Will you shop at a gun shop that requires you to disarm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are you willing to patronize gun shops that require you to unload your firearm?

• Total voters

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    It may be an insurance issue. Sometimes liability insurance comes with requirements, and if you're a small business you have no negotiating power. That may be why some put up signs but don't attempt to enforce them.

+1 :yesway:

I know insurance co's and liability issues can be a royal pain in the --- for any business and I imagine it's only worse for gun shops. When a GS posts such signs, then I'd also venture to say it's not because they want to but because their ins co. says so.

I just had our insurance inspector come through my shop and you are right, you have no power. They tell you what to do and you do it.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I dont agree in the principle, I can see the reasoning behind putting up the signs. Remember that not all of the customers are responsible, safe, honest gunowners. I have seen atrocious gun handling while visiting shops and shows. Last thing any gun shop owner needs is a AD because some schmuck wanted to try out holsters or rail lights with his carry gun. I see the signs as tools to be used by management when necessary, otherwise ignored.:dunno:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I would like to hear a response from the guys from Bradis who are on here a lot as well as Beechgrove as I have seen the no loaded firearms signs at both of these places. In fact most small gun shops I have been in have these signs from what I remember

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    While I dont agree in the principle, I can see the reasoning behind putting up the signs. Remember that not all of the customers are responsible, safe, honest gunowners. I have seen atrocious gun handling while visiting shops and shows. Last thing any gun shop owner needs is a AD because some schmuck wanted to try out holsters or rail lights with his carry gun. I see the signs as tools to be used by management when necessary, otherwise ignored.:dunno:

This is what I was thinking also.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    When I first got my gun I took it down the street to Dons on 38th and when I was leaving the store after shooting on the range when a worker said "Hey man what do you think you're doing? Didnt you see the sign on the door?" because I was ocing with a mag in my gun. I told him the mag was empty and even took the time to show him. He kept giving me attitude because I had the mag in. So I asked him well how would you know if I had an empty revolver or not since they dont have mags? He got quite and I will never go there again not just because of that but also because of how insanely over priced everything is.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If the shop truly makes you disarm, no. If the shop has the sign on the door and doesn't enforce it, yes.

:+1:

Actually, I cut the gun stores a bit of slack for having the sign if they don't enforce it. In a store like Walmart, there is no gun handling expected, so the sign is out of place, but in a gun store there is the potential of having someone pull the gun out of a holster to check fit or whatever. I don't handle my gun when carried, but I've seen enough goobers in gun stores to think that there's the potential for someone to think it's Ok to handle a loaded weapon. I feel that the signs are meant for them and if it keeps people from trying hoster fit with a loaded gun, so be it. Not every sign is meant for you. Just as the warning on a hot cup of coffee is not meant for me, but for the moron and the insurance underwriters.

Similar thing with the 1500. I don't like being disarmed, but also know how many morons there are at the 1500. I do think the 1500 needs to have some loading and unloading barrels outside of the place though. The potential for an ND goes up exponentially during loading and unloading. Requiring you to unload, but not giving you a safe place to unload is dumb.

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    They all say "No loaded weapons" I CC and I never really "SEE" these signs; I'm sure this is an insurance liability just to have the sign posted.

No disrespect to the shop owners, I just don't want to be disarmed - I figure out of sight, out of mind - right?

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    If the shop truly makes you disarm, no. If the shop has the sign on the door and doesn't enforce it, yes.
    +1 :yesway:

I was at Cosner's in Bedford today. I SEARCHED the door for a sign, no sign of a sign.
    I then went to {?} Sam's Guns just up the road. He had a "Weapons that will be handled must be unloaded" or something such as that.
    As an aside, to the contrary of most folks, the guys at Sams weren't real friendly, the "guy" (Mr. Cosner?) who is ALWAYS there actually waved to me as I left empty-handed.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I don't do business with companies in CA, NY, NJ, or IL. I don't do business with companies that I disagree with their policies. And I certainly don't do business with gun dealers that discourage CC or the handling of loaded weapons, it just seems counter intuitive.

I am OK with a company that designates all weapons must be cased and checks except for CC. But even then I am hesitant about the ratio of cash I lay down in places like that vs local shops.

At my local fun store, it is perfectly acceptable for regulars to pull the mag, clear the chamber and check out a holster. Casual customers are asked to show the cleared weapon to the proprietor. I prefer to spend my money there because of the level of trust and respect. I don't do business with companies that don't respect me.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    If a firearms dealer asked me to "put the gun in the car or leave" I would take the second option and never come back. Way too many good shops around to patronize one that hypocritical.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    This leaves out Bradis and Beech Grove for most of you...

And PSS. I've not been to Beech Grove so don't know what I am or am not missing out on, but I quit shopping both Bradis and PSS because of their policy. There are other gun shops in the area that do not have the policy, or have a teensy tiny sign buried somewhere where it's almost impossible to see. The little signs I think are clearly insurance mandated, and ignored even by the owners. The big ones on or by the front doors of PSS and Bradis tells me that they actually mean it. Their choice... and mine.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    Another thread got me curious how other gun owners feel about this. We get all crappy with stores that require us to merely conceal our weapons, yet many of us are willing to look the other way when gun stores require us to not just conceal, but unload, our weapons. There are calls for boycotts every time a store requires it's patrons to conceal their guns, yet many gunshops do a thriving business without a word being said about their decision to effectively disarm us altogether. These gun stores say it's for safety... are we then going to be willing to accept the same argument if Wal-mart requires us to unload our guns?

So, I got curious... how many refuse to patronize such shops and instead find others, and how many don't mind being disarmed?

This is an interesting question. I take issue with businesses that do not allow carry on their premises. I understand that it is their property and their rules, and I respect that and leave. However, I have shopped Bradis and PSS (a lot) and just left my weapon in the car. When I did carry into the store, I have even been asked to remove my magazine and I complied. Apparently, that hasn't bothered me until now. It is evident that I did not apply my mode of thinking evenly (to ALL businesses)in this case. I guess that I will have to think about this. Dang you Joe.....

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I leave my gun in the car when I go. I hardly ever get to go to a reputable gun shop, I figure 30 minutes of sticking my personal safety out on a limb is worth it.

Top Bottom