• DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yeah, her reaction was just flipping fine

I'm (God help me) with the monkey on this one.

The whole thread reminds me of a past life in which I was a Tru-Green lawn jockey in the Anderson/Chesterfield area. Had one new customer. Every time I pulled into the drive (think suburbia) a german shephard went apepoop. No response from house. After several attempts and no phone answers, I finally scruffed 'em up and resigned myself to getting mauled. Pulled up, jumped out of the truck, and the damn dog TOOK ME BY THE HAND and led me to the front door. Homeowner answered the door, apologized for the dog. I had to laugh. Told him he had one good dog. That dog still makes me laugh. Took me by the hand every time and led me to the door. What a great dog.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    In addition to what's been said, it appears the dbag also called OPs wife somethin awful in front of their young son. That's a no no. Not someone I'd want around my family or property.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Well done, Ma'am. I see no over reaction on her part at all.

Most people with a little common sense know that strangers are going to be "greeted" differently in rural areas. A few years ago I saw a strange Jeep across the field on my neighbors property. I knew no one should be where this guy was at. When he saw me for the first time I was about 10 feet from his driver's door with my FN FAL slung across my chest. When the guy's nads finally dropped from his throat enough that he could speak he said, "Do you always greet strangers with an assault rifle in this neighborhood?" To which I replied, "Yes". They guy quickly determined that he was in the wrong place and would not make the same mistake again. He apologized profusely until he was out of sight.
    A few months ago two guys in an unmarked pickup truck stopped at my 87 year old grandmother's house in a small town here in Indiana. One guy came to the door and told her he was the guy that had put the lightning rods on her house years ago. He said he had stopped a few days earlier and had gotten up on the roof and saw that the lightning rods and grounding cables needed about $1000 worth of work, that he had went ahead and done, but since she had used him to do the work originally that he was only going to charge her $600 for the repairs. When she told him that she didn't have any money, he pushed the door open and stepped into her house. She told him that her grandson handled all her money and that she could give him his number. When he acted like this answer was not going to satisfy him she reach for her Life Alert pendant around her neck, at which time he left. Grandma was with it enough to get a good vehicle description and direction of travel with was promptly reported to the sheriff's department.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Grandma was with it enough to get a good vehicle description and direction of travel with was promptly reported to the sheriff's department.

And??

he pushed the door open and stepped into her house.

Entering a residence uninvited by even slightly pushing open a door without permission is breaking and entering. That's criminal trespass.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Well, given the response time in rural communities, the deputy never located the vehicle. Grandma was not able to get a plate number because the truck backed out of her driveway and the took off rather quickly.
    She passed the incident on to all her neighbors in hopes that it would quickly get around the small community.
    We beefed up the security on the house and the next door neighbor started some additional active security measures for her, as well.
    I wondered if these guys had multiple stories, depending on the age/gender of the person that answered the door.

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    Well done, Ma'am. I see no over reaction on her part at all.

Most people with a little common sense know that strangers are going to be "greeted" differently in rural areas. A few years ago I saw a strange Jeep across the field on my neighbors property. I knew no one should be where this guy was at. When he saw me for the first time I was about 10 feet from his driver's door with my FN FAL slung across my chest. When the guy's nads finally dropped from his throat enough that he could speak he said, "Do you always greet strangers with an assault rifle in this neighborhood?" To which I replied, "Yes". They guy quickly determined that he was in the wrong place and would not make the same mistake again. He apologized profusely until he was out of sight.
    A few months ago two guys in an unmarked pickup truck stopped at my 87 year old grandmother's house in a small town here in Indiana. One guy came to the door and told her he was the guy that had put the lightning rods on her house years ago. He said he had stopped a few days earlier and had gotten up on the roof and saw that the lightning rods and grounding cables needed about $1000 worth of work, that he had went ahead and done, but since she had used him to do the work originally that he was only going to charge her $600 for the repairs. When she told him that she didn't have any money, he pushed the door open and stepped into her house. She told him that her grandson handled all her money and that she could give him his number. When he acted like this answer was not going to satisfy him she reach for her Life Alert pendant around her neck, at which time he left. Grandma was with it enough to get a good vehicle description and direction of travel with was promptly reported to the sheriff's department.

I would have told the scumbag thanks for the free repairs considering that's not how businesses operate. You just don't show up at someone's house, fix their things without consent, then ask for an absurd amount of money. That ruins his legitimacy right there to me.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Good job I dont know when those A holes are going to get it. I kicked them off my old property at least once a year. The last time I stepped out of my garage with a bat and said some nasty things. Open carry at home is a good thing because you never know.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    +ScouT6a! Rural living is a longer response time unless you have a neighbor who is in law enforcement. Had a couple door knockers yesterday.

2 ladies with a ID card, came knocking on my front door. They wanted to talk to the owner and explain how to get a utilties discount. When I swung the door open and had a ball cap on, they started to hem and haw. The cap had printed "DEA" and they couldn't reverse there steps fast enough. I called the Sheriff's Dept. I keep a couple of caps hanging on a hook by the front door for that reason. (also have couple baseball team, and football team logos if needed.)

35 mins later Deputy showed, advised him and he started a search around the farms.
    No luck, but one neighbor saw an older 4d sedan leaving the area occupied by 2 females, earlier. My experience as a homeowner with utilties is they email or mail with my statement, all info in regards to programs, and rebates.

Clearly a scope and run tactic to see who's home. These also had no calling card, printed matter to give with the utility logo, and wanted to "sign you up". Scam, big time. Feel sorry that the elderly become magnets for those people. Beat it, not interested.

(note: my Bersa 380acp was behind my back, under my T shirt during the entire conversation. So yes, concealed has the upper hand.) You don't need to display it if not needed.)

We also lock our front door unless company is present. When out in the barn, or fields, we don't need anyone entering the front of our home. We also lock our cars/trucks same reason.

Use common sense, and good locks and lights, and most of your issues can disappear.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I posted this elsewhere a while back:

We live out in the dark and creepy to borrow a phrase from Leadeye.

Several months ago we spent the afternoon at a friend's party up near Martinsville and it was a little late when we headed home an hour and a half away.

I rarely get anyone behind me when heading down my road, but had headlights in the rear view as I was driving slower than usual to keep the girls from getting carsick going around the curves and up and down the hills, and as I was slowing to turn into our driveway and stopping at the gate which is deep in the dark woods a long ways away from anywhere else, the vehicle behind stopped behind us, blocking us if we'd wanted to back out. This was about 10:30 late at night, so not smart behavior for someone as it immediately put the girls and I on red alert and all three of us drew weapons. I kept the car in gear ready to move.

We have a remote for the automatic gate opener, but it doesn't open quickly. As the other driver's door opened I had my G36 in my lap with my hand on it and L said "his hands are clear." This person at least had the smarts to have his hand out and nonthreatening where I could see them in my brakelights which I had on for the extra light. I cracked the window and he started asking directions to Huron. So I gave them to him and he thanked me and got back into his vehicle and drove off.

L said she recognized him as a former probationer (she's LEO). Me, I don't follow someone into their driveway late at night...

Were we being cased, or was it just as innocent as it seemed? I don't really know or care all that much, but I was pretty happy that the immediate family response was defensive and the best possible response we could have under the situation and that if he'd come out with any kind of weapon he wouldn't have made it far.

The only thing I would have done differently is to drive past the driveway to turn around.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    L said she recognized him as a former probationer (she's LEO). Me, I don't follow someone into their driveway late at night...

Were we being cased, or was it just as innocent as it seemed? I don't really know or care all that much, but I was pretty happy that the immediate family response was defensive and the best possible response we could have under the situation and that if he'd come out with any kind of weapon he wouldn't have made it far.

The only thing I would have done differently is to drive past the driveway to turn around.

You were being cased.
    If he had truly wanted directions, he would have flashed his lights while on the road.
    Never show them where you live if you're being followed.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    OK ... read all of this ... where that JRod or whatever with the answer to JetGirl's Math problem??

I guess he failed math at Troll School.

Good Job to the OP's Mrs. Good Dog. ... uhm Lucky 'guest'.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    You never know if people are just pushy salesmen or robbers. Either way if they don't leave after 3 times of asking.... Shoot first and ask questions later.

Top Bottom