the first shot was fired (it never did it with snap-caps). I finally traded it back in and the individual who purchased it sent it in and they sent her a new gun!

Every Taurus owner I know has had to send their gun in for repairs after they brought it home! One friend finally shot my Ruger Revolvers and, within 30 days, had sold her Taurus's and replaced them with Ruger's...with which she has had ZERO (0) malfunctions or any other issues since then! She's a HUGE advocate of 'you get what you pay for'!!!

Taurus's are extremely disappointing...and unreliable...to say the least!

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Howcome?

I consistantly read about 50% return rates on Taurus products.
    I read their cs is awful to barely acceptable.
    I know one gun shop near me, that refuses to stock them and hates
    to order one for a customer.
    How can they continue to develope new products, and stay in business?
    I must be missing something here, or they must have really improved their products lately and are suffering from past years of sub-standard efforts.
    I know all guns have some problems, but Taurus REALLY gets hammered.

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    High Standard doesn't deserve to be in such bad company. They are some of the best .22 target pistols ever made.

I got some of the most accurate and dependable High Standard HD Military's that will kick the pants off any new computer generated junk out there. Hand machined, hand fitted and assembled the old high standards are a true work of art. An integral suppressed HD Military will draw more attention at a gun show then a chrome desert eagle any day.

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    RG made a blow apart ,pot metal,piece of crap revolver. Had one gave to me to see if I could fix. Hammer strut failure and absolutely no spare parts from anyone. Actually made a new strut and reassembled the wonderment of uselessness. Was too chicken to actually hold it in my hand when test firing it so I duck taped to a tree. It didn't blow apart but I think the duck tape helped.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Of the 4 people I know who own Taurus's, not including me and the one I own, only one of them has had any sort of issue that required contacting CS. That was a lost grip screw on a PT1911. I EDC a Taurus 745, and have for several years, and thousands of rounds. That gun gets filthy dirty on a daily basis, has been soaking wet, and still eats any brand of ammo I put through it. One friend of mine has three judges, a PT1911, and a PT92, and has hundreds, if not thousands of rounds through all of them, without a single failure. The PT92 in particular, is a sweet shooting weapon. I know of at least 14 Tauruses that aren't junk, must've sold all the good ones in southern IN.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    Ruger, al others listed don't try to sell themselves as quality that they aren't.

Is this an old Ruger grudge, or have you had to return something?
    Other than the sr 9 and lcr I don't know of any recalls since the single six.
    Ruger also has a history of having the man bearings to do a recall, and fix
    the product free, instead of letting them trickle in and charge appendages for
    the privilege of having your gun worked on.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    lol

At least you can light these on fire and throw them ..yo can only throw keltecs
    You mean like these?

gin11.jpg

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Worst are Colt, Steyr, HK, FN, Baret, Weatherby, Merkel, Ceaser Gurieni, and other firearm manufacturs that make such desirable firearms and then price them beyond what an average family man can afford! (Yes for all you pricky pricks, I am sure that I have a spelling error or two in this post.)

Top Bottom