Will you shop at a gun shop that requires you to disarm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are you willing to patronize gun shops that require you to unload your firearm?

• Total voters

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    One of the shops I frequent has the sign, but I don't unload and clear there. I am not a large person, and carry a 1911, so it prints when I CC. I will pull my shirt over it, and if I am ever called out, I will not go back. BTW, I have spent thousands there, and I enjoy just stopping there and browsing.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Nope. If the employees are gong to carry, I better bet able to. If not, well, I feel that someone dealing in the second amendment should also believe in the second amendment, so I wouldnt do business there.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If they required me to disarm, I wouldn't support them.

If they don't enforce such a rule which I already don't believe applies to my carry gun, then no big deal.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Most shops need the sign for insurance, I have never seen it enforced in any shop I been in. I CC kind of. I normally have a cover vest or shirt of some kind, but my firearm can be easily seen. I never been told to leave or unload my gun at any gunshop.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I typically ignore the signs. I OC almost everywhere. If the Shop says to remove myself while I am carrying it is the last time I will ever darken their doorway too...

Rarely do I go to Gun Shows either... Also happens to one of the rare times I CC also...

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I agree with MrsGungho. Merely having the sign won't discourage me from spending money there. Enforcing the sign by asking me to leave or take my EDC gun out of the store will put a stop to my spending in that store. I CC so the point is moot anyway.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If you can't carry at a gun shop, where can you carry?

Not just no but heck no.

I won't shop in an anti-gun gun store.

Luckily here in NW Indiana Blythes (valpo), Debs, Cabelas, Gander, Basspro, midwest gun exchange don't have such assinine signs.

Debs and Cabelas both have a 'keep'em holstered' sign, which is 100% proper and correct IMO.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The only time I disarm is when I am required by law to, and even then I may or may not dependinging on what I think the risk vs consequences may be. A sign in a gun shop carries no weight and I ignore them. If the store asks me to disarm or leave I will probably never go back, but thus far I've never been in that situation. The flip side is that the only time my carry gun ever would clear the holster outside of at home or on a range, the technicalities of legality will be pretty low on my priority list, so a shop owner is pretty unlikely to see me waiving a gun around.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It depends.

For example, Hirschy's has a "no loaded weapons beyond this point" sign in the drive/parking area...but that's a private residence as well. His house, his rules.

If it was a big box store with gun stuff available and a sign on the door...prolly not so much.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    As in all matters, you just have to ask yourself....

WWMD.png

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    As long as I can bring my firearm into the store, I'll shop there. I don't like it, but I can understand why they want it unloaded. I CC anyway, so most of the time I "never saw the sign". :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Are there any that don't?

It may be an insurance issue. Sometimes liability insurance comes with requirements, and if you're a small business you have no negotiating power. That may be why some put up signs but don't attempt to enforce them.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I can't ever recall walking into a gun shop or sporting goods store and having to disarm... :dunno: So I guess if they made me disarm or ask me to leave, then yea, I'd probably not come back.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I saw such a sign on the door, I would turn around and walk away. I wouldn't go into any other retail shop that had such a sign.

Top Bottom