WI range turns in names of customers to police who run background checks on all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .38 Special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Currently down again.
    Probably thought everyone would read that bunch of bs and say, "awww...well now, that's a little different."

For those who didn't see it, here's the owner's FaceBook response (emphasis mine/addressed at the end)...

Hello this is Mike, owner of Brew City Shooter's Supply Inc. I just wanted to clear up any confusion about our new policies.

The waiver screening process was set up in 2009 with Badger Guns and West Milwaukee Police Department to determine if felons or prohibited users were possessing firearms. The waiver form clearly states we have the right to determine if you are prohibited from possessing a firearm. (1)

Since I've been open in January of this year I've been completely honest and open about what is done with the waivers(2) and when asked, state the West Milwaukee PD will screen this to make sure you're not prohibited from possessing a firearm. A few have pushed the paperwork back and said they weren't comfortable with that, but the majority say they have nothing to hide.(3) The Chief of Police of West Milwaukee assured me the information is not collected or given to any other state agencies.(4)

Because of this process, WMPD has been able to successfully file charges on 47 felons and prohibited persons (5) who have used our range.

Due to the confusion I've made some changes surrounding this. If you present a concealed carry permit with valid ID your waiver will be exempted from the screening process entirely. Everyone must still fill out a waiver because of physical liability associated with shooting. For club members during the initial evaluation, you will fill out one waiver and then you will not have to fill one out for another year.

I've been trying to be completely open and transparent in my practices for the past six months and it has evolved into what I consider to be the best and safest way to do business in this city. I am sorry if you were misinformed and please know that I do respect the privacy of every American. (6) I will do what must be done to ensure I have the only range felons don't shoot at and I will protect my business with the goal of operational security. If you do not wish to shoot by me that is your right, but I can assure you my range will be the best around. Just give me some time.

Shoot safely and shoot accurately.

1. No it did not. I saw the pdf form of the waiver. It asks the customer...it does NOT say "we reserve the right to run a criminal background check to see if you're telling the truth".
    ReleaseForm.jpg

2. No he wasn't honest and open...TONS of people had no idea a check was run on them.

3. So what if people say they have nothing to hide. I have nothing to hide, too...but that doesn't mean I give permission for you to violate my 4th Amendment Rights.

4. Then why are they KEEPING it??

5. As stated on their page by an ex-customer; of the 25,000 names submitted, with 47 coming back as "bad" that's a .00188 % return.

Apparently not

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I wouldn't dirty my soul by walking through his doors.

Per the waiver posted above, he does NOT have permission from his customers to run background checks on them. I hope he gets sued and run out of town on a rail.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    So, I show up, fill out said form and start shooting... IF I come back as a felon, they're already allowing me to shoot my half hour or however long before the police return a response and show up to arrest me... How does this in any way make their range a safer place? It DOESN'T. If it did, they would make you fill it out and come back a few days later.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    So, I show up, fill out said form and start shooting... IF I come back as a felon, they're already allowing me to shoot my half hour or however long before the police return a response and show up to arrest me... How does this in any way make their range a safer place? It DOESN'T. If it did, they would make you fill it out and come back a few days later.

The purpose isn't to make the range safe. It's to gain favor with the local PD and Fed's at the expense of his customer's 4A rights. "Look how I've cooperated!"

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Interesting indeed. They apparently don't think the feds are sufficiently competent to administer background checks before the sale as required.
    Well, to be honest, do you think the Feds are sufficiently competent to do anything other than rack up debt?

Top Bottom