Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We had a thread for 'pet peeves' and cars

This one is not that.
    It is about CYCLISTS.

It's even in the title.
    I AM one. What about you? If it is only about cyclists, do you know wherefrom you speak?

And the thread is FULL of cage people saying cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the roads to inconvenience them; so whether you believe it to be true or not, the thread is most certainly about the car/cyclist interaction - or if you take the title literally, it is about hate, which has no minimum requirement for number of wheels or for wheels at all

Seems more apropos that the people bitching about cyclists should take it to pet peeves, along with bitching about people who drive faster or slower than them

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I AM one. What about you? If it is only about cyclists, do you know wherefrom you speak?

And the thread is FULL of cage people saying cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the roads to inconvenience them; so whether you believe it to be true or not, the thread is most certainly about the car/cyclist interaction - or if you take the title literally, it is about hate, which has no minimum requirement for number of wheels or for wheels at all

Seems more apropos that the people bitching about cyclists should take it to pet peeves, along with bitching about people who drive faster or slower than them
    One does not have to be a cyclist to talk about being annoyed by cyclists. One only has to be annoyed by cyclists to be experienced in the topic.

Now, gaining a better understanding of the behavior that they find annoying, from a cyclist's perspective, can be helpful. But that's neither here nor there.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Someone drives a car, they use gas, which they paid use taxes on. They also paid registration fees to use that car on public roads. That means they are actively paying to use the road.
    Again, this would somehow only matter if cyclists did not also have cars. I don't run errands on my bikes, and I wouldn't just go out for a drive except on a few twisty roads, so the bicycle isn't causing me to somehow use less gas and thus not pay for my use of the roads with all of my vehicles

If somehow the bicycle not paying the various taxes is germane, then it must turn on my somehow paying less total taxes than you think I should, but no consideration is given to whether I perhaps drive all of my vehicles MORE than you drive yours and thus pay MORE in total taxes - hence the questioning about how much is enough, is there a minimum tax threshold that will satisfy you, what is my 'fair share' and the reference to Elizabeth (Warren)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well. Half joking. These ****ers in some cities use tax payer money to pay for all these bike lanes that no one uses.
    Gee, let's see

Bike lane's get made, but cyclists don't want to use them. Maybe they're a mistake?

Perhaps you should poll cyclists to see if they even want them. Seems more like another boondoggle excuse for politicians to waste money and claim they're doing good or get written up in some 'architectural digest' of urban planning as some kind of visionary

If you asked those cyclists annoyingly exercising their freedom, they would overwhelmingly tell you they don't want them. Don't blame us for a solution in search of a problem we were never consulted on

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just vacationing out of Annapolis in rental boats but try to be prepared. Have not been back in 15 years or so.

Found a great bar that had baseball size crab cakes for $10. God I miss that…
    My mother this summer visiting my brother for the weekend.
    He trapped them a few hundred yards away in the Pax River.
    Whats left, gets picked for crab cakes the next day.
    12345.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Cyclists, in fact, do not pay taxes that go to roads.
    This is incorrect. They pay all of the same taxes you do and likely more. Is your argument that AT THE MOMENT they are cycling they are somehow getting something for free?

To calculate if it was really free, wouldn't you have to calculate total taxes an individual paid per mile of road use, and again how much would be enough - if a cyclist paid as much or more than YOU, or average or median amounts? You fly a lot, would you wish to subjected to a similar road use tax because your road use was lower than average (or median) and you somehow weren't paying your fair share? Karl would be proud

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The germane question is who pays the taxes that build the roads. Cyclists are using roads that motor vehicle drivers paid to build.
    Where can I get my cyclist's exemption from paying any taxes that you so speciously assert? Or, could it be you actually are aware cyclists pay just as much tax as any other road user if not more?

Oh, and moist of the roads I ride on were likely paid to be BUILT more than several generations ago. I-70 was built through Indiana in 1956, I-69 in 1971

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, what you're saying is that motorists pay those taxes? Thanks for confirming.

Cyclists who have paid those taxes have done so by virtue of being motorists, not cyclists. It is entirely conceivable that someone may own a bicycle while also not owning a motor vehicle.
    Bravo! An absolute MONUMENT to being technically but meaninglessly correct

Am I not still a cyclist while driving a car? Must I actually be strapped to be considered a proponent of RKBA? Is the identity solely tied to the activity? you know better

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The proper question is do “all” cyclists drive automobiles? If not, then there are cyclists using roadways they haven’t paid for.
    So motorcycles wouldn't count? What if they have gasoline powered lawnmowers, riding mowers or other yard maintenance tools like chainsaws?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Gee, let's see

Bike lane's get made, but cyclists don't want to use them. Maybe they're a mistake?

Perhaps you should poll cyclists to see if they even want them. Seems more like another boondoggle excuse for politicians to waste money and claim they're doing good or get written up in some 'architectural digest' of urban planning as some kind of visionary

If you asked those cyclists annoyingly exercising their freedom, they would overwhelmingly tell you they don't want them. Don't blame us for a solution in search of a problem we were never consulted on
    So then we agree on that. If we made all the cyclists who want bike lanes, pay for bike lanes, we both believe there would be no bike lanes. Except in Ingomike's HOA-controlled neighborhood.

I even gave evidence for the prediction that cyclists don't really want bike lanes by showing an example of a city that put in bike lanes which, no one uses. Some even prefer to use the sidewalks. But honestly I think those guys were homeless. Anyway. From the "tone" of your post I get the feeling you seem to be disagreeing. So are you just agreeing disagreeably?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's only a compact tractor. So I probably can't run over the sailboats on the roads I might drive on, like I run over cyclists. But I can crush the hell out of those crabs then scoop them up in the loader.

Crabs don't pay taxes anyway, serves them right. What do you do with all their pot?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You're steaming a cake? I bet even crabs won't eat that. No wonder they are crabby about it... No wonder you're cooking for crustaceans instead of people.
    They are crabby because as scavengers they thrive for a treatment plant to overflow in the river that they live in. When they are full we trap them and eat them.
    Boy crabs or girl crabs we have no preference.

Top Bottom