• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We've had the SA talk several times before this incident and again last night. I found out the ladies had been lingering in the driveway for close to 10 minutes with headlights on and car running.:facepalm:

Apparently when they pulled in the drive, the motion light from the porch went on. It shut off due to their lingering, that's when robber made his move. To me that means no more motion light, but full time floods.

We reviewed SA again a little yesterday and I think it's starting to sink in more with her.

As for the gun, I didn't see it, so I don't know about real or not. It could have been, fake, empty, or both. I'm glad they didn't take the chance.

Here is my suggestion from another thread.... Replace your current motions with these set to 20/100.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...21130-home-invasion-thread-2.html#post4584491

I think its this model but I didnt pay this much:
    Shop Heath Zenith 240-Degree 2-Head White Halogen Motion-Activated Flood Light with Timer at Lowes.com

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    We've had the SA talk several times before this incident and again last night. I found out the ladies had been lingering in the driveway for close to 10 minutes with headlights on and car running.:facepalm:

Apparently when they pulled in the drive, the motion light from the porch went on. It shut off due to their lingering, that's when robber made his move. To me that means no more motion light, but full time floods.

We reviewed SA again a little yesterday and I think it's starting to sink in more with her.

As for the gun, I didn't see it, so I don't know about real or not. It could have been, fake, empty, or both. I'm glad they didn't take the chance.
    That. Unless the gun in my face has an orange tipped muzzle and is blatantly fake I'm not going to take the chance and "wrestle" with the guy especially when there are people to my left and right. In that situation you're not the only person you're trying to avoid being shot. I think your wife and her friends did the best thing in that situation given the circumstance.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    To me that means no more motion light, but full time floods.

Motion lights can be defeated, also easy for people to walk up in the daytime and unscrew them so they won't light up and you think nothing is amiss.

My entire house is lite up each night, I have at least 3 spare bulbs for the cfl flood lights at all times, lights come on 1/2 hour before dark and are checked to see if they are not burnt out.

The closest you can approach my house and not be lit up is 50 feet, the back yard, 150+, some of my neighbors call my house the "Airport" because of all the lights, but I'm a firm believer that a well lit house will help prevent BG's from coming around, they want to be as stealthy as possible and that's hard to do when there are a lot of lights.

My house has...

8 - 120 watt CFL floods
    1 - 500 watt halogen wide angle flood
    4 - 100 watt daylight bulbs
    and the finishing touch is my HID Metal Halite 175 watt 14000 lumen flagpole light
    that lights up the entire front of my house.:n00b:

Next step is a video surveillance system, looking at some of the Swan systems, particularly the one that Fry's has right now, 4 700 line night vision camers with a 1TB drive and is expandable to 9 cameras.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That's a very frightening situation for your wife and her friends, not to mention yourself. I'm happy for all of you that nobody was hurt. I think taking your wife to a training class is a very responsible approach. I hope the robber gets caught and gets his day in court. One of these days he just might rob the wrong people and find himself answering to a "higher court" so to speak.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am so glad none of the good guys were hurt.

you should listen to your father n law!

100% of me says get the F--- out of there. No doubt in my mind. Bye bye c ya

life presents us with lessons and it is up to us to learn

Good luck either way and stay safe. Just my :twocents:. I'm sure others think the same and just won't say it but I will

And where would you run and hide. No area is safe. There were shootings at random in Brownsburg this summer by some POS thugs that jacked an SUV and went on a rampage. The illusion of safety from where you live, is just that....an illusion. Stop running and hiding. They are going out into the "Nice safe" areas and kicking in doors now. No fear of reprisal, nor the law.

Thats just a waste of energy and finances unless you really want to do it.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I'm not telling anyone to run and hide. You have to agree some areas are safer than others. Just ask any Impd officer where they choose to live with their families.

please use your common sense statistics probability police reports and god given spidey senses. You are grown ass men by now and know where you should and should not be. I don't need to tell you that your chances of getting jacked are greatly increased by living by the fair grounds. If you want to accept the risk go for it. Me not so much.

You are wrong my friend. Living in Brownsburg is much safer than living by the fair grounds. This is not illusion it is reality. You can accept it or not I don't care.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are wrong my friend. Living in Brownsburg is much safer than living by the fair grounds. This is not illusion it is reality. You can accept it or not I don't care.

agreed. but there is a difference between "safe" and "safer". even in rural bburg you arent immune to thuggery. Case in point, i graduated with this waste of skin.

Communities | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

unfortunately this is pre internet in a small town so details arent online.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm sorry to hear what happened to your Wife and Friends also. It is too bad the punks, thungs, druggies and gangsters are moveing out to the subburbs. I hope I am home when they get to me. I love to see my dogs eat.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not telling anyone to run and hide. You have to agree some areas are safer than others. Just ask any Impd officer where they choose to live with their families.

please use your common sense statistics probability police reports and god given spidey senses. You are grown ass men by now and know where you should and should not be. I don't need to tell you that your chances of getting jacked are greatly increased by living by the fair grounds. If you want to accept the risk go for it. Me not so much.

Of course my chances of experiencing inner city crime are higher IN THE CITY. I could move my family to Brownsburg but then I'd live in... Brownsburg:lmfao:. No offense B Burg friends, it's just not for me. Nra4ever, where are you from and where do you reside? B Burg?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Point made and taken. Yes, some areas are "Statistically" safer than others. I am perfectly aware being a grown ass man and all that. I have worked in and around all the hot spots in Indy most of my adult life so trust me, I get it. Seems I pushed your hot button and that was not my intention, being a grown ass man I should know better and be a kinder gentler person.........Nah..............:):

My point is this, to run away my not be the answer. If the OP likes the area and the home it sucks to be pushed out of it. I have friends that live around 18th and New Jersey. 5 years ago that area was a freaking war zone. Now yuppy moms jog while pushing baby in the stroller. The houses are being refurbished to there former glory. They still hear some gun fire but it is fading away. Problem is, when they push the POS Thugs out of the area they relocate out my way or go up to 42nd and post. I hate section 8 housing.

Also consider that the ski mask wearing POS "THUG" may not have resided in that area. We get that around here all the time. I am just north of the Speedway. A lot of the crime we experience is from traveling POS thugs.
    If he was on foot then maybe he was local but he could have had wheels right around the corner. Probably stolen but hey, who knows.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm definitely not looking forward to telling my father-in-law about this. He's a crusty old Marine who already hates the fact that we live where we do. It will certainly be interesting to get his reaction to all of this.
    I'm on Crustys side!
    not a good area at all! And 2:30 am, even worse!
    glad everyone is ok!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    When I was a kid, my uncle had a fairly successful towing service, and lived off of Post on the east side, probably not very far from where you're (Church) talking about. It was a nice area at the time... I remember my parents taking me and my siblings trick-or-treating in their neighborhood with my cousins. It was clean, and at the time, I didn't think there was anything unsafe about it.

Fast forward to 2013, and it's not always a safe place to be in the daylight, let alone after dark. Maybe if more "good guys" had stuck around and fought harder to keep the bad elements out, it could still be as nice as I remember it. I understand that at some point it's easier to cut your losses and get out of Dodge, but I do love it when good people reclaim their areas.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    And where would you run and hide. No area is safe. There were shootings at random in Brownsburg this summer by some POS thugs that jacked an SUV and went on a rampage. The illusion of safety from where you live, is just that....an illusion. Stop running and hiding. They are going out into the "Nice safe" areas and kicking in doors now. No fear of reprisal, nor the law.

Thats just a waste of energy and finances unless you really want to do it.

Not necessarily "safer", but you definitely have better chances in some areas over others!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I live in indy and don't have any plans on moving but if my neighborhood were to decline and I didn't feel safe I would move. I'm not getting any younger so my days of fighting are over. I would probably move to Monroe co and not Brownsburg. Nothing against Brownsburg it's a very nice place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know it's hard to believe, but violent crime in Indy, and the US, has been trending downward the last few years. The link doesn't include 2012 #'s.
    Indy Crime Rates

You believe this crap....really????

Stats are manipulated to fit an agenda. There are multiple murders a night on a regular basis this year. How can we be having a decline in violent crime. Look around my friend, It ain't getting better out there.

Top Bottom