• ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    You 'sir' are a FOOL !!!

A lady alone at home with a small child. Some unknown jack wagon, ignores no tresspassing signs, then ignores her request to leave, stop, ect multiple times. Personally I would have qued the dog when the a s s hole said "you don't have to be a ***** "

Well done by the OPs wife !!!!

Yes Some one is a fool or not living in reality.

lets look at the facts here

1. Dog going balistic by my son, gets my wifes attention
    2. Alleged meet salesman goes past 3 not one not two but three no tresspassing signs posted at about 100 foot intervals down the driveway.
    3. Was asked to leave politely not once not twice but three times, then becomes agreessive and calls her a *****.
    4 my wife felt threatened after he ignored the first two request to leave.
    5 there was diparity of size my wife is about 110 pounds soaking wet, my son is 9 years old.

So given all the above she acted in an appropriate manner for the situation, because Honey I will be there in 20 minutes is not going to cut it here period! So yeah we must be gun nuts. Clearly as evidenced by her refusal to be a victim and ensuring the safety of herself and my son! Oh yeah further evidence in that we must be gun nuts as we believe in the power of the pen and write our congressman and representatives when the need arises, Well I guess we will just be happy being gun nuts that want to ensure our familys safety!

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    as I stated before sorry for my misconceptions of the original post. And I now understand why she did what she did. With that being said I have seen a lot of members on here point out they have no tresspassing signs. And If I am not mistaken both no gun and no tresspassing signs hold about the same amount of worth, meaning they are just a view of the property owners wishes. I honestly won't waste the money on the signs because much like the no gun signed there is always going to be a few people who say "concealed means concealed" or in other words ignore the sign completely and do what they want anyways. Since you live in a rural area maybe a gated drive could help prevent people like this from making it to close to the house?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    as I stated before sorry for my misconceptions of the original post. And I now understand why she did what she did. With that being said I have seen a lot of members on here point out they have no tresspassing signs. And I am not mistaken both no gun and no tresspassing signs hold about the same amount of worth, meaning they are just a view of the property owners wishes. I honestly won't waste the money on the signs because much like the no gun signed there is always going to be a few people who say "concealed means concealed" or in other words ignore the sign completely and do what they want anyways. Since you live in a rural area maybe a gated drive could help prevent people like this from making it to close to the house?

Here you are quite wrong.

Yes, a sign itself does not carry the force of law in Indiana, but ignoring a property owner or anyone who has a contractual interest in the property when they tell you to leave IS criminal trespass. Your ONLY option when someone tells you to leave the property they legally control for which you have no contractual interest in, is to leave. Immediately.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Here you are quite wrong.

Yes, a sign itself does not carry the force of law in Indiana, but ignoring a property owner or anyone who has a contractual interest in the property when they tell you to leave IS criminal trespass. Your ONLY option when someone tells you to leave the property they legally control for which you have no contractual interest in, is to leave. Immediately.
    I meant just the sign itself with no interaction or warnings from the property owner.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    BigMoose nailed it. From the OP's description, the "beef seller" ignored repeated written and verbal warnings to leave the property. The only one 'out of line' in this case was the supposed salesman. Who in their right (or left) mind continues to approach a house with an angry dog and homeowner telling them repeatedly to get off the property?? The only other thing she should have done is to get a description of he guy and truck--with license plate if possible--off to the police to check this guy out. At the least, trespassing charges are appropriate, and at the worst, the police may have been able to catch a guy associated with multiple break-ins.

:twocents:

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    BigMoose nailed it. From the OP's description, the "beef seller" ignored repeated written and verbal warnings to leave the property. The only one 'out of line' in this case was the supposed salesman. Who in their right (or left) mind continues to approach a house with an angry dog and homeowner telling them repeatedly to get off the property?? The only other thing she should have done is to get a description of he guy and truck--with license plate if possible--off to the police to check this guy out. At the least, trespassing charges are appropriate, and at the worst, the police may have been able to catch a guy associated with multiple break-ins.

:twocents:

This...

How many times does someone have to tell you no before you believe them? The lady said no and asked him to leave. That should have been plenty. I did not read any panic into the opening thread.

Read the book "The Gift of Fear" and it talks about these type of incidents.

Carry on..

Turf Doctor

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    How many times does someone have to tell you no before you believe them?

Good question! I'd like the answer to that specifically from Uncle Jrod.
    You're the "salesman" in question.
    You've bypassed three "No Trespassing" signs on your way up to a lady home with her little kid by themselves. The lady tells you to stop advancing and leave.
    How many times after that initial time does it take *you* (personally) to understand that she's asking you to cease moving toward her and return from where you came?
    AT WHAT POINT should a woman alone be on alert by a man approaching after she says "STOP"? Specifically, how many "STOP"s need to be spoken to you? Please state your answer in the form of a number. Explanation is completely optional.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Sounds like "good neighbor" material to me.

I guess I'm one of those whackadoodle gun nuts. I carry every day.

Yeah you know us gun nuts we do the most stupid things like looking out for the elederlay lady down the road from us, by doing little things like taking her to church on Sunday and breaking bread with her as well. Oh yeah we do other crazy things like plowing out the road and others driveways when the snow flys! Oh yeah as a family we do meals on wheels as well. Again I guess we will be happy as a family in our crazy life style!:patriot:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The OP did the best to ask the "sales" guy to leave. Don't believe in the door knocking, feel free to leave your company card and info on the door.

My wife won't answer the door unarmed either, we live in a rural home, with small acre farm behind us. She will dial 911 if you aren't a recognized person, it takes County about 15 mins to respond. That is reason enough to have a dog, or a firearm to back you up. Woman home alone... or kids... do your best felt option.

We use to have a German Shepherd, rescued from a shelter, who shared our home with us. 13 yrs and lost her to hip cancer. One of the saddest day of our lives. The bark and appearance calmed many of "door salesman". They would back out and leave.
    Good job OP.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yeah you know us gun nuts we do the most stupid things like looking out for the elederlay lady next door, by doing little things like taking her trash out, feeding her cat and breaking pie with her as well. Oh yeah we do other crazy things like changing burned out yard lights, fixing phone wires and fence gates, & plowing out her sidewalk & driveway[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] when the snow flys!
    Us exactly, too! (well...in this version :D)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    A man or woman never stands taller when they lean over to help others, Sorry to go on about this just get a little tired of others labeling us as gun nuts with out knowing a thing about us!

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Door to door sales are all offensive to me. If I want to buy something these days, I can buy it online or drive to the store when I need it. I don't want unwelcome guests showing up at my doorstep thinking they can sell me something I wasn't even considering.

I used to try to be polite and let them talk their talk before politely saying, I'm sorry, no thank you. This is my place and my time these people have chosen to interrupt. Now I get to the point in an instant. I had a meat truck guy knock on my door a few weeks ago. After his initial greeting, he asked if I liked steak. I did a quick look around his shoulder to see a small dingy truck. I said, sure, but not out the back of a truck. His grin disappeared real quick as I stared him down to let him know I wasn't joking. He said, oh ok, I understand and left.

I've answered job ads that stated something and ended up being door to door sales. Asking them if it was a door to door job was like trying to get a confession from a criminal. I don't trust the employers or the employees.

Our house was broken into just a few days after a few door to door guys came to our house. One guy was selling magazines, another was selling alarm systems and three guys together were selling religion. So who can you trust?

Top Bottom