• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    WTH are you even replying to?

Someone drives a car, they use gas, which they paid use taxes on. They also paid registration fees to use that car on public roads. That means they are actively paying to use the road.

Where did I say anything about a fair share?
    The conversation turned to talk of making cyclists pay taxes. I was joking about making cyclists pay for bike lanes, and then making them use the bike lanes.

Well. Half joking. These ****ers in some cities use tax payer money to pay for all these bike lanes that no one uses.

I drive through New Albany often enough and I have never seen anyone using the bike lanes on Spring street. I have seen people riding bikes on sidewalks for **** sake. They took away car lanes to fit bike lanes that no one uses! Let the people who use them pay for them. New Albany wouldn't have bike lanes if that were so. And obviously they would not be missed for it.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Nice diversion. The point you were supposedly making is that somehow cyclists don't pay enough/their share of gas taxes/registration fees/licensing fees

All I did was point out the glaring flaw in your 'argument' and mention some people have multiple cars to forestall an even more specious claim that somehow because we are cyclists we don't drive our cars enough or something to pay our fair share of road use tax

So, if your daily driver is some 18 mpg truck, you probably buy more gas annually than I do for my WRX (which only means you have chosen unwisely) but given total family gas consumption it likely evens out
    So I am unwise because my suburban gets 18 mpg and it does..your wrx. that’s probably has grenade for an engine makes who unwise. Better strap the bike on back just in case… as long as this evens out.. this thread is epic. I’m done…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wow. That may have been the widest "veering off path" that I've ever seen. You haven't been hitting the devil's lettuce have you Bug?

I rode my bike all over the place when I was a kid. On busy streets (for back then), on neighborhood streets, etc.. Never had an issue, because I respected the motorized traffic and the damage it could do to me if I interacted with it (and helmets, knee and elbow pads, and spandex were never even heard of back then!). I did my darndest to stay out of their way. It worked great! Why the need for all the bicycle "aggression" today?
    What you did as a kid riding in a neighborhood is not relevant to those riding 50-100 miles a day…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    • Overtaking Situations: Regardless of the type of vessel, the overtaking vessel is usually the give-way vessel. The stand-on vessel should maintain its course and speed, while the overtaking vessel should keep out of the way until it is past and clear.
    • Narrow Channels: In narrow channels, all vessels should keep as near the channel’s outer limit on their starboard side. A boat shorter than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel can not hinder the passage of a vessel that can navigate only in a narrow channel or fairway.
    • Traffic Separation Schemes: In traffic separation schemes, a vessel should join or leave a traffic lane at the smallest angle to the general direction of traffic flow. A vessel should try to avoid crossing traffic lanes and should cross on a heading as close as possible to right angles to the prevailing traffic flow direction if obliged.
    • Vessels Not Under Command or Restricted in their Ability to Maneuver: These vessels, due to exceptional circumstances, cannot maneuver as required by the COLREGs and are, therefore, usually given the right of way.
    • Vessels Engaged in Fishing: Vessels engaged in fishing, when underway, shall have the right of way over other vessels, except those not under command or restricted in their ability to maneuver.

Top Bottom