• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Unless I'm mistaken this crowd doesn't seem to be asking for unity. To me it shows a bunch of (presumed) anglo saxon - whites - asserting their belief that black lives matter.

That's not the same as calling for unity among ALL races nor condemning the shooting of police officers out of retribution for perceived injustice(s) against blacks.

Show me the pic of a crowd of mostly black americans marching in support of law enforcement - perhaps then I'll be more inclined to consider your premise.

"Presumed?" Lol. You accused the movement of having a racist mentality, did you not? These "presumably" white people "appear," to be supporting BLM. How does that reconcile with your belief.... as if true, these people are supporting themselves as holding an inferior status.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    "Presumed?" Lol. You accused the movement of having a racist mentality, did you not? These "presumably" white people "appear," to be supporting BLM. How does that reconcile with your belief.... as if true, these people are supporting themselves as holding an inferior status.

I have no dog in the blm discussion, but I find it fairly common among middle and upper class white 20-30 year olds to engage in and endorse belief systems in which they hold an inferior status.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have no dog in the blm discussion, but I find it fairly common among middle and upper class white 20-30 year olds to engage in and endorse belief systems in which they hold an inferior status.

Seriously? Odd....but you would know better than I since I can speak from that perspective. But just so I'm getting this straight, you're saying that younger white people will support beliefs in which they are inferior to other races???

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seriously? Odd....but you would know better than I since I can speak from that perspective. But just so I'm getting this straight, you're saying that younger white people will support beliefs in which they are inferior to other races???

Oh yeah. From "white guilt" to pretending to be other races because being white is lame and boring, while being (whatevs) is exotic and/or cool. When I was a kid, before being "green" was cool, there was a lot of 1/256th Native Americans who really cared about the environment, and you know, nature...man. They didn't rape the land like whitey.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Lol, no, I'm actually not

Kut (knows sometimes it's hard to tell the difference)

I really do not know if I am being trolled on this or not.

I keep typing and erasing responses because I cannot believe you are not just messing with me.

I cannot for the life of me figure how you could have missed knowing about white guilt on college campuses and this phenomena.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I really do not know if I am being trolled on this or not.

I keep typing and erasing responses because I cannot believe you are not just messing with me.

I cannot for the life of me figure how you could have missed knowing about white guilt on college campuses and this phenomena.

OMG bro, I'm not messing with you. I get white guilt, and as I understand it, it's not a feeling of inferiority as so much as it is a feeling of shame or guilt. Is that not right?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Somebody get the vendors address. I want to thank them for standing up to a racist organization like BLM.

You totally have to try harder than that. Anyways, pull out your stationary (Turner and Sons):
    10647 Smithville Highway, Smithville, TN 37166

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The issue is not that Black lives matter or do not matter. No one who is taken seriously would claim that they don't. The problem I see is that when you then say that _____ lives matter, and the blank is filled with any group that has not traditionally been a minority (read: any group the media doesn't champion,) you are labeled a racist/bigot/whatever. This to me is the core of the problem. It's not that Black lives do or don't matter, it's the subtext that "Black Lives Matter (more than anyone else)" or, from the other side, the idea that they matter less than anyone else's. It's ideas like that that divide us as a people and allow rancor and ugliness to fester and flourish. That's my primary objection to specifying any one groups lives as mattering, is that it if you're identifying that one does, it seems to me that you're implying that either others don't, or if they do, not as much.

In 1919, just before he died, former Pres. Theodore Roosevelt wrote a letter in which he said of immigrants, "In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all...." Obviously, we're not speaking of immigrants here, but Roosevelt said of them that they should "be treated on an exact equality with everyone else", and I can't see how that should not apply to Black people, White people, Asian people, Native American people or any other _________ people who are here legally.

All lives matter. Why is this so hard for anyone to not only get behind but to accept?

Blessings,
    Bill

ETA: I began writing this about post #140. It would have taken far less time... but I was called away from the computer, then fell asleep before I came back to it. Sorry for any confusion.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The issue is not that Black lives matter or do not matter. No one who is taken seriously would claim that they don't. The problem I see is that when you then say that _____ lives matter, and the blank is filled with any group that has not traditionally been a minority (read: any group the media doesn't champion,) you are labeled a racist/bigot/whatever. This to me is the core of the problem. It's not that Black lives do or don't matter, it's the subtext that "Black Lives Matter (more than anyone else)" or, from the other side, the idea that they matter less than anyone else's. It's ideas like that that divide us as a people and allow rancor and ugliness to fester and flourish. That's my primary objection to specifying any one groups lives as mattering, is that it if you're identifying that one does, it seems to me that you're implying that either others don't, or if they do, not as much.

In 1919, just before he died, former Pres. Theodore Roosevelt wrote a letter in which he said of immigrants, "In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all...." Obviously, we're not speaking of immigrants here, but Roosevelt said of them that they should "be treated on an exact equality with everyone else", and I can't see how that should not apply to Black people, White people, Asian people, Native American people or any other _________ people who are here legally.

All lives matter. Why is this so hard for anyone to not only get behind but to accept?

Blessings,
    Bill

ETA: I began writing this about post #140. It would have taken far less time... but I was called away from the computer, then fell asleep before I came back to it. Sorry for any confusion.

I don't believe this is what is going on and is the problem. When BLM began, it was immediately labeled a hate group. History has shown us this is always the case when a group of people with a minority status refuses to continue being treated unfairly and ban together or speak out. The retort wasn't, yes, Black lives matter, but "All lives matter!" Do you believe this to be a supportive ststement or one made with an attempt quash the former?

For those who have friends who are Black or use social media and connected to Black acquaintances, I will stretch and say that you have seen and have always seen positive reactions and support for police officers during times like these. Now, as a Black man who has White friend's and associates, I can say, very few have made positive comments or even questioned police activities when a Black man is killed by police. Just two days before Dallas, two were killed and the only place I read anything from White men is on here most of the input was, "Wait for the evidence" or "What happened before the video started?" Even when there was no police record; bad FBpictures; legal carry, etc. So, yes, we all know that all lives matter, but the perception is, all lives do not matter to all.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

13726555_827749607327167_6564313995308836623_n.jpg

Yep.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't believe this is what is going on and is the problem. When BLM began, it was immediately labeled a hate group. History has shown us this is always the case when a group of people with a minority status refuses to continue being treated unfairly and ban together or speak out. The retort wasn't, yes, Black lives matter, but "All lives matter!" Do you believe this to be a supportive ststement or one made with an attempt quash the former?

For those who have friends who are Black or use social media and connected to Black acquaintances, I will stretch and say that you have seen and have always seen positive reactions and support for police officers during times like these. Now, as a Black man who has White friend's and associates, I can say, very few have made positive comments or even questioned police activities when a Black man is killed by police. Just two days before Dallas, two were killed and the only place I read anything from White men is on here most of the input was, "Wait for the evidence" or "What happened before the video started?" Even when there was no police record; bad FBpictures; legal carry, etc. So, yes, we all know that all lives matter, but the perception is, all lives do not matter to all.
    Are you saying that the reaction to people of other races being killed by the police is or would be different?

Do people of other races that are killed by police get talked about any where near as much as a black man?

Does the media often portray a death in these circumstances as other than it really was?

Why would you have an issue with anyone wanting to wait until all the evidence is out before making a judgement on an event?

It isn't like people are condemning anyone because they are a certain color. I for one will not rush to judgement on anyone, but especially someone being tried by the media with little to no details of what happened. If in the end the facts support a conclusion of a bad shoot, you won't see me making excuses for or defending the officers in the case. Any more than you will see me condemning the shoot if the facts support it being a good shoot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom