• ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I am on both side of this debate. I drive often and often I am inconvenienced by rude four abreast bikers taking a whole lane for going 8MPH and having a great time.

I also ride, but I am never feeling safe enough to not expect the distracted driver, doing her hair, messing with a laptop, applying make up, fricking shaving in the mirror, or just stoned or some such ... not to kill me.

I watch out for my own A55 and keep out of the way of traffic. I wish we all would.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    We have 2 old guys that ride them around our neighborhood. They only ride through subdivisions.

I was outside playin basketball with the neighborhood kids one day and they came riding by. Of course, i had to strike up a conversation (yes, im that guy… ill talk to anyone thatll listen). Long story short, they only ride thru subdivisions for 2 reasons. First, drivers going 50mph on country roads staring at their phones highly increases their chances of accident. 2nd, which is still funny to me, they dont wanna be an annoyance to anyone.
    Feedback we have gotten from drivers is that they think trike riders are handicapped or special needs. We are so different that people give us a wide berth on county roads.

We usually ride single file and call out "car up" or "car back" to warn each other. There are usually 8-10 riders on a group ride. We all have flashing lights, flags and bright clothes.

Howard, Tipton, Grant, Wabash, Fulton and Carrol counties are pretty safe to ride in. Hamilton and Koscuisco counties are dangerous and full of raging lunatic drivers. We never ride there.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Feedback we have gotten from drivers is that they think trike riders are handicapped or special needs. We are so different that people give us a wide berth on county roads.

That us true and so funny. Although most I know that ride recumbent bicycles have back problems.
    We usually ride single file and call out "car up" or "car back" to warn each other. There are usually 8-10 riders on a group ride. We all have flashing lights, flags and bright clothes.
    Same here when I was road riding.

Howard, Tipton, Grant, Wabash, Fulton and Carrol counties are pretty safe to ride in. Hamilton and Koscuisco counties are dangerous and full of raging lunatic drivers. We never ride there.
    Scary anywhere anymore with everyone having a phone in their hand…

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Dang it. I was gonna make a special needs joke about recumbent cyclists. Spoilt it.
    We don't mind being thought of as "special needs", if it helps keep us safer on the road.

I still have my two wheel bikes for quick trips around town and riding on crushed limestone trails.

The advantage of the recumbent is comfort and being able to see everything. I can ride 80-100 miles and finish pain free. On a regular bike, my wrists, arms, back and nether-regions are in pain after 40 miles. I can also look all around and see everything. On a regular bike, I mostly see the road right in front on me. A recumbent is slower going up a hill. But a trike has built in stability with three contact points so no tipping over when riding slow or stopping.

0_full_bike.jpg

I started out on recumbents with an Infinity long-wheelbase recumbent with under-seat steering, manufactured by Ace Tool & Engineering of Mooresville, Indiana. The trike is 1000 times more comfortable and stable.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Bicycles should have equal right to the roadway. I have no issue with them on the road, but they should get no special quarter. ride at your own risk.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We don't mind being thought of as "special needs", if it helps keep us safer on the road.

I still have my two wheel bikes for quick trips around town and riding on crushed limestone trails.

The advantage of the recumbent is comfort and being able to see everything. I can ride 80-100 miles and finish pain free. On a regular bike, my wrists, arms, back and nether-regions are in pain after 40 miles. I can also look all around and see everything. On a regular bike, I mostly see the road right in front on me. A recumbent is slower going up a hill. But a trike has built in stability with three contact points so no tipping over when riding slow or stopping.

View attachment 311740

I started out on recumbents with an Infinity long-wheelbase recumbent with under-seat steering, manufactured by Ace Tool & Engineering of Mooresville, Indiana. The trike is 1000 times more comfortable and stable.
    I mean, it’s just a joke. :):

I have a recumbent exercise bike. It actually helps my knees. Because I have knee pain, it affects the way I walk, which also affects the muscles around them. Which tends to exacerbate the problem.

The recumbent bike exercises those muscles in a way that an upright bike can’t. I have an e-bike, and that is easy on my knees. I bought the recumbent exercise bike after reading about that as a treatment for certain types of knee pain. It helps.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

View attachment 311740

Put a set of ape hangers on that thing!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    View attachment 311561
    With all the bike hate in this thread, the rage at seeing someone ride of these must be amplified by a factor of 100.

For the record, I ride a Catrike Expedition with a local club out of Kokomo. It is fun and a great way to get a workout. We usually ride 30-50 miles on a group ride. We stick mainly to back country roads, backstreets in town, and bike trails. Members of our group range from 63 to 92 years old. We do our best to avoid busy roads.

We do get yelled at, on average of once a year by an angry driver, (mostly women). We noticed the drivers of today are much more distracted than in years past. Todays drivers just don't care.

If I had a choice, it would be to ride 100% on trails. It is too bad that town are not connected by walking/bike trails on the old Interurban rail lines.
    Doesn't sound like I'd be upset with you or the group.

I don't hate ALL cyclists.

Though I hope everyone marks their bikes as well as they can.
    Those make me nervous about 'being seen'.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I noticed the part where King INGO thinks all cyclists shouldl bow their heads and move out of his way so he can save 10 seconds on his way home

And we all KNOW that INGO always comes to a complete stop and checks all direction before turning right on red,
    Check all directions? Yes, even if it's a one way. Complete stop? Not always if my check shows clear. Same with stop signs.
    never accelerates into a yellow light when they're not already in the intersection,
    Occasionally will do so if it's that or slam on the brakes, if it looks safe to do so. But it is rare because I try to pay attention to the walk/don't walk signals.
    always yields to pedestrians in a crosswalk
    Pretty much even when not legally required.
    and rigorously obeys the speed limit even in a school zone or when it is a residential 25 mph
    Pretty much give or take a couple of mph in school zone/residential areas.
    Doesn't claiming it's solely about 'not following/obeying the law' seem just a bit hypocritical?
    Nope, when I do it I make sure I'm not impeding others. Someone on a bike gets to a 4 way stop before me, I really couldn't care less if they stop or even slow down. But when I get there first and start to go and have to slam on the brakes because of some moron on a bike isn't paying attention and just blows through that's a different story.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yessss, your highness

There is nothing to be forgiven, except for perhaps a truly impressive level of hubris
    Idunno man. Sometimes you get offended over the most mundane things. People are just complaining about cyclists who annoy them. Blowing off steam. Even having fun with it.

Notice that the set of cyclists at issue is filtered to a subset of annoying ones. Presumably that would exclude you, right? Because presumably, you’re not one of the annoying ones. So are you just sticking up for your brethren cyclists who happen to be annoying? Or is it that you think all cyclists are like you, not annoying?

Here’s the thing, if you’re not one of the annoying ones, this thread is not about you. There are zero reasons to be offended. We’re only complaining about the dickhead cyclists. If you’d like, you can start a thread about dickhead drivers. But then I wonder if someone will get offended and call everyone complaining about the dickhead drivers, hypocrites.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Check all directions? Yes, even if it's a one way. Complete stop? Not always if my check shows clear. Same with stop signs.
    Here’s the thing. Rules of the road are made to facilitate safe driving/riding under most conditions. Following them is not always the safest action. That goes for both bikes and motor vehicles. On a bike, sometimes the safest way to proceed is to not stop for the stop sign.

What this thread is about, notwithstanding some outliers, is annoying cyclists. If you disobey rules of the road in a dickheaded way, this thread is about you. If you don’t, it’s not. I think maybe bug needs to recalibrate his expectations about this thread. It’s only anout him if he rides like a dickhead. I’m pretty sure it’s not about him then.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    People are just complaining about cyclists who annoy them. Blowing off steam. Even having fun with it.
    What this thread is about, notwithstanding some outliers, is annoying cyclists.
    You actually got the point in you first post. It is a b**** session.

The bar to be defined an annoying cyclists is so low that just existence is enough to qualify…

Top Bottom