WI range turns in names of customers to police who run background checks on all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Brew City Shooters Supply | Facebook

There are a few comments that are worth reading. One might even be from an INGOer. :whistle:

Thanks for the link. Some of the more pithy comments as of this date (in case they get censored):

Under a picture of the shop: "Where is the table with the fax machine sending customer data directly to the police."

Under a section about specials:
    "Do the police background checks cost extra or are those included in the prices of the specials."

Under a section about shooting range costs:
    "Does that $15 include the cost of unwarranted background checks?!"

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The only person that takes possession of my State issued ID is the Police Officer that needs it for an Official Investigation into a crime or infraction

I guess I am pretty naive. I had no idea that people were willing to give a private business their official state issued documents in order to frequent their establishment.

Maybe this post will cause people to re-think their willingness to hand over their "papers" to those who demand them for frivolous reasons.

Do not hold your breath. People have been giving up their SSN for years and nobody was ever supposed to see that info but the IRS and an employer.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Midwest gun range holds your DL while shooting in their range. Gives it back when you are finished.

I get nervous when I hand my debit card to the gal working the drive through when I stop for coffee in the morning. I couldn't imagine giving someone my DL with my photo, home address and signature on it and having it be out my sight for an extended period of time.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Some ranges will hold your ID while you are using their facilities just in case anything happens. I know a local range here that was vandalized by someone using armor piercing ammo. They started holding your ID after that happened, because they had no way of knowing who did the damage. There's nothing on my Drivers license that someone couldn't get otherwise with a little digging.

Sure, there are other ways of keeping track, but ID is an easy one. What worries me about the range in Wisconsin is what they do with that info once they have it. I don't ever give out my SSN unless it is required.

brentlh

Marksman
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    May 11, 2012
    Muncie
    The only person that takes possession of my State issued ID is the Police Officer that needs it for an Official Investigation into a crime or infraction

I guess I am pretty naive. I had no idea that people were willing to give a private business their official state issued documents in order to frequent their establishment.

Maybe this post will cause people to re-think their willingness to hand over their "papers" to those who demand them for frivolous reasons.

Canoe Country in Daleville also holds your DL until the end of the trip. I just assumed they wanted to make sure you didn't paddle to the Ohio with their canoe. Now I might rethink this.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    This is disturbing. I'm sure it's a deal they set up with the ATF or local officials to allow them to do SOMETHING that they otherwise were not allowed to do. It's sickening and sounds terribly illegal. I hope it is illegal and they get fried.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is disturbing. I'm sure it's a deal they set up with the ATF or local officials to allow them to do SOMETHING that they otherwise were not allowed to do. It's sickening and sounds terribly illegal. I hope it is illegal and they get fried.

How can it be illegal?

Why would the government rule that a SNITCH has committed an illegal act?

The government is your friend and the information they obtain from snitches is only used to protect you and the public at large.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    How can it be illegal?

Why would the government rule that a SNITCH has committed an illegal act?

The government is your friend and the information they obtain from snitches is only used to protect you and the public at large.
    Um, because there are rules for police running the history of citizens? How bout a privacy issue with the company disseminating personal information without authorization?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Please join us in the world that we all live in.

The government does what it wants, whenever it wants. When a snitch, private citizen/business, sends information to the government expecting a response, the government will respond with as much information as they can, or that they think is appropriate to provide.

They will also make a record of the request and their own response. The response is what is kept in the record, for any future use. I don't think there is any allegation that the business has been dessimating any info on individuals to the public, or even that they are informed by the government of the results of the information that they provide to the government in the request.

They, the government, are responding to the snitch. The snitch cannot be denied because they also have rights.

The government has not initiated the query, the citizen/business has. No laws have been violated.

The police are not running citizens, they are responding to the requests of the snitch.

Does this make it more clear?

Sleep well tonight. Maybe someone has called you in. You won't know for a while.

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Please join us in the world that we all live in.

The government does what it wants, whenever it wants. When a snitch, private citizen/business, sends information to the government expecting a response, the government will respond with as much information as they can, or that they think is appropriate to provide.

They will also make a record of the request and their own response. The response is what is kept in the record, for any future use. I don't think there is any allegation that the business has been dessimating any info on individuals to the public, or even that they are informed by the government of the results of the information that they provide to the government in the request.

They, the government, are responding to the snitch. The snitch cannot be denied because they also have rights.

The government has not initiated the query, the citizen/business has. No laws have been violated.

The police are not running citizens, they are responding to the requests of the snitch.

Does this make it more clear?

Sleep well tonight. Maybe someone has called you in. You won't know for a while.
    A) The bolded is inaccurate.

B) I did not say that the range was disseminating info the the public, it does not have to be to the public. They are sending it without the individual's permission. That is called disseminating. IF the police run the info they are also breaking the law, as they have no RAS or PC to run that individual, anything they find is from a fruitless tree.

C) Please join us in the real world, where you have to have an inkling of what you're talking about in order to be taken seriously.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

You mean like when you purchase alcohol, or tobacco, or rent a car, etc...?:dunno:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    A) The bolded is inaccurate.

B) I did not say that the range was disseminating info the the public, it does not have to be to the public. They are sending it without the individual's permission. That is called disseminating. IF the police run the info they are also breaking the law, as they have no RAS or PC to run that individual, anything they find is from a fruitless tree.

C) Please join us in the real world, where you have to have an inkling of what you're talking about in order to be taken seriously.

I would also add that the article stated that the owner of Brew City Firearms agreed to the arrangement with the local LE. Sounds like it was a condition placed on him by the police, not the other way around.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I don't think there's any 4th A issue, unless the police directed the shop to turn over the information.

Unless there's a WI law that authorizes administrative reviews of range membership lists, this is almost certainly invasion of privacy by the gun shop. Sounds like a solid class action suit, and someone's gun shop may be changing hands shortly.

As far as the police 'putting the condition' of disclosure on the shop owner, I would be curious to see the code that authorizes such a thing... except maybe in Chicago and NYC, of course.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom