• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    • Overtaking Situations: Regardless of the type of vessel, the overtaking vessel is usually the give-way vessel. The stand-on vessel should maintain its course and speed, while the overtaking vessel should keep out of the way until it is past and clear.
    • Narrow Channels: In narrow channels, all vessels should keep as near the channel’s outer limit on their starboard side. A boat shorter than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel can not hinder the passage of a vessel that can navigate only in a narrow channel or fairway.
    • Traffic Separation Schemes: In traffic separation schemes, a vessel should join or leave a traffic lane at the smallest angle to the general direction of traffic flow. A vessel should try to avoid crossing traffic lanes and should cross on a heading as close as possible to right angles to the prevailing traffic flow direction if obliged.
    • Vessels Not Under Command or Restricted in their Ability to Maneuver: These vessels, due to exceptional circumstances, cannot maneuver as required by the COLREGs and are, therefore, usually given the right of way.
    • Vessels Engaged in Fishing: Vessels engaged in fishing, when underway, shall have the right of way over other vessels, except those not under command or restricted in their ability to maneuver.

Also, not included above..
    vessels stationary and flying the Diver Down flag.
    vessels engaged in salvage

also probably not a good idea to make a run at a military vessel, even in a sailboat.
    They tend to get nervous about bombs
    Regular maneuvering that doesn't take you into them, regular rules apply.

And let's not forget special areas.. such as military base waters..
    Or exclusion areas designated for missile launch testing, or submergence/surfacing submarines outside of shipping lanes

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

also probably not a good idea to make a run at a military vessel, even in a sailboat.
    Do not run military vessels so not applicable to me. LOL

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Or exclusion areas designated for missile launch testing, or submergence/surfacing submarines outside of shipping lanes

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just vacationing out of Annapolis in rental boats but try to be prepared. Have not been back in 15 years or so…
    And the local water man thank you for that.
    To cut someones crab trap and let it go is a typical uneducated power boater thing.

You might want to review Chapmans chapter's 14 -16 again.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am now. LOL.

Used to ride 6000 miles a year and even with bad knees didn’t need a E-bike to get up hills…

When I was young I rode a bike everywhere for transportation back in the day. I was skinny then. After I got married we got into mountain biking. We did nowhere near 6K miles/year but we weren't touring either. Just did trails on the weekends. Can't do that anymore. Well, maybe I could if I wanted to spend the $ on a e-mtb. At this point I'm fine with going to the park.

I put 1200 miles on the bike each of the last couple of years, except this year. I won't close it out anywhere near that. Other things took priority. Projects are done. So we're going out more.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

In 91, I was taking my Sailboat under sail down the Inter coastal and as soon as I entered The Cape Fear River I had a Coast Guard boarding with 4 Coasties climbing onboard.
    They stayed aboard until we were well past The Navys Loading Docks on the river.
    Newport News was empty and Cape Fear was stacked deep with ships being loaded with munitions heading to the Mediterranean.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In 91, I was taking my Sailboat under sail down the Inter coastal and as soon as I entered The Cape Fear River I had a Coast Guard boarding with 4 Coasties climbing onboard.
    They stayed aboard until we were well past The Navys Loading Docks on the river.
    Newport News was empty and Cape Fear was stacked deep with ships being loaded with munitions heading to the Mediterranean.
    They get a little nervous

1698467557991.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I don't advocate banning bicycles from roads.

However, it is a simple fact that drivers of gasoline or diesel powdered vehicles pay specific taxes, that are more or less proportionate to the amount of time they spend operating said vehicles on the road, and are specifically designated for use in building/repairing said roads. There is no equivalent tax for time spent cycling on the road.

The implications of this fact may or may not have anything to do with the debate over what the proper way for cyclists to use or not use public roads is. But trying to obfuscate this fact isn't helping.
    Yep. That's the reason why many states add on a separate registration fee for EVs and PHEV's every year. They pay no fuel tax for the roads that they use.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The disconnect and irony in this post is remarkable. The whole premise of the thread is entitled vehicle drivers that cannot be delayed for a moment by a bicyclist and want to control their usage of roads and erroneously suggesting that cyclists do not pay taxes that go to roads…
    Cyclists, in fact, do not pay taxes that go to roads.

"There are a number of programs that distribute funding to local units of governments for the purposes of assisting them in the building and maintenance of roads and streets. The sources of revenue for these programs are the state gasoline tax, the special fuels tax, vehicle license fees, state court fees and several smaller sources of revenue."

State gasoline tax: not paid by cyclists.
    Special fuels tax: not paid by cyclists.
    Vehicle license fees: not paid by cyclists.
    State court fees: not paid by cyclists. (I assume these are traffic court-related fees.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    A very fair point.

Maybe it's fair that trucks/cars are assessed certain taxes to pay for roads, and bicycles aren't. I'm not really arguing for/against it, I'm just pointing out that it is currently that way, and I don't like it when people try to obfuscate the fact.
    The germane question is who pays the taxes that build the roads. Cyclists are using roads that motor vehicle drivers paid to build.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I feel like this thread is on the cusp of going epic. Therefore, I was here.

I feel like the older we get, the more we split off into 2 groups. Those who get annoyed by everything and those who get annoyed by almost nothing. I am actively pursuing the latter.
    I'm way more annoyed by some of the ridiculous assertions and arguments being made in this thread than I am in being inconvenienced by SMVs, including cyclists.

Top Bottom