• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sounds like the hate goes both ways. Most drivers are considerate of bikers and give them all the consideration they can.

Don

Could you show me any hate in this post?

This paragraph is my experience:

“Most people only think about what they know. I know people that ride 10,000 plus miles per year, they do not even own a car. I know folks that have routes they ride often that are 100-150 miles a day, hard to ride that in a park or get to work.”

The common ground of gun folks and cyclists:

“Actually gun folks and many cyclists have a lot in common, their bicycles are quite similar to guns that folks tinker with, swap parts, or tune up to run better.”

Saying I quit serious road riding because of texting, and those that like to threaten and endanger cyclists as some have said in this thread and made it analogous to those that hate guns:

“I have mostly quit road riding since the proliferation of texting and because of unhinged bicycle haters on the road. Haters every bit as unhinged as that person calling the cops because they saw your gun when you bent over to get something of the shelf at a store…”

We could and have filled threads with bad drivers stories but incredibly you think differently. WOW!

Maybe the hate is not on my end…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Perhaps not that you've seen, but it does happen. Probably more often than a cyclist gets stopped. What started the Mike Brown stop?
    And what is an aggressive breed dog? And aggressive to what?
    The only mention of aggressive breed dogs was speculation as to why an old lady walks her toy dog in the street. Nothing ever happens when a small dog is perceived by the big dog as being in their territory? I used an old lady I have actually seen in the street as an example and gave my perceived reason why she was there in the tax discussion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As a cyclist, what fuel tax or special fuel tax do you pay?
    As a cyclist, what vehicle registration fees do you pay?

Those things are only paid by motorists. Cyclists don't pay them. If cyclists also own motor vehicles, they have paid those taxes and fees because of the use of their motor vehicles on the roads, not because of the use of their bicycles. Trying to force this point really just implies that you don't intend to have a sincere discussion on the matter of motor vehicles and bicycles sharing the roads.
    I mean look at all the wear and tear bicycles put on roads. They need to be taxed for that ****! Think of all the potholes opening up because of bicycles. When I say it that way, one might think, uh, you serious? How much could a bicycle impact paved roads? And to that I say, if you accumulated all the wear and tear from all roads in the US onto one stretch of road, there would be potholes. Plural. That means like 1.5. So yeah. That **** needs taxed!

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    When I was young and learned to ride a bike I was told to stay out of the streets. Nowadays a cyclisst can be ticketed for riding on a sidewalk.

I don't understand how one can find enjoyment while riding a bicycle on a busy road. It's a constant threat of injury or death to the bike rider.

Cyclists create their own danger. It's impossible for a cyclist to adhere to most rules of the road, especially as it pertains to speed.

Liquorcycles (moped/scooters) are required to have license plates to operate on the roads, why not bicyces?
    Outside of the Interstates (controlled access), I am not aware of any "rules of the road, especially as it pertains to speed" except exceeding the speed limit.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I mean look at all the wear and tear bicycles put on roads. They need to be taxed for that ****! Think of all the potholes opening up because of bicycles. When I say it that way, one might think, uh, you serious? How much could a bicycle impact paved roads? And to that I say, if you accumulated all the wear and tear from all roads in the US onto one stretch of road, there would be potholes. Plural. That means like 1.5. So yeah. That **** needs taxed!

They need a fuel tax as well.
    If have to slow down for them because they are blocking the road, and then accelerate to pass, that's going to cause increased fuel consumption for me (and everyone else on the road) to get back to the speed limit. (Which I follow precisely!)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well, Amish were I'm from don't pay road tax either, but yet the shoulders of the roads are built wider for them and the bicycles. Ever seen what the Yoders horses, wagons, buggies and surrey's can do to a road in a few short years.
    Bikes have a impact on the taxpayer, even more so with those that pay tag registration fee's. Anything on the roads should pay the necessary fee's.

https://bikeleague.org/sites/default/files/StateRevenueSources_June2014 (1).pdf

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Well, Amish were I'm from don't pay road tax either, but yet the shoulders of the roads are built wider for them and the bicycles.
    Yes they do. Amish buggies and wagons are plated just like cars in Indiana. Would you like me to get a picture of one next time I visit the neighbor?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The only mention of aggressive breed dogs was speculation as to why an old lady walks her toy dog in the street. Nothing ever happens when a small dog is perceived by the big dog as being in their territory? I used an old lady I have actually seen in the street as an example and gave my perceived reason why she was there in the tax discussion.
    Still doesn't answer the question.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Bicycles seem pretty scarce out here in hilly gravel road country.
    This thread is epic and I hate to serious it up at all but just want to say that while I have had some cyclist hate in the past those days are behind me. This is coming from a guy who should be the stereotypical redneck run them over type, but I have newfound respect for them as we see a hoard of them ride by the farm pretty regularly, like hundreds at once and then all the stragglers, usually twice a week, and then 5-10 on Saturday down the gravel road. I respect them enough that I always pull way over on the gravel, and if it's dusty I stop until they're past. It's gone from an annoyance to something that actually feels pretty good, even though I don't know any of them.
    I've actually encouraged others to be kind to them as well.

Just here to pat myself on the back, carry on now.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This thread is epic and I hate to serious it up at all but just want to say that while I have had some cyclist hate in the past those days are behind me. This is coming from a guy who should be the stereotypical redneck run them over type, but I have newfound respect for them as we see a hoard of them ride by the farm pretty regularly, like hundreds at once and then all the stragglers, usually twice a week, and then 5-10 on Saturday down the gravel road. I respect them enough that I always pull way over on the gravel, and if it's dusty I stop until they're past. It's gone from an annoyance to something that actually feels pretty good, even though I don't know any of them.

Two guys on bikes this AM...on bike path! I honked and waved at them as I passed. Give peace a chance, boys! :D

You guys are truly Poppy Bush's 1001st and 1002nd Points of Light. I was such a dyed-in-the-wool hater of the Free Rider Concept of Public Financing, I used to spend my recreational free time on the Internet b!tching about it. But I was so moved by your senseless acts of beauty and kindness, I'm going to actually do something besides beech on the Internet. I'm going to write my Congressman and ask for a below-the-line tax deduction of the portion of your gas taxes that go to support cyclists, for both of you.

And anybody else like you. I'm feeling generous :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes they do. Amish buggies and wagons are plated just like cars in Indiana. Would you like me to get a picture of one next time I visit the neighbor?

I believe you, thats good, they need to pay also.
    Where I'm from in St Marys co, Md no tags on Amish rides.
    I've yet to see tags on Ag equipment on the roads between fields.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Can one roll coal with a big Vermeer Trencher?

Top Bottom