• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What if a car had a 3 foot arrow mounted on its right side to indicate how much clearance it needs to give a bicycle? As long as he's not whacking bicyclists, he knows he's giving them proper clearance. Would that be acceptable? Obviously if a bicyclist got hit by that arrow, it was riding too close to the car. Same same.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I cannot speak to the situation in the video. But the law is clear the bus must have three feet of clearance from the bike or the bus is at fault. The bike has the right to use the lane as practicable as needed to safely procede. If this went to court the bus would likely lose…
    Here’s the situation in the video. There is exactly one person acting like a dickhead in that video. It’s not the bus driver. It’s not the motorcycle riding behind the cyclist. Hell. He knows how to stay in his lane. He doesn’t seem to have any road hazards. He isn’t holding an idiotic arrow sign, daring people to breach impossible limits.

Can cyclists even be dickheads? Are they immune as soon as they don the spandex?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    People like even here are the reason I don’t ride anymore.

the van sure has a funny driving angle to me.
    The van was not moving in the video, but the motorcycle and the bicycle was. Looks to me like the van had stopped to get into the other lane. That explains the angle and the wheels being turned that way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What if a car had a 3 foot arrow mounted on its right side to indicate how much clearance it needs to give a bicycle? As long as he's not whacking bicyclists, he knows he's giving them proper clearance. Would that be acceptable? Obviously if a bicyclist got hit by that arrow, it was riding too close to the car. Same same.
    I was gonna make the same point but decided it was pointless. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The details of what went on before or what was ahead on the road are unknown from a 9 second video…
    Well, we knew a dickhead was riding with a dumbass sign. But. It’s obviously mot the US. They may all have to wear those arrows while biking for all we know. Kinda like the cone of shame for dogs to keep them from licking a wound.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    So what did you learn from this over 40 page thread.
    What did I learn?

On the fun side, I learned that spoof threads on INGO can be gold tier comedy.

On the serious side, I learned that there is a much greater lack of uniform understanding of what courteous/safe/best general practices are for bicycles on the road than I thought there was. I learned that there's actually a lot of people out there who want to see bicycles banned from roads, or at least they say that bicycles shouldn't be on the road and don't specify whether or not they think that should be forced by law, but either way it kind of makes me sad. I also learned that it's really hard to have conversations about what courteous/safe/best general practices for cyclists are because the conversation constantly devolves into endless misunderstandings over the difference between saying something is rude, and saying it's legal, and the fact that some people seem to think that the only way to challenge rude behavior is to try to make it illegal. That, and silly bickering over whether or not being in a motor vehicle or being on a bicycle raises your odds of being a jerk more.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What did I learn?

On the serious side, I learned that there is a much greater lack of uniform understanding of what courteous/safe/best general practices are for bicycles on the road than I thought there was. I learned that there's actually a lot of people out there who want to see bicycles banned from roads, or at least they say that bicycles shouldn't be on the road and don't specify whether or not they think that should be forced by law, but either way it kind of makes me sad. I also learned that it's really hard to have conversations about what courteous/safe/best general practices for cyclists are because the conversation constantly devolves into endless misunderstandings over the difference between saying something is rude, and saying it's legal, and the fact that some people seem to think that the only way to challenge rude behavior is to try to make it illegal. That, and silly bickering over whether or not being in a motor vehicle or being on a bicycle raises your odds of being a jerk more.
    I’ll give you an A+ for this report…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What did I learn?

Hi! Welcome to INGO! You must be new here... ;)

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Can you see the broken glass the rider is avoiding? Me either but that is possible and a normal occurrence while riding…

I’ve been quiet, because I don’t have a dog in the fight, but glass is a stretch. This douche is making a statement with his little sign thingy, and pushing the envelope.

Btw, who took the video? $5 says it’s his buddy watching him make his stand

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This douche is making a statement with his little sign thingy, and pushing the envelope.
    I wonder just what would cause a cyclist to crest the sign in the first place? Maybe the same selfish, entitled, inattentive drivers that caused me to give up road riding? Something I loved doing and was in great shape and health doing it.

I read the crap posted here from people that have not ridden a bike since their mommy controlled their lives that have no idea the laws, the techniques to stay safer, and just how dangerous it really is, but get the heck out of their way and don’t inconvenience them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe you missed the part where most of us don't have problems with the ones following the rules.
    But have a problem with those that blow through stop signs/lights, cross the roads into cars paths, ride against traffic instead of with traffic, and stuff like that.
    All of which you notice, are ALREADY AGAINST THE LAW.
    I noticed the part where King INGO thinks all cyclists shouldl bow their heads and move out of his way so he can save 10 seconds on his way home

And we all KNOW that INGO always comes to a complete stop and checks all direction before turning right on red, never accelerates into a yellow light when they're not already in the intersection, always yields to pedestrians in a crosswalk and rigorously obeys the speed limit even in a school zone or when it is a residential 25 mph

Doesn't claiming it's solely about 'not following/obeying the law' seem just a bit hypocritical?

Top Bottom